Building a model steam locomotive questions?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications' started by PaxmanValenta, 2 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaxmanValenta

PaxmanValenta Member

Hi
    I'm thinking of building a 7 1/4" gauge steam locomotive. I want to run it on coal and use copper fire tubes. Possibly super heater tubes too.

What diameter of steel tube for the boiler should I need and how thick should the steel be?

Also if I was doing my loco in 5" gauge what size boiler.

Normal steam locos have a fire brick arch inside the fire box. What is this for and is it needed on miniature locos?

2. swj99

swj99 Member

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US1231854

3. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

There are a huge range of model locomotives about, and the boiler size will depend on what sort you are modelling. For example, a model of a standard gauge loco will have a smaller boiler than that of a narrow-gauge model running on the same 5.5" or 7.25" track.

The construction of boilers is particularly carefully controlled, and has to be checked after construction and every year or two by an independent assessor before you are given an insurance certificate; and without such a certificate you cannot run your loco outside your own back garden! I strongly advise finding your local model engineering society who have suitable running tracks available. You will find them helpful in both the construction and the running of your loco, plus giving you somewhere to run it.

4. silverfoxcc

silverfoxcc Member

Paxman

Have you got anywhere yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.