• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BTP - Special Constables

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
I noticed in the local newspaper that BTP are looking for volunteer Special Constables.

Whilst it is an unpaid role, does it come with any benefits in kind?

(I've had the usual internet seach rake-around and turnd up nothing of interest).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

Reorganisation[edit]From 1900, several railway companies re-organised their police forces. The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway virtually reformed their police force from scratch in that year, followed by the Great Eastern Railway, the North Eastern Railway and Midland Railway in 1910, the Caledonian Railway in 1917 and lastly the Great Western Railway in 1918.

Inter-war years[edit]The Railways Act 1921 amalgamated over one hundred separate railway systems (of which about 20 had organised police forces) into four groups:

The Great Western Railway
The London and North Eastern Railway
The London, Midland and Scottish Railway
The Southern Railway
Each had its own police force controlled by a Chief of Police. These four forces were organised in the same way; each split into a number of divisions headed by a superintendent, divided into a number of divisions posts led by an inspector. Detectives worked with their uniformed colleagues at most locations. Many 'non-police' duties were retained however, with officers acting as crossing keepers or locking and sealing wagons.

World War II[edit]During the war, the strength of the railway police doubled. With many men conscripted, special constables and women police were again employed.

They seem to have been around during the second world war if the above can be relied on from Wiki.

route:oxford

Established Member
As well as out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed as mentioned above, you'd get free off-duty travel on any TfL-run public transport services (LU, LO, London Buses, DLR, etc).

That's a handy wee bonus. Is that evidenced with a badge or is an Oyster Card supplied no matter where you work in the UK?

Any other rail companies offer free travel for specials?

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I think it used to be a warrant card but is nowadays an Oyster card. I'm struggling to determine whether this would be given to officers posted away from London. Your best bet is probably to call them and ask

Silv1983

I'm guessing you mean material "benefits" - or at this this is what I am drawing from the context of your post.

I could give you a list if intangible benefits such as an impressive addition to your CV, and a wealth of core competency skills and experiences which would put you head and shoulders above other candidates when applying for a job; meeting new people; increased social skills; conflict management; the free rail travel as previously mentioned. The list goes on but I don't want to come across all pious.

On a tangent I'm suprised rail companies don't encourage their staff to join - as I know Metrolink in Manchester have a successful team of GMP specials from their staff who get work time to work the network.

falcon

I know six people who took this BTP specials job and all of them packed it in within 5yrs. Hassle and abuse for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.