• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus day out - remaining on bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
I had my hip replaced just coming up to three weeks ago. I’m off work for 9 weeks at least but looking at getting out of the house whilst I’m unable to drive. I have an ENCTS disabled pass so was thinking of getting a bus out there somewhere.
Would operators be OK with me staying on the bus at termini? For example, if I got the 36 out towards Ripon on their demonstrator, would I be able to stay on the bus rather than leave and mull for the next bus back to Leeds? I know I’d have to tap back for the return journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I had my hip replaced just coming up to three weeks ago. I’m off work for 9 weeks at least but looking at getting out of the house whilst I’m unable to drive. I have an ENCTS disabled pass so was thinking of getting a bus out there somewhere.
Would operators be OK with me staying on the bus at termini? For example, if I got the 36 out towards Ripon on their demonstrator, would I be able to stay on the bus rather than leave and mull for the next bus back to Leeds? I know I’d have to tap back for the return journey.
Depends on the driver, but we were told never to leave passengers unattended and what happens if the driver needs the toilet? The time at the terminus might be built into the drivers legal break.

Bayum

Established Member
Depends on the driver, but we were told never to leave passengers unattended and what happens if the driver needs the toilet? The time at the terminus might be built into the drivers legal break.
I don’t know? That’s why I’m asking.

Spsf3232

I don’t know? That’s why I’m asking.
It will all depend on individual drivers. You can only ask when your onboard if you can stay on but please respect that driver if he says no. He may be wanting to go off for a short break and he's entitled to do so.

Just be nice and ask politely and explain your situation and you may get lucky and find a driver who won't mind

Auld reekie

The driver on route could also leave the passengers unattended to use the toilet which does happen.

CBlue

The driver on route could also leave the passengers unattended to use the toilet which does happen.

As pointed out in the post you quoted, though..generally the bus shouldn't be left unattended with passengers on. Usually a company policy to do with liability etc.

Titfield

Established Member
Every company I have worked for had a policy of never leaving passengers on the bus unattended.

Everything is on camera now too.

Yes that was the policy at the operators I worked for. The principal reasons were: to avoid the issue of passengers being tempted to sit in the drivers seat and fiddle with the controls!, so that every passenger when boarding purchased a ticket or had their pass etc examined by the driver, to reduce the risk of vandalism or other damage.

ALEMASTER

I would say the default answer is no, you can't remain on the bus at the terminus, as that layover may provide the drivers legally required break for the purpose of driving hours and rest and if they have passengers on they aren't getting a break as they have a responsibility for those passengers and the vehicle.

That said if the above isn't the case and you ask nicely the driver may use their discretion and allow it, but it cannot be relied upon.

Auld reekie

I would say the default answer is no, you can't remain on the bus at the terminus, as that layover may provide the drivers legally required break for the purpose of driving hours and rest and if they have passengers on they aren't getting a break as they have a responsibility for those passengers and the vehicle.

That said if the above isn't the case and you ask nicely the driver may use their discretion and allow it, but it cannot be relied upon.
Where I live the bus does a loop and many elderly people stay on the bus at the terminus with no problem whatsoever.

Statto

Established Member

Not only that, driver changes can often happen at the terminus, new driver will be questioning why the passenger is still on the bus, plus if at a bus station security might come over & order the passenger to leave the bus too.

Add in, the bus might go & do another route, plus the bus might be going back to the depot too.

Where I live the bus does a loop and many elderly people stay on the bus at the terminus with no problem whatsoever.
Mostly as the bus is doing a loop, rather than just terminating & turning around.

Their is a route in my area were buses change number but passengers can stay on through the terminus

Auld reekie

Not only that, driver changes can often happen at the terminus, new driver will be questioning why the passenger is still on the bus, plus if at a bus station security might come over & order the passenger to leave the bus too.

Add in, the bus might go & do another route, plus the bus might be going back to the depot too.

Mostly as the bus is doing a loop, rather than just terminating & turning around.

Their is a route in my area were buses change number but passengers can stay on through the terminus
It does terminate.

ian1944

Specifically on the 36 terminating at Ripon bus station, the stands there have shelters and individual seats so it would be no great hardship to demount and then take the return working. The standard layover time seems to be 14 minutes.

richw

Veteran Member
You would have to speak to the driver. It depends on the driver duty, layovers, breaks etc.
If I (the driver) was going to the toilet or to get a refreshment or leave the bus for any reason, company policy strictly requires you to get off.

If I’m staying on the bus and turning straight around then you’d be more than welcome to stay.

The length of stand time may well point to the answer, 5 mins or less I’m not going anywhere. Anything longer I’m probably going to stretch my legs with a quick walk, a trip to the toilet, or just going to grab a drink.
15 mins and you can almost be certain the driver will be closing the bus up for a short time away from the bus.

Bayum

Established Member
Specifically on the 36 terminating at Ripon bus station, the stands there have shelters and individual seats so it would be no great hardship to demount and then take the return working. The standard layover time seems to be 14 minutes.
Depends how I fare on crutches and steps I guess!

greyman42

Established Member
If you are travelling from Leeds you could do the 0900 to Whitby, half an hour in Whitby for the toilet and get something to eat and then back to Leeds for 1700. Very scenic day out and all for £4!!

SCH117X

Established Member
They do not change drivers at Ripon - that is done at Harrogate. Depending on how bad the A61 is the turnround at Ripon is often simply how long to takes to unload and load. They sell returns anyway (albeit 2 x £2 so no saving) so just buy one when boarding and no need retap at Ripon.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They do not change drivers at Ripon - that is done at Harrogate. Depending on how bad the A61 is the turnround at Ripon is often simply how long to takes to unload and load. They sell returns anyway (albeit 2 x £2 so no saving) so just buy one when boarding and no need retap at Ripon.

The OP has an ENTCS pass.

Chrius56000

. . Only thing worth adding is that where routes interconnect it is sometimes clearly stated in operator timetables that "Passengers may remain on the vehicle".

londonbridge

Established Member
Some years ago there was a TFL night bus route which ran past the bottom of my road, I used to get the last bus of the night to work when I was on the 6am shift, every morning at one particular stop at around 5:50 the driver would jump out, leaving the engine running, and go in the newsagents to buy a paper (the shop opened at 5:30). There was usually only me and a few other regulars on board.

Some years ago there was a TFL night bus route which ran past the bottom of my road, I used to get the last bus of the night to work when I was on the 6am shift, every morning at one particular stop at around 5:50 the driver would jump out, leaving the engine running, and go in the newsagents to buy a paper (the shop opened at 5:30). There was usually only me and a few other regulars on board.
How long ago was this?

Towers

Established Member
Plenty of drivers will pull into somewhere with facilities nearby and nip off to use the loo, I’m not a legal expert but I wouldn’t much fancy the chances of any employer attempting to order their staff not to use the toilet if they need to, regardless of company policies about passengers on the bus! Many bus drivers are of a certain age, which can mean that waiting several hours for a pee isn’t always that simple!

Provided the vehicle is switched off (engine and electrical master switch if need be), there is no more risk of interference than that caused by the multitude of operators who happily dump their vehicles unattended in the street or other unsecured “parking areas” every night of the week!

So pre cameras everywhere on the bus. My local service in the 1970s the driver and conductor used to have a pint at the terminus, but that wouldn't happen now.
Plenty of drivers will pull into somewhere with facilities nearby and nip off to use the loo, I’m not a legal expert but I wouldn’t much fancy the chances of any employer attempting to order their staff not to use the toilet if they need to, regardless of company policies about passengers on the bus! Many bus drivers are of a certain age, which can mean that waiting several hours for a pee isn’t always that simple!

Provided the vehicle is switched off (engine and electrical master switch if need be), there is no more risk of interference than that caused by the multitude of operators who happily dump their vehicles unattended in the street or other unsecured “parking areas” every night of the week!
It has been discussed in here before, companies don't see toilet breaks as anything to do with them, it's legal to drive for 5 1/2 hours without a break so they consider it perfectly acceptable to go that long without using a toilet.

If the company tells you to never leave passengers unattended ( and they do) then never leave passengers unattended. Or face the consequences of someone complains.

Steven Taylor

My experience may be of interest, although this is probably exceptional. Last year, just for the ride I joined the `mid-day` Milton Keynes - Winslow service at Bletchley bus station- which is just like a small car park opposite the train (Ooops.. railway) station. Everyone got off the bus, and the driver switched off the engine, and left the bus. He advised me to get on, and he needed a loo break. I watched him jog to the loo about 50 metres away. He arrived back about 4 minutes later. So I guess common-sense does prevail, and I was 71 years old, so I probably was not going to trash the bus, or attempt to drive it away. We then drove non-stop to Winslow via several villages as I was the only passenger on board for the whole distance, so we arrived a couple of minutes early despite his loo break.

Citistar

I quite often leave passengers on the bus if i need to use the conveniences. To be honest with the sort of passengers we carry, the bus is more secure with a few pensioners on board than it is left empty.

Dens Lad

Why would you want to go for a birl on a bus? Fair enough get one if you have a reason to like going somewhere for a day out or to the shops but why would anyone want to get a bus somewhere and just sit on it for it to take them back to the place they got on? Nowt stranger than folk!

Status
Not open for further replies.