• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying tickets before boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
If I take the train between two stations when the ticket offices are closed, I can't actually buy the correct ticket for the journey (PRIV rate), as the ticket machines don't sell PRIV rate tickets.

For example, a journey such as Walthamstow Central - Hackney Downs taking place in an evening.

Are there other examples like this where the station ticket machine will not/cannot offer the passenger the correct type of ticket/discount for the journey? I know why they don't include PRIV rate tickets on the machines but am unsure if this is the same for other discounts, and hypothetically, what is the customer supposed to do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
what is the customer supposed to do?
You are supposed to buy at the first opportunity - but there may be no opportunity.

If returning, and an opportunity presents itself, you could ask for a return from your original origin, but when I did that on Northern the guard sold me a return as if I was making my outward journey on his train.

Failing that, I wonder if you could contact the TOC requesting that they invoice you? I'd be interested to hear what they say! ;)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Are there other examples like this where the station ticket machine will not/cannot offer the passenger the correct type of ticket/discount for the journey? I know why they don't include PRIV rate tickets on the machines but am unsure if this is the same for other discounts, and hypothetically, what is the customer supposed to do?

Cheap Evening Returns weren't in the TVMs in the TfGM area, probably still aren't now, and I think there are some Railcards (other than PRIV) that are not accommodated by the TVMs.

Hypothetically, a passenger (without PRIV entitlement) is meant to abide by NRCoC Condition 3, buy a ticket for part of the journey (or a Permit to Travel) and part-exchange it, at the first reasonably practicable opportunity, for the ticket required.

W230

Established Member
Hypothetically, a passenger (without PRIV entitlement) is meant to abide by NRCoC Condition 3, buy a ticket for part of the journey (or a Permit to Travel) and part-exchange it, at the first reasonably practicable opportunity, for the ticket required.
Interesting - so if travelling on a DOO service where there is no means of purchasing the required ticket, following Condition 3 could leave you out of pocket, eg - you buy a non discounted ticket that you later have to go back and get the discount refunded. Though I suppose if you wanted a Cheap Evening Return in the example you provided, you could in theory select a railcard discounted ticket then pay the difference? I fear that would be frowned on by the RPIs though. :lol:

While I understand the reason for TVMs not having PRIV fares, I find it strange that they don't sell the full array of tickets that can be used.

transmanche

Established Member
Cheap Evening Returns weren't in the TVMs in the TfGM area, probably still aren't now, and I think there are some Railcards (other than PRIV) that are not accommodated by the TVMs.
Not just in Greater Manchester, but also the card-only TVMs on the Tyne Valley line. And the same style machines are also unable to sell ATW Small Group tickets.

Blatant overcharging by the TOCs...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Interesting - so if travelling on a DOO service where there is no means of purchasing the required ticket, following Condition 3 could leave you out of pocket, eg - you buy a non discounted ticket that you later have to go back and get the discount refunded....

In some cases you may need to get a refund, but generally speaking I think most people would have a fare left to pay.

....Though I suppose if you wanted a Cheap Evening Return in the example you provided, you could in theory select a railcard discounted ticket then pay the difference? I fear that would be frowned on by the RPIs though. :lol:....

Not by the NRCoC, it must entitle you to make part of the journey. A non-Railcard holder would not be entitled to travel on any part of their journey with, for example, a 16-25 Railcard discounted ticket.

Stuwhu

The ticket machine at Cheadle Hulme sells the cheap evening returns. Think that is Northern Operated

sheff1

Established Member
That's good. I notice HHF used the past tense so perhaps Northern have seen the light.

Marton

"LOCAL" discount for the Esk Valley Railcard not avaialble at the Middlesbrough machine last time I looked

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
What I have always found strange is the PRIV holders can't buy tickets via an industry source (intranet, password protected booking engine, or even a call centre) and then collect them via ToD. Would seem to solve a number of problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.