• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a house in Hednesford: what can I expect in terms of passing trains in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS90

Hi.

I’m new here and wondering if anyone can help.

I’m looking at buying a house near the railway in the Hednesford area and I’m wondering about potential noise issues. I understand diesel freight trains no longer run to Rugeley power station and the lime is now only used by electric passenger trains. Is this likely to change in the future though? The lines Wikipedia page states that when it was electrified it was upgraded to accommodate W10 freight containers. What does this mean in layman’s terms and is it likely freight trains are going to return to the line?

Also, is there a chance express passenger trains could ever run via Cannock, or will the chase line only ever be used by local passenger trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Hi.

I’m new here and wondering if anyone can help.

I’m looking at buying a house near the railway in the Hednesford area and I’m wondering about potential noise issues. I understand diesel freight trains no longer run to Rugeley power station and the lime is now only used by electric passenger trains. Is this likely to change in the future though? The lines Wikipedia page states that when it was electrified it was upgraded to accommodate W10 freight containers. What does this mean in layman’s terms and is it likely freight trains are going to return to the line?

Also, is there a chance express passenger trains could ever run via Cannock, or will the chase line only ever be used by local passenger trains?
If its Hednesford, then chances are you will never see any freight along there apart from once in a blue moon diverted stuff. Cannock should have a container terminal at some point but those trains will come to and from the Walsall direction. You will only see local trains along there, it was cleared for Pendolinos etc but even they are very unlikely to get diverted down there.

AJS90

If its Hednesford, then chances are you will never see any freight along there apart from once in a blue moon diverted stuff. Cannock should have a container terminal at some point but those trains will come to and from the Walsall direction. You will only see local trains along there, it was cleared for Pendolinos etc but even they are very unlikely to get diverted down there.

Thank you. I imagine you’re quite knowledgeable about the railways in this area?

I’ve heard about plans to run freight trains to the Pentalver site near Cannock. Will trains only be able to access it from the south if it ever gets built?

Aren’t Pendalinos the tilting trains Virgin use?

So am I right to assume the only trains running through Hednesford will be the current local trains except for if other trains get diverted in an emergency or because of engineering work, which I image doesn’t happen very often?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thank you. I imagine you’re quite knowledgeable about the railways in this area?

I’ve heard about plans to run freight trains to the Pentalver site near Cannock. Will trains only be able to access it from the south if it ever gets built?

So am I right to assume the only trains running through Hednesford will be the current local trains except for if other trains get diverted in an emergency or because of engineering work, which I image doesn’t happen very often?

Yes, the Pendolinos are the Class 390 units that Virgin use to and from London Euston.

Veteran Member
I lived for some years about 50m across a field from the Leeds-Skipton route which carried more freight, all diesel, then than now, and was in the process being electrified; you will notice the unusual workings, but quickly learn to sleep through most.
Engineering works close by will disturb you but NR put out a warning about them. Floodlights can be annoying, and ballast cleaners and rail grinders are noisy.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Pretty much.

sw1ller

Established Member
And don’t forget about the rail head treatment train. This can be noisy but will only pass once a day for 2 months a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.