• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus management roles - CPC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Does anyone know if a transport manager CPC (certificate of professional competence) is required to apply for managerial roles within the bus/coach industry?

If so how long / hard is the course? Is it more difficult than the train driver course?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leedsbusman

Does anyone know if a transport manager Cpc is required to apply for managerial roles within the bus/coach industry ?

If so how long / hard is the course ? Is it more difficult than the train driver course ?
It is an arduous qualification but it is only required if you need to be a Transport Manager on the o’license. That is likely to be the case for a depot operations or engineering manager but less likely for those roles more junior to that.

Titfield

Established Member
Does anyone know if a transport manager Cpc is required to apply for managerial roles within the bus/coach industry ?

If so how long / hard is the course ? Is it more difficult than the train driver course ?

A lot of the content of the CPC is the bread and butter of how an operation works: drivers hours rules, working time directive, scheduling, vehicle maintenance (including daily driver walk round checks, pmis) mots, tachographs, insurance, general employment law, passenger law, contracts, route registration.

The course can be done intensively (say in a week) or some providers (colleges) say on evening a week for 6 - 8 weeks. I havent looked but there must now be training packages you can access on line.

Roger1973

There's more about it on the Chartered Institute of Logistics + Transport website - they are a provider of the course, although as they say on the BBC, other providers are available.

The detail is on a PDF you can download.

One snippet says 'Total Qualification Time: 157 hours, including 72 hours Guided Learning'

I studied for CPC via distance learning (doing it by post - this was before the internet) over 25 years ago now, and it looks like there's rather more to it now than there was then - from memory then there was a single exam (that I did have to go to in person) that was all multiple choice questions.

I am seriously considering doing a refresher course (some places offer 2 day refresher courses, either online or in person.)

In answer to the first question, as has already been said, it's only a requirement if you're going to be a designated transport manager. It may count in your favour but may depend on the sort of job you're going after and the organisation involved. Some of the big groups go more for graduates of any discipline and go through their graduate scheme, and with some of them, getting beyond front line supervisor roles is pretty difficult unless you've gone through the graduate scheme.

If you're already in the business, is it the sort of place where you can discuss development aspirations with managers? (some places are more positive about that sort of thing than others.)

There are other courses that the CILT do, including up to a level that's supposed to be equivalent to a degree, although employers' opinion of them varies. To some people, the CILT doesn't have the status it did when it was just the CIT before it merged to form CILT. Personally, I'm not sure it helps itself by having some post-nominals (letters you can put after your name) that don't mean much more than you've paid your membership - this makes it harder to tell the difference between this and people who have studied for a qualification.

Aazza91

I've recently done my International Transport Manager CPC - Road Haulage and I would definitely recommend face to face learning if you can. It is very very detailed and impossible to know every single bit. Working with an instructor means they emphasise the areas that are likely to come up in the exams.

RJ

Established Member
Does anyone know if a transport manager CPC (certificate of professional competence) is required to apply for managerial roles within the bus/coach industry? If so how long / hard is the course? Is it more difficult than the train driver course?

Only if it's specified, some roles might require you to acquire the qualification after joining. A company can never have too many TMs.

Mwanesh

Some companies like Stagecoach have a scheme were every year they pick a few members of staff for a staff development programme. They will pay for the course. You then start as assistant operations manager

Status
Not open for further replies.