• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BZx ticket without travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
If I have, for example, a Reading to BZ6 ticket, and I would like to travel from Reading to Slough and stop short, do I need to present a travelcard if inspected?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I have, for example, a Reading to BZ6 ticket, and I would like to travel from Reading to Slough and stop short, do I need to present a travelcard if inspected?

I'd say yes, because any BZ fare is only supposed to be sold to someone already holding a suitable zonal ticket. That's why they were never available from TVMs for a long time. Think of a BZ fare as a special form of excess fare, you wouldn't ever expect to find an 'excess' on its own...

furlong

Established Member
Then you should also have (and be able to show, on demand) an accompanying Travelcard, without which it's not valid!

Is this explained properly yet on those TVMs that sell them?

I can't think of any reason for someone to do this deliberately, but as long as you have a reasonable explanation for ending up in the situation I doubt there'd be any difficulty in practice - it's considered the same as a West Drayton ticket (same fare, same route and pretty much the same time restrictions).

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On other lines there is much to gain, such as being able to return to a different station in Zone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.