• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C class 720 updates

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They were to ease overcrowding and allow some of the existing 8 car trains to convert to 12 car by redeploying some peak hour workings. I think there is only 74 units of class 357, but loadings had grown and really needed 80-90 units

At the time of ordering (pre Covid) was severe crowding on some services, partly fixed by the temporary use of some 387s, and this was the permanent solution including bit of capacity growth to work alongside the 20 year old class 357 fleet

These are 24m vehicles, so a 10 car formation is about same length as 12 car class 357

I do not know if they will operate as 2 unit peak hour trains as obviously commuting flows have changed dramatically over last 25 months, there might be more sense in using them as single sets where a 4 car unit is too short, but an 8 car set is bit big.
I do wonder if, on the pre-pandemic thinking, the idea was that the LTS would not be their forever-home? That the 357s were first introduced 22 years ago, and thoughts may turn to replacing them say 2030 onwards, at which point it may have been though that GA could do with a fleet expansion using some identical units if a single (larger) LTS fleet were ordered to replace both classes?

If so, that would be some very rare long term thinking

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If so, that would be some very rare long term thinking
Unfortunately it wasn't so - c2c got them cheap as they are the same production run (and hence identical) to the GA batch.

They were changed from 10 car to 5 car as a result of them needing to be part of the same production line, when GA cancelled their order for 10 car units.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Unfortunately it wasn't so - c2c got them cheap as they are the same production run (and hence identical) to the GA batch.

They were changed from 10 car to 5 car as a result of them needing to be part of the same production line, when GA cancelled their order for 10 car units.
If commuting doesn't return they will be surplus to requirements along with a fair few of their GA sisters.

Established Member
If commuting doesn't return they will be surplus to requirements along with a fair few of their GA sisters.
c2c already has a shortage of units with commuting as it is now, and the question has already been asked if enough 720s were ordered.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
c2c already has a shortage of units with commuting as it is now, and the question has already been asked if enough 720s were ordered.
Does that mean that c2c is achieving the same level of revenue as pre-March 2020? That seems improbable.

Established Member
Does that mean that c2c is achieving the same level of revenue as pre-March 2020? That seems improbable.
No - the main difference is running 8 cars during the day instead of 4.

This was long required before COVID and seems not to be changing back.

meld3

Given GA supposedly have far too many 720's being built than now required, wonder make sense for c2c to take some of the build and dump the worst of the 357's.

43102EMR

Established Member
Given GA supposedly have far too many 720's being built than now required, wonder make sense for c2c to take some of the build and dump the worst of the 357's.
If that was the case, GA would have scaled back the 720/1 order when they amended it last year surely…

720603’s the unit being delivered today.

Mollman

Established Member
Why are we obsessed with dumping 357s? There are still older EMUs out there that should be replaced first.

Established Member
The 357s are all around the same standard. They are decent, but have been worked hard (especially the last two years with longer off-peak trains) and need a good refurbishment

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 357s are all around the same standard. They are decent, but have been worked hard (especially the last two years with longer off-peak trains) and need a good refurbishment

Hopefully when the 720s arrive and enter service, some of the 357s can get given a refurbishment, i.e. new seat covers, plug sockets etc

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hopefully when the 720s arrive and enter service, some of the 357s can get given a refurbishment, i.e. new seat covers, plug sockets etc
They have relatively new seat covers already (which clash a bit with the rest of the decor).

Are they really the sort of units where plug sockets are going to be added? I guess there is a programme to do the 377s so perhaps the approach would be similar.

Wolfie

Established Member
They have relatively new seat covers already (which clash a bit with the rest of the decor).

Are they really the sort of units where plug sockets are going to be added? I guess there is a programme to do the 377s so perhaps the approach would be similar.
Having used 357s reasonably regularly they aren't in bad shape interior-wise (except for regularly locked out toilets). The exteriors look a bit tired with some hints of corrosion. My big concern, given the apparent prevalence of failed trains based on my own, very possibly non-representative, sample would be the mechanical side of things.

Class 170101

Established Member
If that was the case, GA would have scaled back the 720/1 order when they amended it last year surely…
Except contractually I doubt GA could cancel part of the order. If c2c needed more units and GA less units in the interim it would be more likely that GA might loan c2c a few of their Class 720s.

43102EMR

Established Member
Except contractually I doubt GA could cancel part of the order. If c2c needed more units and GA less units in the interim it would be more likely that GA might loan c2c a few of their Class 720s.
There would likely be a clause somewhere, as there was to amend the order. Regardless, passenger numbers are increasing enough that GA needs more 10 car units than 5 at the moment, and will likely need so for the foreseeable future.

dorsetdesiro

It's great the c2c 720s have finally come into existence but I feel slightly underwhelmed when comparing to the artist drawings with the black fronts and purple/dark blue etc. This is just GA's own 720s with the red bits swapped for purple and similiar fabric on seating instead of c2c's own stamp on their 720s. This is as if Abellio are saying to Trenitalia you will be getting this and that ha ha!

Wolfie

Established Member
It's great the c2c 720s have finally come into existence but I feel slightly underwhelmed when comparing to the artist drawings with the black fronts and purple/dark blue etc. This is just GA's own 720s with the red bits swapped for purple and similiar fabric on seating instead of c2c's own stamp on their 720s. This is as if Abellio are saying to Trenitalia you will be getting this and that ha ha!
More likely that it is envisaged that they won't stay longer term but will go to GA (the hand of DfT perhaps?) and C2C will have a completely new homogeneous fleet.

Snow1964

Established Member
More likely that it is envisaged that they won't stay longer term but will go to GA (the hand of DfT perhaps?) and C2C will have a completely new homogeneous fleet.
Might have been DfTs long term plan at time of ordering, but much has changed regarding commuting and leisure traffic levels since.

Realistically probably another 8-15 years before class 357 replacement is ordered (and 3 years more by time it is delivered), and yes C2C might get a homogeneous fleet and release 720s. But by then the 720s could end up almost anywhere, even somewhere not currently wired like Swansea-Cardiff. But crystal ball speculation of 2030s is not really for this thread.

But I do wonder if it is now better to consider the likelihood of the 720s operating off peak as single 5car units. being 24m vehicles are equivalent to 6car 357, and there must be diagrams where 4car is insufficient, but running 8car is excessive. Would this be better option than original plan of 10car peak extras

Wolfie

Established Member
Might have been DfTs long term plan at time of ordering, but much has changed regarding commuting and leisure traffic levels since.

Realistically probably another 8-15 years before class 357 replacement is ordered (and 3 years more by time it is delivered), and yes C2C might get a homogeneous fleet and release 720s. But by then the 720s could end up almost anywhere, even somewhere not currently wired like Swansea-Cardiff. But crystal ball speculation of 2030s is not really for this thread.

But I do wonder if it is now better to consider the likelihood of the 720s operating off peak as single 5car units. being 24m vehicles are equivalent to 6car 357, and there must be diagrams where 4car is insufficient, but running 8car is excessive. Would this be better option than original plan of 10car peak extras
You may be right. It's interesting that the 720s have been tested through Grays (l saw one a couple of weekends ago). The 387s never ran that way.

357 LTSRail

You may be right. It's interesting that the 720s have been tested through Grays (l saw one a couple of weekends ago). The 387s never ran that way.
I think the 387s did actually do test runs on the loop line so that they can be sent round there in the event the mainline becomes blocked somewhere between Upminster and Pitsea. That way they’re not blocking the line and can get people home.

What they aren’t approved to do is stop at any of those loop line stations. They are permitted to run through non-stop only and I won’t be surprised if that’ll be the case with the 720s. The day 12 car despatch equipment is finally delivered to the loops I think they’ll be able to run passenger services.

Wolfie

Established Member
I think the 387s did actually do test runs on the loop line so that they can be sent round there in the event the mainline becomes blocked somewhere between Upminster and Pitsea. That way they’re not blocking the line and can get people home.

What they aren’t approved to do is stop at any of those loop line stations. They are permitted to run through non-stop only and I won’t be surprised if that’ll be the case with the 720s. The day 12 car despatch equipment is finally delivered to the loops I think they’ll be able to run passenger services.
TY

theking

Why would they need dispatch equipment when they have doo cameras

Established Member
I'm not aware of any restrictions on 387s running via Grays