• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus replacement or diverted train?

kuepper

I'm doing a return trip on 14th Feb Glossop to Preston with 1 change at Manchester Piccadilly (MAN) and I'd be returning on the 22.22 arriving MAN at 23.13 then 23.29 (the last train) to Glossop, all Northern services. On Trainline and Northern route planners there was a flag on the return journey "Rail replacement bus on some routes" which worried me. I looked on Northern's site at engineering works https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/west-engineering-early-2024. That seemed to suggest there was no replacement bus on any line I'd be on but that the train from Preston would be diverted a different route to MAN - but I've no idea if that means a later arrival or not. However when I looked at a return trip for MAN- Preston only the Trainline did not flag up "Rail replacement bus on some routes" as it had done when looking at Glossop to Preston return, so does that mean the MAN to Glossop leg is a bus replacement service but if it does why wouldn't that show up in Northern's engineering works list?

If not on here where is the best source of clear information on this - I've had problems with both Trainline and Northern before so don't trust them to give accurate information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Realtime Trains shows both journeys as WTT and normal routing

kuepper

Realtime Trains shows both journeys as WTT and normal routing

Thanks but who are Realtime Trains? I've never heard of them

Wouldn't believe anything Trainline tells you. Recently had quite a few people insisting it's a replacement bus to their destination because "it says so on Trainline" even though you've told them multiple times what platform their train is on. Eventually they miss their train because they continue to believe Trainline over the actual staff. Also people who stand around looking for nonexistent trains such as from Warrington Bank Quay to Warrington Central, because Trainline has given them a time and neglected to mention that's the time to walk between the two.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Thanks but who are Realtime Trains? I've never heard of them
A site which uses signalling data to identify the routing and location of trains. It also shows what train you will be traveling on (ie set and class) when looking closer to the time.

Veteran Member
I'm doing a return trip on 14th Feb Glossop to Preston with 1 change at Manchester Piccadilly (MAN) and I'd be returning on the 22.22 arriving MAN at 23.13 then 23.29 (the last train) to Glossop, all Northern services. On Trainline and Northern route planners there was a flag on the return journey "Rail replacement bus on some routes" which worried me.
I can see that information only at the head of the column which refers to various trains over several hours. I suspect the flag-up is because there will be RRBs operating on the Bolton route which the trains normally serve.

The detail info for your journey on Northern's site (and TL), and the NRE site, has both legs shown as trains, which is the same as the detailed times provided by NR (which allow for the diversion BTW).