• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Building a Station

Jasper Greene

I’ve been scouring the internet for a few hours and I can’t find a cost for a small platform. I am planning the hypothetical cost of a small heritage railway for my own interest and I’m on the stage of platform and infrastructure. I’m looking at somewhere between a 30ft wooden halt and 50ft stone one. Costs should be cheap as possible but as this is theory it doesn’t exactly matter. All the thanks and regards of myself, Jasper Greene.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I’m looking at somewhere between a 30ft wooden halt and 50ft stone one.
I'm assuming you already have information on the legals / Land Registry requirements, for constructing a platform at a location?

At such a short length, are you intending to use the platform solely for loco staff?
If it will be for any other purpose(s), you might find there are regulatory stipulations regardimg a minimim platform length and width, the required height min + max and the maximum gap from platform to rolling stock.
You might also be required by law, to offer a specific mobility access.

Why not contact a UK heritage railway? It's possible they can give you some pointers. They'll also be able to guide you on the total cost of ownership, which I guess is several millions.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I’ve been scouring the internet for a few hours and I can’t find a cost for a small platform. I am planning the hypothetical cost of a small heritage railway for my own interest and I’m on the stage of platform and infrastructure. I’m looking at somewhere between a 30ft wooden halt and 50ft stone one. Costs should be cheap as possible but as this is theory it doesn’t exactly matter. All the thanks and regards of myself, Jasper Greene.

So you're proposing to build your own heritage railway? Will it be carrying passengers or open to the public? A platform of that length would not accommodate even one coach, unless your railway is going to be miniature, or narrow gauge. If you're intending to build a full-size standard gauge railway I assume you have the necessary funding in place, which will be, to put it mildly, a lot.

AndyY1951

Why not contact the Gloucestershire-Warwickshire railway and ask how much it cost to build the Hayles Abbey Halt platform? This is a simple timber-faced structure built by volunteers. I'm sure in return for a donation to the fundraising for their current viaduct repairs they would advise.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Why not contact the Gloucestershire-Warwickshire railway and ask how much it cost to build the Hayles Abbey Halt platform? This is a simple timber-faced structure built by volunteers. I'm sure in return for a donation to the fundraising for their current viaduct repairs they would advise.
Great suggestion. And, as the OP's profile location is Totnes, I'd expect they could garner useful info from the South Devon Railway, too.

Jasper Greene

So you're proposing to build your own heritage railway? Will it be carrying passengers or open to the public? A platform of that length would not accommodate even one coach, unless your railway is going to be miniature, or narrow gauge. If you're intending to build a full-size standard gauge railway I assume you have the necessary funding in place, which will be, to put it mildly, a lot.
No, Im thinking how much it theoretically would be for fun. I don’t like to get ahead of myself! Don’t worry, it’s sorted now. Anyway, the platform wouldn’t have to be that long for a small opening heritage site.

Great suggestion. And, as the OP's profile location is Totnes, I'd expect they could garner useful info from the South Devon Railway, too.
I did contact them about Nappers Halt on the SDR, which they were happy to communicate about.

50002Superb

The op stated it was hypothetical

Ducatist4

I don't have a figure specifically for platforms but i do have a square meter rate for other railway buildings.

1707740743451.png