• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Byelaws (UK) or Bylaws (US)? (trivia)

fandroid

Established Member
Intrigued by the spellings used in this subforum, I actually looked it up and the thread title explains all.

Here is a Gov.uk screenshot confirming the UK spelling.

Screenshot_20240217-071311.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This blog suggests Byelaws is the more common British spelling whilst Bylaws is the more common American spelling:
But note that there are other wrinkles to bylaws. Here’s what Garner’s Modern American Usage has to say:

Both the spelling and the sense differ on the two sides of the Atlantic. In AmE, bylaws are most commonly a corporation’s administrative provisions that are either attached to the articles of incorporation or kept privately. In BrE, bylaws are regulations made by a local authority or corporation, such as a town or a railway.

The spelling without the –e– is preferred in AmE. Though etymologically inferior, byelaw (sometimes hyphenated) is common in BrE.

I believe it's much the same as routeing (as in "Routeing Guide") and routing (as in "IATA fare routing"). Though there's a marked difference in the British vs American pronunciation of those words, with each being fairly phonetic.

fandroid

Established Member
This blog suggests Byelaws is the more common British spelling whilst Bylaws is the more common American spelling:

As our lawmakers use the "byelaw" spelling in the case of the railway byelaws which are the ones we often refer to in this subforum, I suggest that we should follow their example.

vinnym70

Byelaw is appropriate English as far as I can see.
Remember, when our American friends talk about routing, they are usually saying ROW-T-ING and not ROO-T-ING.
Same, but different. It's all still apparently 'English'

mrcheek

Established Member
As our lawmakers use the "byelaw" spelling in the case of the railway byelaws which are the ones we often refer to in this subforum, I suggest that we should follow their example.

Im not sure that following our lawmakers examples is so wise these days.....

DelW

Established Member
Byelaw is appropriate English as far as I can see.
Remember, when our American friends talk about routing, they are usually saying ROW-T-ING and not ROO-T-ING.
Same, but different. It's all still apparently 'English'
For me, if I see routing or hear the "row-t-ing" pronunciation, I think of either heavy defeat in battle, or the woodworking operation. The different pronunciation and spelling of routeing / "roo-t-ing" seems to me to be a useful distinction. I'm quite used to hearing the US use of rout / "row-t" to mean a way of getting somewhere, but it still always sounds odd to me. And in household equipment, a "row-ter" (woodworking) and a "roo-ter" (internet connection) are definitely not interchangeable.