• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Oyster Visitor Card on Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaapstam

Hello experts,

after reading many other threads on this great forum, this is my very first own posting - and I am starting with a question :)

Visiting London for another time in December, I am planning to use the Visitor Oyster Card. Now I was told that it is possible to buy the Visitor Oyster Card onboard the Eurostar service between Brussels and London.

Can anyone confirm this information?

Kind regards
Jaap Stam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
I bought one on board a few years ago, you can buy Oyster cards in the bars which can be found at approximately 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the train.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Although it is notable that there is no benefit to buying a Visitor Oyster vs buying a normal Oyster Card on arrival in London, which are available from multi-lingual ticket machines at Kings Cross St Pancras Underground station. The main difference is that whilst visitor cards incure a £3 fee which is not refundable, normal cards have a £5 deposit which is refundable. If it were me, I'd wait until I arrive in London and get a normal Oyster just like any Londoner would :smile:

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/buying-tickets

TP

jaapstam

Although it is notable that there is no benefit to buying a Visitor Oyster vs buying a normal Oyster Card on arrival in London, which are available from multi-lingual ticket machines at Kings Cross St Pancras Underground station. The main difference is that whilst visitor cards incure a £3 fee which is not refundable, normal cards have a £5 deposit which is refundable. If it were me, I'd wait until I arrive in London and get a normal Oyster just like any Londoner would :smile:

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/buying-tickets

TP

Great advice transportphoto, thanks a lot!

Do I not necessarily need a photo for a "Londoner" Oyster Card?

airinter

You can return the normal Oystercard at any Underground ticket office and they will refund both the deposit and any unused pay-as-you-go balance. For a refund from a Visitor Oyster you have to apply by mail, only get a cheque in Pound Sterling and the initial fee is nonrefundable at all.

jaapstam

You can return the normal Oystercard at any Underground ticket office and they will refund both the deposit and any unused pay-as-you-go balance. For a refund from a Visitor Oyster you have to apply by mail, only get a cheque in Pound Sterling and the initial fee is nonrefundable at all.

Thank you very much airinter!

Seems as the "normal" Oyster Card has only advantages compared to the one for visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.