• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Or more like 2 - 3 years for Optare / Switch ;) (Just look at how long it took for Reading to receive its Metrodeckers - so long that they cancelled the order.)
In fairness, Optare would need to get orders in the first place for them to actually deliver anything! :lol:

It actually surprises me that Optare are still on the go given how few sales they've had in recent years.

MotCO

Established Member
In fairness, Optare would need to get orders in the first place for them to actually deliver anything! :lol:

It actually surprises me that Optare are still on the go given how few sales they've had in recent years.
I noticed in Buses magazine last month that a few Solos had been delivered recently (but don't know when they were ordered!)

aswilliamsuk

Attention appears to be overseas at the moment (particularly India, where they've had some mammoth orders).

A number of MetroCity EVs are currently in production/on order (20 for Stagecoach London - 8 inherited from a HCT order, 12 inherited from a Tower Transit order; 4 for Arriva London and 12 for Abellio London), and Ulsterbus/Translink are currently receiving six Solo EVs.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Attention appears to be overseas at the moment (particularly India, where they've had some mammoth orders).

A number of MetroCity EVs are currently in production/on order (20 for Stagecoach London - 8 inherited from a HCT order, 12 inherited from a Tower Transit order; 4 for Arriva London and 12 for Abellio London), and Ulsterbus/Translink are currently receiving six Solo EVs.
Switch are clearly benefiting from the MetroCity being the only current EV that meets the TfL sub-9m 45- capacity spec.

Mikey C

Established Member
Switch are clearly benefiting from the MetroCity being the only current EV that meets the TfL sub-9m 45- capacity spec.
The forthcoming Enviro100EV will provide stiff competition in that market. Meanwhile the Metrodecker seems forgotten about. The fire at Potters Bar I imagine didn't help...

JE1672

Anyone know if it's the case that First Group and Volvo aren't rebuilding their partnership in the near future?

Kinda hilarious to see how Stagecoach ordering their largest ev order from Volvo while First, an old loyal Volvo customer, aren't even getting a BZL for trial.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Assembles the chassis, body and does fit out

Doesn't do everything from scratch, eg build own engines etc.
I can't think of any manufacturer that would build everything from scratch.

I assume the OP meant was is it an arrangement like BYD and ADL.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Anyone know if it's the case that First Group and Volvo aren't rebuilding their partnership in the near future?

Kinda hilarious to see how Stagecoach ordering their largest ev order from Volvo while First, an old loyal Volvo customer, aren't even getting a BZL for trial.
First seem to have moved away from Volvo altogether which is sad because they need to go back.

baza585

First haven't bought new Volvo buses since 2013ish.

baza585

There were 25x B5LHs for Greater Manchester in 2015/6

But still a drastic change after the years prior I grant you.
I'd forgotten about those! I believe they haven't stood the test of time very well.

I'm more surprised First have forgiven Wrights for the Streetlite.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
First haven't bought new Volvo buses since 2013ish.
They've literally just had 17x Volvo B8RLE eVoRa's delivered to Aircoach in Dublin for car park shuttles that are due to come back to the UK in a couple of years or so after the shuttles convert to fully electric when the infrastructure is in place and the electric vehicles arrive.

PG

Established Member

Swings and roundabouts - Stagecoach moved away from Volvo after being wooed by MAN when they started buying low floor buses but the wheel has since turned full circle with them again buying from Volvo. I expect, at some point, First will do likewise.

Mikw

I'd forgotten about those! I believe they haven't stood the test of time very well.

I'm more surprised First have forgiven Wrights for the Streetlite.
So am I! The one's i've been on all vibrate horribly and seem jerky. Not pleasant at all. Prefer a Versa over them.

Mikey C

Established Member
Wasn't it First's "fault" that the Streetdeck/Gemini 3 has a lower roof and tiny upstairs windows when compared to the Gemini 2?

PG

Established Member
Wasn't it First's "fault" that the Streetdeck/Gemini 3 has a lower roof and tiny upstairs windows when compared to the Gemini 2?
As in Wright wanted to get First's orders but that required the lower roof and tiny windows? Presumably Wright didn't want the hassle of having a First and non-First design?

Goldfish62

Established Member
It might be wrong, but I was told the shallow windows (hideous!) were Wrights' way of achieving the necessary weight reduction for Euro VI. Plus they're the same height as on the Borismaster.

Mikey C

Established Member
It might be wrong, but I was told the shallow windows (hideous!) were Wrights' way of achieving the necessary weight reduction for Euro VI. Plus they're the same height as on the Borismaster.
They look especially old fashioned inside as most London versions have gasket glazing, making them look 20 years older than the rival MCV body.

Goldfish62

Established Member
They look especially old fashioned inside as most London versions have gasket glazing, making them look 20 years older than the rival MCV body.
Agreed. The gasket glazing makes them look very dated internally. Fortunately the London Electroliners have bonded glazing (as do the E400EVs).

So the theoretical electrical useable range of Wrights GB Electroliner with either the 340kw/h & 576kw/h battery sizes has been tested and revealed.

The 340kw/h model of which 272kw/h is useable should theoretically cover upto 330km or 205mls.

The 567kw/h model of which 454kw/h is useable should theoretically cover 538km or 329mls.

Those numbers seem pretty good, but on the other hand a 567kw/h is large even if the range is impressive some may not actually need this; as the battery size increases the payload of the vehicle will also decrease meaning carrying less passengers as a result of the 19.5t gross weight limit.

I suspect that the Streetdeck Electroliner with its 454kw/h battery size and consumption of 0.68kw/h will be managing around (up to) 250 theoretical useable miles.

Wrightbus says that successful completion of the Zero Emission Bus (ZEB) accreditation scheme by its GB Kite Electroliner battery-electric single-decker has shown that the model is “the most efficient on the UK’s roads” in its class.

Certification of the GB Kite Electroliner as a ZEB has been undertaken by Zemo Partnership at UTAC Millbrook in a process that is key to claiming national and devolved government funding towards zero-emission buses.

Two certificates have been posted on Zemo’s website confirming energy efficiency. With 340kW/h of battery storage, the GB Kite Electroliner returned an average of 0.66kW/h per km across the test. In 567kW/h form, that figure was 0.67kW/h per km. Well-to-wheel greenhouse gas savings over a comparable Euro VI diesel are 86% and 83%, respectively.

Wrightbus says that such returns are significantly lower than comparable rival models. The figures follow certification of the StreetDeck Electroliner via the ZEB scheme. With 340kW/h of storage, the battery-electric double-decker’s average consumption across the testing was 0.68kW/h per km. With 454kW/h of installed power it was 0.75kW/h per km.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikw

So the theoretical electrical useable range of Wrights GB Electroliner with either the 340kw/h & 576kw/h battery sizes has been tested and revealed.

The 340kw/h model of which 272kw/h is useable should theoretically cover upto 330km or 205mls.

The 567kw/h model of which 454kw/h is useable should theoretically cover 538km or 329mls.

Those numbers seem pretty good, but on the other hand a 567kw/h is large even if the range is impressive some may not actually need this; as the battery size increases the payload of the vehicle will also decrease meaning carrying less passengers as a result of the 19.5t gross weight limit.

I suspect that the Streetdeck Electroliner with its 454kw/h battery size and consumption of 0.68kw/h will be managing around (up to) 250 theoretical useable miles.

I went on one of Leicester's the other day - it's a million times better than a jerky and rattly Streetlite. Light years ahead from a passenger point of view.

Hullian111

The UK market's new Yutong U11DD has "broke cover"…

The first Yutong U11DD battery-electric double-decker for the UK has made its debut in China ahead of shipping later this month.

It follows an extensive development programme for the model, which Yutong says has achieved some “breakthroughs” on lightweighting. The initial bus is a demonstrator that will start use with potential buyers in September. It will be followed by a second demonstrator to accelerate that programme, says Head of Yutong UK Ian Downie.

Both demonstrators will be to single-door provincial specification and the first is to be reliveried into silver before it leaves China. It has 68 of Yutong’s own seats, with 43 upstairs and 25 – including four tip-ups across separate wheelchair user and buggy areas – on the lower deck. Two U11DDs are also on order for established Yutong buyer Newport Transport.

Alfatronix Alfacharge seatback mobile device holder and charger units are fitted, along with some combined USB-A and USB-C sockets in the sidewalls. Like the E9, E10 and E12 battery-electric single-deck buses, the U11DD is air-conditioned.
Not sure if operators are going to be keen on all the black glassy bits. Trying maybe too hard to look like an E400 City?

Last edited by a moderator: