• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying split tickets - seat reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
All ticket offices should apply the £5 charge, but I do not know if in reality all systems have been set up to make the £5 charge. It's quite possible some older ticket issuing systems do not charge.

Well, I certainly didn't pay the £5 reservation charge the other month when reserving an FGW service at an SWT-managed ticket office ;)

Why do FGW charge for reservations when the majority don't?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
a passenger travels on the 1255 Plymouth - Paddington and has a reserved seat in Standard. At Newton Abbot (1336) it is announced that lunch is being served in the restaurant car and is available to Standard and First Class ticket holders. The passenger leaves their Standard seat, returning to it after their meal at Westbury (1503). Their initial seat reservation still applies.
Do FGW still have restaurant cars where standard holders move into first class? Thought this had died everywhere now.
Yes. The example is real and I heard the announcement when I travelled on that train on 23 May 2012.

Timetable 135 describes all remaining FGW restaurants as "restaurant (for First Class ticket holders, also Standard Class ticket holders if accommodation is available)".

Last edited:

malachy

Why do FGW charge for reservations when the majority don't?

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a CSA that places the charge.. I have never, nor have I ever witnessed my colleagues charge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.