• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Stations with multiple levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
The Pentagon bus station in Chatham, whose existence precipitated the use of large white fleet numbers on the roofs of Maidstone and District double deckers, which started a small trend.

It closed a few years ago, there's a new waterfront bus station now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin2012

Thanks to those who have responded to this thread. Interesting that there are a number of examples out there.

I seem to remember the old Pentagon Bus Station in Cheltenham being adjacent to the upper level of the shopping centre and there being an entrance to it from the bus station.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Cribbs Causeway Bus Station which leads to the upper level of The Mall. Also forgotten Heathrow Central Bus Station.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have some memories of Anderston Bus Station in Glasgow. We'd travelled south by coach to visit the Model Rail Scotland show, which was housed in some venue above (this was the year before it moved to the SECC). After a brief, colourful exchange of words between our driver and the duty inspector ("ye cannae park that effin' thing here", or words to that effect) we were eventually allowed to alight and made our way up to the hall by escalator or some travelator thing. I remember the place being rather grim.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Thanks to those who have responded to this thread. Interesting that there are a number of examples out there.

I seem to remember the old Pentagon Bus Station in Cheltenham being adjacent to the upper level of the shopping centre and there being an entrance to it from the bus station.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Cribbs Causeway Bus Station which leads to the upper level of The Mall. Also forgotten Heathrow Central Bus Station.

Do you mean Chatham, not Cheltenham ?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I have some memories of Anderston Bus Station in Glasgow. We'd travelled south by coach to visit the Model Rail Scotland show, which was housed in some venue above (this was the year before it moved to the SECC). After a brief, colourful exchange of words between our driver and the duty inspector ("ye cannae park that effin' thing here", or words to that effect) we were eventually allowed to alight and made our way up to the hall by escalator or some travelator thing. I remember the place being rather grim.
Anderston is one of the those mystical places that I never managed to get to but there's a few photos on here http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=649&start=135 I understand it was a grim place especially of an evening when various NEDs and "business women" would frequent the area.

Cumbernauld- North & South are separate and on opposite sides of the main road, normal access is down various ramps/stairs from the shopping centre above

You can easily get lost in there too
I’ve seen folk wandering around looking lost in there many a time and that’s just the locals :lol:

SCH117X

Established Member
Think you are mistaken - the new bus station has not yet opened, there is a temporary one for National Express services

"We've moved temporarily
Due to the the Broadmarsh regeneration works, Nottingham's Broadmarsh Bus Station has temporarily relocated to Station Street (next to Nottingham Train Station) as of 11:59pm on 9 July 2017.

The new bus station is expected to open towards the end of 2019. "
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/coach-stations/nottingham

Typhoon

Established Member
Think you are mistaken - the new bus station has not yet opened, there is a temporary one for National Express services
There seems to be some confusion between Chatham and Cheltenham here. The post
refers back to post #13 and is about the unlamented Pentagon BS in Chatham, hence the reference to M&D. The Waterfront does exist, although not very weather friendly, and is open. By mentioning NEx, I guess you are referring to Cheltenham, where your knowledge will be greater than mine.

SCH117X

Established Member
refers back to post #13 and is about the unlamented Pentagon BS in Chatham, hence the reference to M&D. The Waterfront does exist, although not very weather friendly, and is open. By mentioning NEx, I guess you are referring to Cheltenham, where your knowledge will be greater than mine.
Neither Nottingham Broad Marsh as referred to in the first post. Jack15001 somehow took my comments on Broad Marsh as being one of the others and which puzzled me by referring to waterfront

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Neither Nottingham Broad Marsh as referred to in the first post. Jack15001 somehow took my comments on Broad Marsh as being one of the others and which puzzled me by referring to waterfront
Nottingham being notoriously further from the sea than any other British city :lol:

carlberry

Established Member
It's only right to prepare for climate change.

Antman

Established Member

The Waterfront bus station can be quite inhospitable mid winter when there is a howling wind coming in off the Medway.

I've never mentioned NEx, I don't where this confusion between Chatham and Cheltenham has come from?

SCH117X

Established Member
A distinction also claimed by Coventry and Lichfield. There may be others...
Not a city but I remember reading that ICI picked Harrogate for one of its establishments, now closed, as it was the most centrally located town in the British mainland.

ian1944

It's definitely stretching it to call Cumbernauld's offering a bus station, implying some facilities other than stops. What you have is some stops on either side of a fast dual carriageway with central barrier and with no pedestrian access from one side to the other at street level, hence the need to go upstairs into the shopping centre. There's no decent signposting if all you want to do is change sides (the first time I was there was just to inspect the bus facilities then catch the next service back). My candidate for the worst ever - even the covering which keeps you dry just makes it even gloomier.

Status
Not open for further replies.