• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BTP Camera Van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't see the issue as enforcement by way if FPNs instigated by a mobile source (van in this case) will be using the same legislation as any other red light offence using the Road Traffic Act.

That's what I said. But it's not what the police advised a couple of years ago.

I agree that a fixed ANPR camera at every highway LX would reduce motorist abuse considerably.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
There is (or was?...not been for a few years) a fixed red light camera at Garve on the Kyle line.

How ridiculous that people cant wait a minute or 2 for the 8 trains a day that use that line!

You can see the camera in this link

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=25670

Still is on both sides. It's a very busy road, with a lot of traffic heading for the ferry 35 miles north in Ullapool. The lights can be on for two or more minutes, depending on whether there is a train waiting to go in each direction, plus the adverse gradient descending to the crossing from Kyle along with the 15mph permanent speed restriction.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I suspect there are a few locations where such a camera may be able to detect speeding offences in addition - Walton Street in Hull comes to mind - level crossing on an urban dual carriage way. Presumably the BTP could enforce this too to help cover costs?

fsmr

BTP use one in Leicester and Rutland a lot on the full barrier LCs but along the Wreake valley on the AHBs they have installed new generation red light cameras These such as The Visionics one at Asfordby use ANPR and state of the art technology to monitor the lc with no physical connection. Due to regulations the cams can't be physically connected into the LC so the camera detects when the light sequence starts and records any transgression of the crossing including speed and digital video with time stamp for any court case

Last edited:

RyanB

Saw one of the vans at Kingsknowe Level Crossing a couple weeks ago, I think there is already a static camera there, but it may well be blocked by some overhanging branches (certainly a lot of foliage around there) - but if it's not and it's got a perfectly good view, I wonder why it was there?

michael769

Established Member
The north bound camera is next to a large Leylandii hedge that has had to be cut back from it in the past, so it may well be obscured. I doubt the courts would accept camera evidence unless the pics are 100% cleat.

One of the cameras at nearby Kirknewton has been facing the wrong way for several months and is rather obviously out of action. I suspect they have been out of action since the new crossing kit went in.

No idea why they don't turn the box round the right way, that way it would at least offer some deterrence value.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect there are a few locations where such a camera may be able to detect speeding offences in addition - Walton Street in Hull comes to mind - level crossing on an urban dual carriage way. Presumably the BTP could enforce this too to help cover costs?

No point, the rules have been changed so the fine money goes to the treasury. Any additional admin costs in handling speeding would come out of BTPs budget, which would simply reduce the cash for keeping the railway safe.

Last edited:

Lockwood

They had two BTP vans at Cobham MSA a few weeks back doing public education.
I had a good chat with an officer, got to play with the CCTV camera on one of the vans.

The BTP vans also do "normal" ANPR checks through the DVLA database - tax, MOT, insurance, etc.
The will then either notify the DVLA or the local terrestrial force since it is not their role to deal with that.

He seemed to think that fixed cameras may be getting type approval soon

Leylandlad

Van was at Bamber Bridge again last night about 18.00 in the same layby.

Seems they work in the dark :)

matchmaker

Established Member
As yet, fixed red light ANPR cameras are not enforceable at level crossings. There needs to be a change in the road traffic regulations to permit it. Apparently.

Plenty of drivers have been prosecuted after being caught by the cameras at my local crossing - Cornton.

Leylandlad

Yes I saw it too. It left around 21.00.

I also noticed that there's no yellow box markings on the crossing as referred to earlier in the thread?

I'll have another look tomorrow and report back...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.