• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying tickets in NL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatboy

Established Member
The NL Railways website explains tickets can be purchased from machines or, for a .50 surcharge, ticket offices.

I have read elsewhere on here that they only accept Meastro cards. Is this really the case?

What is the most convenient way for a Brit to purchase rail travel and metro travel in the Netherlands?

I'm trying to travel from Amsterdam Biljmer Arena to Rotterdam on a Saturday. I can buy tickets for Intercity Direct from Schipol to Rotterdam on the high speed route for a weekend online price of 7.50, which is great. But it seems tickets for the quick suburban journey from Amsterdam Biljmer Arena to Schipol are a staggering 7.40? Surely not? As much as a high speed journey?!

Hopefully I've missed something here..

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have never found ticket buying in the Netherlands easy. Outside of Amsterdam and the airport I've usually resorted to paying the extra at the window, using cash.

transmanche

Established Member
I have read elsewhere on here that they only accept Meastro cards. Is this really the case?
They also accept V Pay cards (a Visa chip & PIN only card) - but I don't think any UK banks issue any cards which include V Pay branding.

Goatboy

Established Member
So I'm best off buying all the domestic rail tickets I need in advance via the B-Europe website for print at home.

Is using the Metro any easier or is that just as much of a faff?

1E05

I would suggest you buy your NL tickets from a ticket window since the machines do NOT accept UK bank cards.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Make sure to have some Euro Coins, the machines don't take notes!

Metro in Amsterdam is all smartcard, the machines will dispense a disposable card valid for 90mins (IIRC) or 24hrs

radamfi

Established Member
As I visit NL at least once a year I use the OV-Chipkaart to travel by train, touching in and out. The drawback is you have to have 20 euros on the card before any journey but that isn't a huge issue as you can top up the OV-Chipkaart at ticket offices with Euro banknotes for no fee. For Metro, you only need to have a minimum of 4 euros on the card.

cjp

T

I'm trying to travel from Amsterdam Biljmer Arena to Rotterdam on a Saturday. I can buy tickets for Intercity Direct from Schipol to Rotterdam on the high speed route for a weekend online price of 7.50, which is great. But it seems tickets for the quick suburban journey from Amsterdam Biljmer Arena to Schipol are a staggering 7.40? Surely not? As much as a high speed journey?!

Hopefully I've missed something here..

Would the 190 intercity or the 300 bus not be quicker cheaper and better for you?

I have occasionally managed to get the NS ticket machines to accept a First Direct Visa Debit card but generally it's impossible to use non Dutch credit cards in the NS machines. Big problem. However, about 1 in 3 machines will take coins (no notes) so that's probably the best option. The Bijlmer Arena - Schipol fare is EUR 3,70, you can get a print at home ticket via the NS website:

http://www.ns.nl/reizigers/producten/losse-kaartjes/e-ticket.html

However, there are still issues with non-Dutch credit cards on this site which complicate the story so as others have suggested it might be best to use the SNCB Europe site which is much easier to use (and also does print @ home tickets).

I still haven't quite worked out how the Dutch managed to create such a foreigner unfriendly set-up on ticketing, it really is quite frustrating to make occasional journeys on NS! Normally, tourism in NL is dead easy but the trains are a bit of a nightmare.

Getting an OV-chipkaart is really the best long term option but they charge you c. EUR 4 and it expires afater five years. Even then, you have to top it up manually via the ticket offices because the same 'non-Dutch' debit card problem arises if you try and get it to 'auto top up' via the OV-chipkaart website.....

transmanche

Established Member
I have occasionally managed to get the NS ticket machines to accept a First Direct Visa Debit card but generally it's impossible to use non Dutch credit cards in the NS machines.
I have an inkling that (at least some of) the machines at Schipol accept non-Dutch cards. Which makes it all the more frustrating that they have 'knobbled' the machines elsewhere...

Goatboy

Established Member
Would the 190 intercity or the 300 bus not be quicker cheaper and better for you?

I don't know, would they? I'm not interested in the bus but whats the 190 Intercity?

I plan to get a train to Schipol from Biljmer and then get Intercity Direct to Rotterdam (Takes 27 minutes). IC Direct has a E7.50 return deal at weekends.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Being Dutch myself, allow me to correct a few of above:
1. at ANY station there are machines. There will be at least one (with rounded front) that will take real cash, coins only. Max. nr. of coins in 1 sale is 20-thus the highest reachable fare is 40 eur.
2. In fact manned counters are rarer and rarer-in smaller towns often ''hidden'' in a shop or even fastfoodcounter. There is none @ Bijlmer.
3. ALL machines take the Dutch version of bankcards, which is now Maestro. ONLY at Schiphol-all and Amsterdam-C-some machines also take creditcards (only with PIN-but thats no prob for Brits, but is for USAers) with an extra 50 cts or 1 eur.
4. there are ev. 30 mins direct=no change SPRinter trains Bijlmer-Rotterdam, via Gouda.
5. one does NOT need a chipcard, neither now nor in future, but just as it is in LONdon, expect to have to pay more without one, though for full-fare this is now not (yet?) the case. On BUSes one has to pay more-and often MUCH more without a card though. Radamfi also did not mention that the cards cost 7,50-last for 5 yrs and are NONrefundable. To use metro/bus, one does NOT need to have 4 eur, but 0 on the card-of course then you come out in red=negative and then the card will be blocked untill topped up. To use NS-full fare, the actual (never advertised) MIN is 16 eur.
6. there is also a special BUS, nr 300, red artics, ev 6 mins daytime, Bijlmer-Schiphol(and on to Haarlem)-pay driver for ticket-4 or 6 eur. It has busways for 88% of the route and may be converted to tram/lightrail in future.
PS-one can also simply buy a normal ticket Bijlmer-R,dam and then pay the extra 2,30 to use ICD.

Goatboy

Established Member
PS-one can also simply buy a normal ticket Bijlmer-R,dam and then pay the extra 2,30 to use ICD.

Thanks for the comprehensive advice. Very useful. With regards this would it not work out more expensive at the weekend given the availability of the 7,50 return fare on Intercity Direct high speed from Schipol to Rotterdam?

Last edited:

NL Railways

it is sad that tourists find it difficult to travel with our trains and public transport. I think it is in line with Dutch politics nowadays to scare foreigners off to visit our beautiful coutry which is sad:(.

I think that NS and politicians should rethink their policies and find real solutions to make travel easy for tourist, first of all to make tourist friendly ticket machines which accepts all cards and banknotes like in the UK and Germany, or ticket desk who will sell you tickets at no extra cost.

If I was Dutch minister of transport.....

radamfi

Established Member
Yes, in Britain we don't pay extra to use credit cards to buy tickets, but the train companies are paying a lot of money to Visa/Mastercard/American Express in commissions, making train tickets more expensive than they would be if they didn't accept those cards. If Dutch Railways accepted those cards for free, then people using debit cards would have to pay more to subsidise the people using credit cards. However, I don't see why Dutch Railways don't accept Visa debit cards and Mastercard debit cards.

Quite a few travel companies, in particular airlines, even 'full service' airlines such as British Airways, charge extra for credit cards.

I also don't see a problem with charging extra for using the ticket office. It costs more to staff a ticket office so it makes sense to offer a lower fare for those using the ticket machine. If the ticket office was free then the people using the ticket machine would have to pay more.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
I got a Post Office bank account, specifically as it comes with a Maestro card, but it was not accepted at Dutch ticket machines when I tried it a few days ago. However, I notice that NS now have a list of stations where credit cards are accepted, which includes most major towns and stations near the border:

http://www.ns.nl/reizigers/producten/waar-te-koop/ns-kaartautomaat.html

- Amsterdam Centraal
- Amsterdam Duivendrecht
- Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena
- Amsterdam Sloterdijk
- Amsterdam Zuid
- Rotterdam
- Den Haag
- Utrecht
- Eindhoven
- Arnhem
- Maastricht
- Groningen
- Hengelo
- Roosendaal
- Schiphol

It also says credit cards are accepted at the ticket offices at those stations.

sarahj

Established Member
Yes, in Britain we don't pay extra to use credit cards to buy tickets, but the train companies are paying a lot of money to Visa/Mastercard/American Express in commissions, making train tickets more expensive than they would be if they didn't accept those cards. If Dutch Railways accepted those cards for free, then people using debit cards would have to pay more to subsidise the people using credit cards. However, I don't see why Dutch Railways don't accept Visa debit cards and Mastercard debit cards.

Quite a few travel companies, in particular airlines, even 'full service' airlines such as British Airways, charge extra for credit cards.

I also don't see a problem with charging extra for using the ticket office. It costs more to staff a ticket office so it makes sense to offer a lower fare for those using the ticket machine. If the ticket office was free then the people using the ticket machine would have to pay more.

It seems in the UK, banks are now charging more for cash handling than CC/DC commisions.

radamfi

Established Member
I have since learned that debit card transactions are very cheap for retailers in the Netherlands so their use is encouraged as much as possible, even for very small transactions. Credit cards and even UK debit cards are many magnitudes more expensive so that is why Dutch Railways and most supermarkets in the Netherlands don't accept them very much and the fee charged by Dutch Railways at those stations where they accept credit cards may not cover what it costs.

Apparently, they have only recently started accepting credit cards at those ticket office windows in the last few weeks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Paper tickets will be withdrawn from 9 July, replaced by disposable smartcards which will cost an extra €1, because they cost more to produce. Therefore all passengers will need to check in and out from that date.

http://nos.nl/artikel/650426-einde-papieren-treinkaartje-per-9-juli.html

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
Regarding the withdrawl of paper tickets - does anyone know how this will work for international journeys? These passengers will still have paper tickets issued outside the Netherlands. Also, presumably NS will have to still issue paper tickets for international journeys.

WestCoast

Established Member
I have since learned that debit card transactions are very cheap for retailers in the Netherlands so their use is encouraged as much as possible, even for very small transactions. Credit cards and even UK debit cards are many magnitudes more expensive so that is why Dutch Railways and most supermarkets in the Netherlands don't accept them very much and the fee charged by Dutch Railways at those stations where they accept credit cards may not cover what it costs.

Apparently, they have only recently started accepting credit cards at those ticket office windows in the last few weeks.
Paper tickets will be withdrawn from 9 July, replaced by disposable smartcards which will cost an extra €1, because they cost more to produce. Therefore all passengers will need to check in and out from that date.

http://nos.nl/artikel/650426-einde-papieren-treinkaartje-per-9-juli.html

The Netherlands has always been a bit hit and miss with card payments (especially foreign cards) - it's like Germany in the sense that cash is still popular for smaller transactions. I see that's changing now.

In contrast, I've just returned from Sweden, where credit and debit cards are accepted universally at TVMs and cash is not accepted at many locations. Many coaches and buses take cards! No surprise considering you can pay for pretty much everything by credit and debit card in the Nordics (even vending machines etc).

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Regarding the withdrawl of paper tickets - does anyone know how this will work for international journeys? These passengers will still have paper tickets issued outside the Netherlands. Also, presumably NS will have to still issue paper tickets for international journeys.

It will still take some time for barriers to be closed so paper ticket holders can carry on as usual for now. There are occasional trials where the barriers are closed, but there have been manual gates.

When barriers are in full use, there are going to be barriers with barcode readers and they are working with NMBS/SNCB and DB to develop tickets with barcodes. NS will still be issuing printed e-tickets themselves, although they intend to cut down the range of tickets available as only some barriers will have barcode readers so they don't want to encourage too much of their use. If all else fails you can use the manual gate where they are staffed or use the remote intercom if there are no staff.

Taunton

Established Member
I have an inkling that (at least some of) the machines at Schipol accept non-Dutch cards. Which makes it all the more frustrating that they have 'knobbled' the machines elsewhere...
I had never managed to get the machines at Schipol to accept my normal Visa debit card. However the last time this happened and I resorted to the ticket office (15 minute queue) the ticket clerk told me that when the machine comes up with the option for "is it a debit or credit card" (quite why it can't work it out from the number I don't know), although you are using a UK Visa debit card you should select Credit Card. Of course, I didn't have a chance to then go and try it.

Marklund

In contrast, I've just returned from Sweden, where credit and debit cards are accepted universally at TVMs and cash is not accepted at many locations. Many coaches and buses take cards! No surprise considering you can pay for pretty much everything by credit and debit card in the Nordics (even vending machines etc).

Oh, tell me about it - the queues at the bar before the football match I went to with all the locals paying for a pint, (never rounds), on their debit cards was annoying. Missed at least 2 pints because of it! :lol:
It will still take some time for barriers to be closed so paper ticket holders can carry on as usual for now. There are occasional trials where the barriers are closed, but there have been manual gates.

When barriers are in full use, there are going to be barriers with barcode readers and they are working with NMBS/SNCB and DB to develop tickets with barcodes. NS will still be issuing printed e-tickets themselves, although they intend to cut down the range of tickets available as only some barriers will have barcode readers so they don't want to encourage too much of their use. If all else fails you can use the manual gate where they are staffed or use the remote intercom if there are no staff.

Wonder what their plans are for FIP coupons.

radamfi

Established Member
I don't think it is common knowledge that domestic Dutch e-tickets can be be bought from the Belgian Railways international website, often at prices slightly lower than those charged by NS, and they accept foreign credit cards at no extra charge.

https://www.b-europe.com/Travel

WestCoast

Established Member
I don't think it is common knowledge that domestic Dutch e-tickets can be be bought from the Belgian Railways international website, often at prices slightly lower than those charged by NS, and they accept foreign credit cards at no extra charge.

Really? Now that is a good tip :D

Does the SNCB website simply produce a Belgian E-Ticket for presentation to NS staff, with the requirement for ID but rarely asked for? I say this as SNCB has never asked me for ID but it's routine on SBB in Switzerland who have a similar E-Ticket approach.

tripleseis

I had never managed to get the machines at Schipol to accept my normal Visa debit card. However the last time this happened and I resorted to the ticket office (15 minute queue) the ticket clerk told me that when the machine comes up with the option for "is it a debit or credit card" (quite why it can't work it out from the number I don't know), although you are using a UK Visa debit card you should select Credit Card. Of course, I didn't have a chance to then go and try it.
I always select "Credit Card" when paying with my debit card on a foreign ticket machine and it always works. It's probably to do with the way the transaction is handled by Visa etc.

radamfi

Established Member
Does the SNCB website simply produce a Belgian E-Ticket for presentation to NS staff, with the requirement for ID but rarely asked for? I say this as SNCB has never asked me for ID but it's routine on SBB in Switzerland who have a similar E-Ticket approach.

Yes, it is a regular Belgian e-ticket like you get for international journeys.

This independent Dutch website has a click through to SNCB (so maybe gets commission?)

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/reizen/e-ticket

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very handy that B Europe tip, and this whole thread has been an interesting read. It is for the sheer difficulty in getting tickets that I avoid planning trips to the Netherlands, which is a real shame as it's a country with a rather decent railway and one I want to travel more on.

That ticket which offers/offered travel across the Netherlands on trains all day would be amazing if it could be got without so much hassle. I don't plan on visiting all the time so an OV-chipkaart is not worth it for me. I'll have to wait until I can afford an Interrail trip again by the looks of it.

On which topic, if paperless travel is coming, Interrail tickets will have to change too.

Why, oh why, must NS make it such a massive PITA to travel around the Netherlands?

dutchflyer

Established Member

NOOne knows the answer for now.
In fact PAPERtickets will also NOt cease as per 9/7, as its still very much possible to use self-print A4 online ordered tickets. In fact there is right now still a promotion of such daytickets for just 17.50 (for 1 adult and 2 kids).
It will also NOT (yet) mean that the gates will ALL be closed-every station that has gates (as for now limited to the 2 main cities and the line Amsterdam-Lelystad) will have at least 1 open.
The most recent announcement (likely to be recalled many times again) is that THIS year only trials will be done at some minor stations to close all, at peak times, with always 1 staff at hand to let people with other tix pass by.
The big stations will close last-quite funny, as the whole thing was 5-6 years ago thought of to have people at least pass 1 time the gates-to prevent fraud. Very much similar to gated systems in your UK. Maybe 2016/7.
The idea is that INTernational tickets will have scramble barcodes and that at any station at least 1 gate (the wide one, for handicapped etc.) will have readers for those-just as €** has at St.Pancras. Many other railways have already implemented those codes-the latest trial to combat fraud.
My own personal opinion is, that NS at the start has simply not thought of all possible permutations re tickets and that by now the law of ''too early, too smart'' applies: newer systems are already smarter and more able to adapt. But that would mean throw away a few billion in investment.
At some times it indeed looked like they would want to run the system like an enclosed metro, like LUL and force all international trips to pass into the chipsystem at the transitpoint. Maybe even they get smarter and note that this is impossible.
Denmark, now also very busy to introduce its own nationwide similar REJSEkort has decided it can do without barriers.
Payment by credit card in the machines should be enrolled to all stations (or at least 1 machine at any station) by year end.
And you from UK be aware that the overwhelming part of INternational travellers here come from the € zone-Germany and Belgium. They can also use Maestro without any problem.

The minus for this is that there is NO generous money back if your train/connection is late (50% from 30 mins, 100% for 60 mins-paid out in cash in your bankacount-now into ANY €-bank in € zone).
1.That ticket which offers/offered travel across the Netherlands on trains all day would be amazing if it could be got without so much hassle.
2.I don't plan on visiting all the time so an OV-chipkaart is not worth it for me.
3.I'll have to wait until I can afford an Interrail trip again by the looks of it.
4.On which topic, if paperless travel is coming, Interrail tickets will have to change too.
5.Why, oh why, must NS make it such a massive PITA to travel around the Netherlands?

@1. ther are so many, but as told by now so often, not from NS, but from many retailers-price for 1 day (mo-fr only after 9.00) around 15/17€. Currently one from HEMA.
@2.I as Dutchman visit LOndon maybe 1/year and have an Oyster laying in the cupboard for then.
There will be yet another promotion that Chipcards will cost only 2 € in june/july 2014, either personal (with foto etc.) or anonymous.
@3.There is also IR-1 country, which is effectively 3 countries for NL-BE-LUX, from 3 days in 1 month.
@4.nonsense.
@5.The PITA is grossly overdrawn, as every day I see dozens of tourists able to use the trains here without too much fuss. Actually I find travel in Germany as for ticketing much more complicated- rules vary all the time, and I have an ecellent knowledge of German). And just stay mute about the UK with its multitude of competing and not accepting TOCs. Its also for a very big part the result of UK opting to not have €. At least you can console yourself a little bit, that USAers even have more trouble,,as they feel can still do without chip+PIN on their cred-cards (and will thus not be accepted at all in machines hre).
By now all machines, besides MAESTRO also accept V-pay. Maybe that also helps the Brits-a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.