• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Driver Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT4038

Established Member
Yes - the bus industry managers and directors need to wake up - smell the coffee and start valuing experienced drivers and pay them a decent rate before it's too late !
So, these asleep bus industry managers and directors have a choice of valuing experienced drivers, paying them a decent rate, and bankrupting their companies now, or carrying on as they are and hoping that the situation (either the labour market, revenue levels or government taking over the revenue risk) resolves itself in the future, but they have continued employment/business at present.

I know which route I would be taking in my slumbers! The coffee smells pretty horrible whichever way I look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
So, these asleep bus industry managers and directors have a choice of valuing experienced drivers , paying them a decent rate, and bankrupting their companies now, or carrying on as they are and hoping that the situation (either labour market, revenue levels or govt. taking over the revenue risk) resolves itself in the future, but they have continued employment/business at present.

I know which route I would be taking in my slumbers! The coffee smells pretty horrible whichever way I look.
I doubt that any managers are 'asleep' or unaware of the problems. I would, however, add to your list that continuing service cancellations are having an impact on passenger confidence. All that will then happen is that revenue will spiral downwards even faster.

lakeland844

So, these asleep bus industry managers and directors have a choice of valuing experienced drivers , paying them a decent rate, and bankrupting their companies now, or carrying on as they are and hoping that the situation (either labour market, revenue levels or govt. taking over the revenue risk) resolves itself in the future, but they have continued employment/business at present.

I hear very much what you are saying and I don't have the answer to this.
Perhaps the companies could look at more user-friendly shift patterns to sweeten things slightly?
The fact is that experienced and committed staff are walking away from the bus business in considerable numbers at the moment, which is a tragedy for the industry and they will be hard to replace.
Some of the older staff talk with affection about the old National Bus Company days but is that a realistic option?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please remember to include your sources when posting information. If it comes from an external source on the web, we require that you post a link to and a quote from that source. If it's simply "on the grapevine" information, please indicate this in your post. Thanks :)

RT4038

Established Member
I hear very much what you are saying and I don't have the answer to this.
Perhaps the companies could look at more user friendly shift patterns to sweeten thing slightly ?
The fact is that experienced and committed staff are walking away from the bus business in considerable numbers at the moment which is a tragedy for the industry and they will be hard to replace.
Some of the older staff talk with affection about the old National Bus Company days but is that a realistic option ?
It is strange - when I started work for the old National Bus Company only a few years after it had been formed, some of the older staff talked with affection of the company before it was nationalised.....

Of course 'user friendly shift patterns' mean different things to different people. If the current quantity of work can be scheduled differently at no more cost, in a more user friendly pattern then go for it. Many depots have a variety of rosters for this very purpose. But if it is going to cost more money (more staff, and/or more pay) then my comment in #31 above applies.

dan5324

On Moderation
People who go into this job expecting 9-5 like hours and every weekend off, I’m sorry are in the wrong job. And that stretches right across the transport spectrum. From buses, coaches, trains, planes etc.
Saying that whatever company I’ve been to I’ve always plucked for the shortest rotas with the shortest duties. Sure the money is a little less. But you come to resent the job a lot less whilst your colleagues on the long rotas are constantly moaning.

Mwanesh

I left buses in August. South Wales management have always said lump it if you don't like it. I live next to one depot and told them at my exit interview if they paid a decent wage I would retire there. Now they are short-staffed and they keep calling and asking me if I want to come back. I have told them they can't afford to pay me now.

notadriver

Established Member
I left buses in August .South Wales management have always said lump it if you dont like it.I live next to one depot and told them at my exit interview if they paid decent i would retire there.Now they are short staffed and they keep calling me if i want to come back.I have told them they cant afford to pay me now.

What job are you doing since leaving the buses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.