• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bulb Energy Has Gone Into Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
As a customer of Bulb Energy, this directly affects me.

Due to the size of Bulb, the customers will not simply be transferred to another supplier straight away.

Instead, it will be placed into "Special Administration", which means that it is effectively nationalised, until the company can be sold, taken over or customers transferred to other suppliers.

Anyone else affected by this?

Energy firm Bulb set to go into administration​

Bulb Energy, which has 1.7 million customers, has announced that the firm will be put into administration.
It is the largest UK energy company to face difficulties following a sharp rise in wholesale gas prices this year.
Bulb will become the first energy company to be placed into "special administration", where it is run by the government through the regulator Ofgem.
This measure is only used if Ofgem is unable to find another company to take over an energy firm's customers.
Customers have been advised not to take any action and they will be contacted when any steps are needed.
"If you're a Bulb member, please don't worry as your energy supply is secure and all credit balances are protected," a company spokesperson said.
Bulb is the UK's seventh biggest energy company

The Special Administrator Regime (SAR) was set up for when an energy company goes bust but is too big to have its customers transferred to another firm.
The aim of the regime is to stop financial failure spreading across the industry.
A Bulb spokesperson said taking this route means the company "will continue to operate with no interruption of service or supply to members".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Instead, it will be placed into "Special Administration", which means that it is effectively nationalised, until the company can be sold, taken over or customers transferred to other suppliers.

Guess that answers the question of 'who on earth would buy it in its current predicament?'. Nobody!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It had almost as many customers as the rest of the firms that have recently gone bust combined.

duncanp

Established Member
No other energy company is going to want to take on Bulb customers unless the price they are allowed to charge is significantly increased.

I reckon that Bulb could stay in administration until the review of the energy price cap next spring.

Or alternative Bulb will have to increase its tarriffs before then.

Whatever happens, I have no doubt I will end up paying more for my electricity.

duncanp

Established Member
I can remember when Railtrack went bust, or to be more accurate, it went into "Special Railway Administration".

Because Railtrack was providing an essential public service, it couldn't be allowed to just cease trading like any other business that was insolvent.

The government also had to step in to prop up the TOCs when passenger numbers collapsed last year due to the lockdown and working from home.

This is a similar situation, and it will take time to sort out.

I don't think we will see a long term solution until the wholesale energy market stabilises, so that we don't see huge price swings which make it very difficult to run a business.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The advice seems to be that you should NOT chnage supplier if you are BULB customer. Martin Lewis in particular is vociferous on this.

duncanp

Established Member
The advice seems to be that you should NOT chnage supplier if you are BULB customer. Martin Lewis in particular is vociferous on this.

That is what I am going to do - I don't think there are any substantially cheaper deals on offer at the moment anyway.

Veteran Member
As a customer of Bulb Energy, this directly affects me.

Due to the size of Bulb, the customers will not simply be transferred to another supplier straight away.

Anyone else affected by this?

Yes. Sit tight, wait, and prepare for another price increase :(

xotGD

Established Member
As the Not the Nine O'clock News parody of That's Life put it:

'We phoned the electricity board'

'They said "This has absolutely nothing to do with us"'

Privatisation. Still going well.

duncanp

Established Member
There is now a statement on their website.

Reassuring that the tarriff is not going to change during the specila administration process.

Bulb is planning to enter special administration​

We’ve made the difficult decision to support Bulb being placed into special administration. This process is designed to protect Bulb members, ensuring there’s no change to your supply and your credit balance is protected.

What you need to know​

Special administration is designed to allow Bulb to continue to operate as usual so you don’t need to take any action. Your tariffs are not changing, and the price cap applies to all consumer energy tariffs. If you pay for your energy by top up, your top ups will continue to work as normal. If you’re in the process of switching to or from Bulb, your switch will continue.

We’re expecting a high volume of calls today, so please only call if it’s an emergency, you’re in a vulnerable situation or you are struggling to pay your bills. That way, we can help those who need it most at this time. And please bear in mind that response times will be longer than normal.

Smart meter installations and other metering work will continue. In the event of a metering emergency, where energy supply has been lost, please call us, or take a look at the support and information on the Ofgem website. If you need additional support, you can also contact Citizens Advice on 0808 223 1133 or contact them via the Citzens Advice website.

Find out how to contact us if you need to. Or you can manage your account using the Bulb app.

A note from our team​

When we founded Bulb in 2015 it was because we thought energy customers deserved a better deal. We believed strongly that we should do things differently, and that by building a talented team and creating our own technology we could make energy simpler, cheaper and greener.

We've been so proud to grow Bulb to 6% of the UK market. When we started Bulb just 1% of households were with renewable energy suppliers. Now that figure is over 30%. Green is going mainstream, and Bulb and our members have played a part in making that happen.

We expanded to France, Spain and Texas, taking our technology, our best in class customer service, and everything we learned in the UK to new countries. And we launched new products, like energy management options for EV drivers to help continue to cut carbon emissions and meet net zero targets by 2050. We were one of the only energy companies to be a B Corp, which is assessed against rigorous standards around sustainability; showing how business can be a force for good. And for each new member to join Bulb, we donated £2 to the Bulb Foundation, fighting to address the climate crisis. As important for us was looking after our members, especially the most vulnerable. We're proud to have launched a best in class Smart Pay as You Go product to make it much easier for our members to top up their prepay energy; Ofgem rated our Warm Home Discount product #1 in the energy industry; and we doubled the proportion of Bulb members getting access to our priority services by making them easier and simpler to access.

The energy crisis​

When we started exploring fundraising options, we were delighted to receive lots of interest from investors to fund our business plans and future growth. However, the rising energy crisis in the UK and around the world has concerned investors who can’t go ahead while wholesale prices are so high and the price cap—designed to protect customers—currently means suppliers provide energy at a significant loss.

Wholesale prices have skyrocketed and continue to be extremely volatile. The gas supply shortage combined with lower exports from Russia and increased demand means they remain high and unpredictable. Prices have hit close to £4.00 per therm recently, compared with 50p per therm a year ago. We’ve always been big supporters of the idea of a price cap to protect customers, but the current price cap is set at a level around 70p per therm, well below the cost of energy. The news last week about Nord Stream 2 has sent gas prices back up again. Nord Stream 2 is a new gas pipeline from Russia to Europe which must be approved by Germany and the EU. Last week, Germany suspended its approval process, and there’s growing geopolitical pressure to scrap the project. As a result, the industry has seen many suppliers fail over the past few months and many more are expected to do so over the winter.

Special administration​

Special administration is designed to protect the customers of a large energy supplier that’s become insolvent. The special administrator is required by the Government under the 2011 Energy Act to continue to supply energy to customers, and will protect customer credit balances. The process to appoint special administrators is not yet complete but we expect them to be appointed shortly.

Our International businesses in France, Spain and Texas are separate businesses from Bulb UK and are not immediately affected by us entering special administration.

Thank you​

Thank you to our members and to our team who continue to work so hard to build amazing products, provide brilliant customer service, and bring renewable energy to our members around the world.

PG

Established Member
There is now a statement on their website.

https://bulb.co.uk/blog/bulb-special-administration
...the industry has seen many suppliers fail over the past few months and many more are expected to do so over the winter....
With reference to the text I've put in bold -
  • I'm wondering if any of those who fail in the future are likely to be larger, in terms of customer base, than Bulb?
  • If so then presumably they will also be subject to 'Special Administration'?

Darandio

Established Member
With reference to the text I've put in bold -
  • I'm wondering if any of those who fail in the future are likely to be larger, in terms of customer base, than Bulb?
  • If so then presumably they will also be subject to 'Special Administration'?

With wholesale prices up nearly 800% in a year it's probably inevitable that larger providers will fail if the therm price isn't brought back under control. We're all facing increases for our domestic usage but there's no way they can absorb that sort of wholesale increase for a long period of time.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
That is what I am going to do - I don't think there are any substantially cheaper deals on offer at the moment anyway.
As I read it earlier, the difference with the Bulb situation is that your current tariff is preserved, rather than you being moved to a new supplier on 'whatever' rates. How that will pan out remains to be seen. I guess in 12 months time everyone's fixed rate tariff will have expired and they will be on Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) - unless they move to a new tariff in the meantime. As discussed in another thread, the fixed deals on offer at the moment are higher than the SVT, and some suppliers refuse to sign people up to the SVT.

If transferring tread carefully, get the actual prices per unit and calculate for your personal circumstances, rather than relying on the wacky estimate the supplier uses for a 'typical' customer.

With wholesale prices up nearly 800% in a year it's probably inevitable that larger providers will fail if the therm price isn't brought back under control. We're all facing increases for our domestic usage but there's no way they can absorb that sort of wholesale increase for a long period of time.
Some cycnics may suggest this is why some providers are massively increasing customers Direct Debit payments, without them being based on actual customer usage. Cheaper to borrow from the customer at 0% than the money markets. And if they go bits up, they walk away with the cash and the government / new supplier / all the other customers contribute to paying the lost credit balances of the failed companies customers.

Ediswan

Established Member
And if they go bits up, they walk away with the cash and the government / new supplier / all the other customers contribute to paying the lost credit balances of the failed companies customers.
Are you suggesting that customers can lose their credit balance ? All the reports I have seen and heard say credit balances are protected.

PG

Established Member
Agreed.

Would it be better for the whole supply industry (and consumers?) if all suppliers 'threw in the towel'?

I'm asking this seeing as it seems likely that any that are of a certain size will be subject to special administration rather than ceasing to trade.

Trackman

Established Member
Are you suggesting that customers can lose their credit balance ? All the reports I have seen and heard say credit balances are protected.
You are protected by OFGEM, unlike businesses who have wait for the administrators.
Would it be better for the whole supply industry (and consumers?) if all suppliers 'threw in the towel'?

I'm asking this seeing as it seems likely that any that are of a certain size will be subject to special administration rather than ceasing to trade.
That would be fun!
Don't think it would be great for the consumer though.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
No, I'm saying that the actual money paid in advance by the customer disappears into the world of the administrator, the creditors of the failed company and possibly the pockets of those owning the failed company if they have sufficiently clever accountants. The customer themselves receives a credit on their account with the new supplier (to the same value as their credit balance with the old supplier, once readings have been agreed etc. so it may not appear immediately). But it is not the same money.

There is, to my knowledge, no insurance or ESCROW of customers advance payments which is then passed from the failed company to the rescuing company to cover that credit balance. Thus it has gone, somewhere. That credit on the customers new account used to be made by the rescuing company, out of the goodness of their heart, as part of the deal will OFGEM. Basically they took the hit as a means of 'buying' a block of new customers, from whom they would recoup their investment in due course through their normal profit making energy rates. It was possible for the well resourced large companies to take that hit because failures happened infrequently, involved relatively few customers, and they were making profits from their customers. OFGEM has, until recently, always been able to find a saviour company.

In the current situation, with the hike in wholesale prices, the lack of profits being made on domestic customers accounts and the number of businesses 'going bust' it has meant that no company can (or is prepared to) swallow that cost any longer. Hence the need for a state owned supplier of last resort. The value of the credit balances of Bulb customers, unless a pot of gold is uncovered by the administrator, will be borne by everyone else in due course. Hence the government (initially) / new supplier (possibly) / all the other customers (most likely) contribute to paying the lost credit balances of the failed companies customers.

XAM2175

Established Member
There is, to my knowledge, no insurance or ESCROW of customers advance payments which is then passed from the failed company to the rescuing company to cover that credit balance. Thus it has gone, somewhere. That credit on the customers new account used to be made by the rescuing company, out of the goodness of their heart, as part of the deal will OFGEM. Basically they took the hit as a means of 'buying' a block of new customers, from whom they would recoup their investment in due course through their normal profit making energy rates. It was possible for the well resourced large companies to take that hit because failures happened infrequently, involved relatively few customers, and they were making profits from their customers. OFGEM has, until recently, always been able to find a saviour company.

(October 2016)
As direct debit payments spread the cost evenly throughout the year, customers typically build up credit during summer which might peak at just over £100. This credit covers the cost of customers using more energy during the winter. As unsecured creditors, these customers are unlikely to get their money back if their supplier becomes insolvent.

However, under the new safety net, Ofgem will now take into account who can best protect consumers’ credit balances as part of the process for selecting a replacement supplier.

Where necessary, Ofgem would allow the replacement supplier to recoup the cost of reimbursing the credit balances through an industry levy. This levy, which would be spread across all energy customers, would only have a small impact on bills.

Ediswan

Established Member
No, I'm saying that the actual money paid in advance by the customer disappears into the world of the administrator, the creditors of the failed company and possibly the pockets of those owning the failed company if they have sufficiently clever accountants. The customer themselves receives a credit on their account with the new supplier (to the same value as their credit balance with the old supplier, once readings have been agreed etc. so it may not appear immediately). But it is not the same money.
Thanks. I hoped that was what you meant, but the term "lost credit balances of the failed companies customers" was open to more than one interpretation.

It is worth noting that the OFGEM safety net was in place well in advance of the current energy market mayhem. The way the open market in energy supply was set up, it was always a possibility that somebody would offer customers a deal they could not deliver. I doubt anybody expected there would ever be so many failures in such short order.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Where necessary, Ofgem would allow the replacement supplier to recoup the cost of reimbursing the credit balances through an industry levy. This levy, which would be spread across all energy customers, would only have a small impact on bills.
Covering the 1.7m customers of Bulb may be something rather more than 'a small impact on bills' - depending on the average credit balance and how long it is spread over.

joncombe

If you are on a fixed price tariff the provider is forced to supply energy at that price (even if it is now well below the wholesale price) for the duration of the contract. If you are on a variable rate the price cap applies. In either case it typically means energy suppliers are being forced to sell energy at less than they are buying it for, at the moment.

Much as I hate the privatised energy industry companies, if this continues for a long time many more will go bust. (I've had my supplier go bust before and also very many billing errors and bad service from Npower, I had to get the Ombudsman involved on them in the end, who ruled in my favour).

In this case I wonder if Bulb customers could be luckier in that if a company is administration it might well be the case they will honour existing fixed-price contracts whereas if another supplier takes over you get put onto whatever tariff they decide on, until you can switch.

I switched to British Gas Evolve back in the summer on a 12 month fixed price tariff so I am hoping they last out the winter!

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Thanks. I hoped that was what you meant, but the term "lost credit balances of the failed companies customers" was open to more than one interpretation.

It is worth noting that the OFGEM safety net was in place well in advance of the current energy market mayhem. The way the open market in energy supply was set up, it was always a possibility that somebody would offer customers a deal they could not deliver. I doubt anybody expected there would ever be so many failures in such short order.
To be honest, I see little benefit in the current set up. The supplier a customer signs up to is merely an administrative intermediary - buying in bulk and selling it on to me in smaller lumps. It was suggested that using 'white label software' a supplier can set up for around £11,000 - not much of an investment in the scale of things - less than a taxi for example. The small size of some of the recently failed suppliers makes you wonder why they bothered!

But thank heavens the OFGEM safety net is in place (for domestic customers).

In this case I wonder if Bulb customers could be luckier in that if a company is administration it might well be the case they will honour existing fixed-price contracts whereas if another supplier takes over you get put onto whatever tariff they decide on, until you can switch.
Yes, that is the case as per the news articles I read.

XAM2175

Established Member
There's some more detail in the administration process in this article:

Bulb Energy has gone bust and will be placed into an untested bailout process that will rely on public money to manage the fallout of the UK’s biggest energy supplier collapse yet.

The company will be handed to a “special administrator” that will have access to government funds to keep it running to supply gas and electricity to its 1.7 million household customers.

The cost to taxpayers is expected to soar through the winter, and could also be shared by households in the form of higher home energy bills in the future if the government cannot recover the costs from a new company through a rescue deal.

Bulb is by far the largest energy supplier to go bust after a string of more than 20 company collapses since September. The total cost of the energy market crunch could run to around £2bn this winter, according to Investec analyst Martin Young. But the final tally remains unknown as “Bulb’s failure takes us into uncharted waters”, he said.

Bulb told its staff that it had made the “difficult decision” to support a special administration. It added that there would be “no interruption of service or supply” and urged customers not to worry “as your energy supply is secure and all credit balances are protected”.

The company’s collapse has been long expected by industry rivals after it struggled to find new investment, or a willing buyer, before the UK’s looming winter energy crisis.

“It has been like watching a zombie movie – you know they’re walking dead but you couldn’t be sure when they’d stop moving,” one senior industry source said. “They’ve long been dicing with death but the recent events in the energy market have been a catalyst for what would have happened anyway.”

Bulb blamed the surge in energy market prices ignited by the global gas crisis for scuppering its plans to raise funds to fuel its ongoing growth, which included new businesses in France, Spain and Texas.

“When we started exploring fundraising options, we were delighted to receive lots of interest from investors to fund our business plans and future growth,” the company said in a blogpost on Monday. “However, the rising energy crisis in the UK and around the world has concerned investors who can’t go ahead while wholesale prices are so high.”

The company also took aim at the UK’s rising energy price cap, which was designed to set a fair energy price for about 15m homes using standard energy tariffs but has not kept pace with the rocketing increases in the wholesale energy markets.

The record increase in energy bills has caused 21 suppliers to collapse since the start of September, leaving the regulator, Ofgem, to find new suppliers to take on more than 2 million customers. The collapse of Bulb brings the number of households affected by a failed energy supplier to more than 3.7m.

The size of Bulb’s customer base means Ofgem is unable to find a supplier that would be willing or able to take on all of Bulb’s customers via its usual safety net process. Instead, the regulator will need to use untested legislation, in place since 2011, to put the company into special administration while a complex plan for its future is mapped out.

The prime minister’s spokesperson said: “Bulb is around three times larger than the largest company that has become insolvent in recent weeks. That’s why we’re taking the special administration regime approach.

“We will seek to appoint the administrators who will effectively run it and provide energy through that system, but at this stage it’s too early to say what the future of that provider is going forward.”

Ofgem plans to apply to court to appoint the administrator once it has had approval from the business secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng.

“Customers will see no disruption to their supply and their account and tariff will continue as normal,” the regulator said. “Bulb staff will still be available to answer calls and queries.”

The process is similar to other bailout schemes used to keep critical infrastructure companies, including British Steel and railways, running with the help of government funds.

Ofgem is expected to work alongside the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the Treasury to keep the company running through the winter and until a fate for its customers is decided.

Some energy industry sources believe the company may be left in “special administration limbo” for up to a year, at a significant cost to the government, because it would be easier to find new private-sector investment or a willing buyer when energy prices have started to return to normal.

Gillian Cooper, the head of energy policy at Citizens Advice, said Bulb customers would be protected by the special administration process and “shouldn’t see much change to their service for now”.

She added: “But when the country’s seventh largest supplier fails, serious questions must be asked about the state of the market and how it’s regulated. It’s clear reforms are needed to prevent consumers and taxpayers from paying the price for supplier failures in future.”

The regulator has conceded in recent weeks that “robust action” was required to overhaul the energy market due to the ongoing supply market crisis.

An Ofgem spokesperson said: “Customers of Bulb do not need to worry – Bulb will continue to operate as normal.”

Out of curiosity I got a couple of quotes from suppliers recently some are reluctant to even quote at the moment, if they are indicative of what the charges will be when my fixed term comes to an end in March its going to be grim. I currently pay 16p per Kw/h electric with 5p overnight for the car, they were quoting 26p per Kw/h and they wouldn't even quote overnight at this stage, daily standing charge was up about 2p. As for the Gas well I currently pay 2.78p per Kw/h one quoted 7.5p and the other 8.26p per Kw/h along with around a 10p a day increase in the standing charge, with an estimated monthly bill increase from £64 to £135 pounds! Lets hope Octopus survive the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.