• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Busiest platform on tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambrian359

Hi all, I’ve done some googling and some searches on here but I can’t seem to find the answer.
what platform in which station is the busiest on the tube in terms of trains per hour (including stopping/non stopping services)
facts and opinions welcome

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mugam4

Hi all, I’ve done some googling and some searches on here but I can’t seem to find the answer.
what platform in which station is the busiest on the tube in terms of trains per hour (including stopping/non stopping services)
facts and opinions welcome
Between Brixton and Seven Sisters on the Victoria

BJames

Established Member
Yes the above is definitely the correct answer - is it still operating at 36tph in the high peak? I can't recall the off-peak frequency but it is very rare for me to ever have to wait more than about 1.5 to 2 mins for a Victoria Line train even off peak so I assume the frequency is still this high.

pbin

Yes the above is definitely the correct answer - is it still operating at 36tph in the high peak? I can't recall the off-peak frequency but it is very rare for me to ever have to wait more than about 1.5 to 2 mins for a Victoria Line train even off peak so I assume the frequency is still this high.
It still operates at 36tph for the high peak.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'd be surprised if any platforms handles more passengers than the Victoria Line platforms at Victoria.

notverydeep

For a single platform, the answer for busiest in terms of total passengers (as opposed to trains) defined as the sum of boarders and alighters (2022 data), is Victoria line Oxford Circus NB (118,000) with SB second at 114,500. Most of the other very busy platforms are busy with a largely one direction flow. For example at Victoria (Victoria line) the NB platform has many NB boarders (more than Oxford Circus), but far fewer NB alighters, so it is not the busiest overall.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For a single platform, the answer for busiest in terms of total passengers (as opposed to trains) defined as the sum of boarders and alighters (2022 data), is Victoria line Oxford Circus NB (118,000) with SB second at 114,500. Most of the other very busy platforms are busy with a largely one direction flow. For example at Victoria (Victoria line) the NB platform has many NB boarders (more than Oxford Circus), but far fewer NB alighters, so it is not the busiest overall.
That's the order I'd have guessed at. I assume Victoria SB on the Vic is next, but with many more alighters there than boarders.

Mikey C

Established Member
Good point!

Indeed a major problem with the Victoria Line and stations like Oxford Circus is that it takes so long to clear the platform, that there still are people from the previous train there when the next one arrives.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Could one argue that the single island platform on the Northern Line stations at Clapham North and Clapham Common are considered as one "platform", and thus get trains calling in both directions at the same "platform"?

mugam4

Could one argue that the single island platform on the Northern Line stations at Clapham North and Clapham Common are considered as one "platform", and thus get trains calling in both directions at the same "platform"?
It's the same peron but not the same tor

brewer85

It's hard to maintain they are one platform when the signage clearly indicates 'platform 1' and 'platform 2'

IMG_5078.jpg
Image shows the, famously narrow, island platform at Clapham North. Signage reads "Northern Line / Northbound platform 1 / Central London" to the left, and "Northern Line / Southbound platform 2 / Morden" to the right.

AM9

Veteran Member
It's hard to maintain they are one platform when the signage clearly indicates 'platform 1' and 'platform 2'

View attachment 144690
Image shows the, famously narrow, island platform at Clapham North. Signage reads "Northern Line / Northbound platform 1 / Central London" to the left, and "Northern Line / Southbound platform 2 / Morden" to the right.
But in the context of a platform being pedestrian access to a train service running on an adjacent track, rather than a one and a half metre strip bounded by an electrified track on one side and a crowd of 'other' passengers on the other, these platforms would probably qualify as the highest density platforms on LU. The signage is irrelevant in as much that once clear of the centre barrier on the stairs, passengers use whichever side is easiest to progress along the platform, (otherwise there would be two contraflows on each half of the platform).

notverydeep

Taken together, the platform(s) at Clapham South would be in position 158 out of 704 LU platforms, with a combined use about 21,100 per average mid week day. Considered separately they are numbers 279 and 303 out of 704. Clapham North is slightly less busy than Clapham South at 16,500 across both Island platform faces per mid week day.

AM9

Veteran Member
That's what I was trying to get at, though AM9 said it better than me...
Even if my words were a bit long winded.
Taken together, the platform(s) at Clapham South would be in position 158 out of 704 LU platforms, with a combined use about 21,100 per average mid week day. Considered separately they are numbers 279 and 303. Clapham North is slightly less busy than Clapham South at 16,500 across both Island platform faces per mid week day.
I wonder what the City branch platforms at Euston, or the Angel platform would be like in standee density today, were they not split.

notverydeep

I thought the OP was asking about number of trains per hour?

That will definitely be the Victoria line platforms between Highbury & Islington and Victoria inclusive which have 548 trains per mid week day in the current timetable. In addition to the 36 tph peak service, the Victoria has a higher off peak service frequency than other lines. The Jubilee is next with 475 trains per mid week day.

notverydeep

What about the city widened lines? Met,Circle,H&C all departing from one platform
They have 469 trains per mid week day across the three 'lines' (Great Portland Street to Moorgate inclusive). Passenger boarders and alighters wise King's Cross St. Pancras Circle, H&C and Met would be just outside the top 10...

Cambrian359

Thanks people :D the reason I asked is I hope to make a purchase from uk departure boards website when funds allow as I love the tube but live about 200miles away :| . This product will at least partially allow me to simulate being on the underground. Big kid I know :lol:

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Thanks people :D the reason I asked is I hope to make a purchase from uk departure boards website when funds allow as I love the tube but live about 200miles away :| . This product will at least partially allow me to simulate being on the underground. Big kid I know :lol:
But do you want the strictly busiest platform? The Victoria Line is very predictable. The display would flip back and forth between (Brixton 0 Brixton 2 Brixton 4) and (Brixton 1 Brixton 3 Brixton 5). I think Kings Cross Circle westbound will give you a lot more variety while being nearly as frequent. For instance, this is an animation from 1998 of a Metropolitan Line indicator.

metranim3.gif

Cambrian359

But do you want the strictly busiest platform? The Victoria Line is very predictable. The display would flip back and forth between (Brixton 0 Brixton 2 Brixton 4) and (Brixton 1 Brixton 3 Brixton 5). I think Kings Cross Circle westbound will give you a lot more variety while being nearly as frequent. For instance, this is an animation from 1998 of a Metropolitan Line indicator.

metranim3.gif
Variety is what I want , I assumed the busiest would be a multiple line platform with the most destinations but I didn’t realise the Victoria line service was so intense!
Thank you for this

Route115?

In terms of trains it is obviously the Victoria line south of Seven Sisters

In terms of passengers where do the Central & Jubilee lines at Startford rank now that the Jubilee line only uses two platforms for most of the day whilst the Central Line has vast numbers both alighting & joining? (Of course the westbound Central Line has two faces so it will be lower if you count each one separately.)

Status
Not open for further replies.