• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"C4" restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just got a question on this that has appear now we on these strange timetables.

The off-peak return from Welwyn Garden City - London has a restriction of c4 (no arrival into London before 1000)

If I get the 0922 Welwyn Garden City - London Kings Cross, but change at Finsbury Park I arrive at Moorgate at 1007. I assume this is not allowed because the same train I got off arrives at Kings Cross at 0950.

No real drama waiting for the 0935 Welwyn Garden City - Moorgate, but was just wondering if it is based on the actual arrival or the earliest possible arrival (which is before 1000 in this case if I choose to go to Kings Cross)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Restrictions can be implemented based on any of these, I believe:

1. The timetabled time of the stop where you join the train
2. The timetabled time of the stop where you leave the train
3. The timetabled time the train you use arrives at its final destination
(but NOT the timetabled time of departure from its origin)

Whole trains can also be barred throughout but aren't in this case.

This applies to each leg of your journey unless the restriction specifically says otherwise (which some WMT ones do, but can't be implemented in the software!)

Therefore no, this isn't valid, as (3) is failed.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Restrictions can be implemented based on any of these, I believe:

1. The timetabled time of the stop where you join the train
2. The timetabled time of the stop where you leave the train
3. The timetabled time the train you use arrives at its final destination
(but NOT the timetabled time of departure from its origin)

Whole trains can also be barred throughout but aren't in this case.

This applies to each leg of your journey unless the restriction specifically says otherwise (which some WMT ones do, but can't be implemented in the software!)

Thanks, that makes sense. In the past it didn't make sense to change at Finsbury Park as you may as well wait for the following Moorgate which left at 0925 so was never an issue.

plugwash

Established Member
And it looks like the restriction code has time restrictions for a huge list of stations, so it will likely remain invalid even if/when the cambridge stoppers start running through the core.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I thought that the C4 restriction was an indication of which routes an item of rolling stock was able to use! ;)

I thought the thread was going to be about restrictions on the type of plastic explosive you are allowed to take on a train. ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And it looks like the restriction code has time restrictions for a huge list of stations, so it will likely remain invalid even if/when the cambridge stoppers start running through the core.

The code seems to have been written with (slightly different) times for every station these trains call at.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The joys of how Acronyms work, I see C4 and think explosive rather than tickets :)

But this one is an interesting one, in normal times, I could get the 0926 which is direct to Moorgate arriving 1007 (Which was always the first off-peak service from WGC). Because of Covid the 0926 is no longer running, but using the 0922 and changing gets you into Moorgate at the same time. I will wait until 0935 - not worth the penalty fare for the sake of 10 minutes.

Amused by peoples different expectations of the thread.

island

Veteran Member
Just to note that the outcome of using an off peak ticket on a train that it's not valid on is an excess fare of the difference between the fare paid and (in this case) the anytime fare, which comes to £5.30. A penalty fare is not to be issued in this circumstance.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just to note that the outcome of using an off peak ticket on a train that it's not valid on is an excess fare of the difference between the fare paid and (in this case) the anytime fare, which comes to £5.30. A penalty fare is not to be issued in this circumstance.

However, it is very likely a PF or UFN will be (incorrectly) issued, and you will have the hassle of dealing with that. Thus it is always best to resolve any ticketing problem before boarding if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.