• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cabbing (getting into train cabs) in the 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Reading posts got me thinking of "the good old days".

Two of my best ever 'cabs' were when I asked the driver of 25235 at Glasgow Queen Street if I could could cab the loco; it was the 08:35 to Oban (normally a Class 27).

I ended up travelling all the way to Oban in the cab, hiding in the boiler room at Crianlarich. What made it even more memorable was it was winter and snowing.

Another, even more memorable, was being allowed in the cab of 55013 from Edinburgh to Newcastle; not much of a view and ears ringing from the 2 Napier engines behind, but an unrepeatable experience.

This would never be allowed now but those (for me) were the heydays of being a railway enthusiast. I had quite a few other 'cabs', but will save them for now,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speed43125

Reading posts got me thinking of "the good old days".

Two of my best ever 'cabs' were when I asked the driver of 25235 at Glasgow Queen Street if I could could cab the loco; it was the 08:35 to Oban (normally a Class 27).

I ended up travelling all the way to Oban in the cab, hiding in the boiler room at Crianlarich. What made it even more memorable was it was winter and snowing.

Another, even more memorable, was being allowed in the cab of 55013 from Edinburgh to Newcastle; not much of a view and ears ringing from the 2 Napier engines behind, but an unrepeatable experience.

This would never be allowed now but those (for me) were the heydays of being a railway enthusiast. I had quite a few other 'cabs', but will save them for now,
Yeah, that must have all been brilliant, closest an impotent scallywag like me has ever done on the big railway is watching gauges (mainly speedo) in the inside cabs of units, and of course head out of a droplight. Certain units abroad still have a window in the back of the cab, but have only done that once on the mainline. (some of the older Siemens stuff on the Shanghai Metro was very fun on a trip there though.)

I'm sorry if I've lowered the tone of this thread already :|;)

delt1c

Established Member
Worry not, you are not lowering the tone. More recently ( ok 10 years ago) used to enjoy standing beside the disused cab on an 8 car 317 on WA watching speedo.

Also done that on 313’s in BR days before end doors were put out of use for passengers.

Then there were the good old days on the 126’s when you could fold down the 2nd mans seat ( sexist but that is what is was called ) and watch the route behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I only ever have traveled in the cab of one locomotive and that was D396 on the Broughton and Barton loop north of Preston. However, I have been in the cab of 100s of locomotive all in the 1970s

Whistler40145

Established Member
I've driven an AMTRAK service with the Engineer sat alongside from Rochester NY to Albany NY

Was a Toronto to New York Penn service

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Back in the dim and distant past, I was at Millerhill Yard looking at the depot and the yard.

I'd got there by bus, which went to one end, and I walked through the Yard to the other end. I then realised that I had to walk back through the yard to get the bus back to Edinburgh. So, I went into the office and asked if they knew whether there was a bus from that end of the Yard back to Edinburgh. "No", they said, "but we'll give you a lift back to the other end if you like". I obviously accepted this, and went out to a Class 40 (I can't remember which one) and had a lift all through the Yard. I was about to go and get the bus, when one of the drivers said "Do you want a lift into Edinburgh?" .. and so I went all the way to Waverley in the staff bus!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Back in about 1976 when I lived in Strood. I went across the Thames at Gravesend to get some different EMU action at Tilbury Riverside. Got chatting to a driver and ended up in the cab all the way to Fenchurch Street and back. I did a Tadpole from Tonbridge to Redhill and back around the same time. My highlight was a class 56 from Strood (maybe Gravesend) to Victoria dragging EPBs - it was the terrible winter of 1987 after we had been snowed in for a week. Last cab ride I had was early 90s Mancester Piccadilly to Euston - in a class 82 (OK a DVT !).

Richard Scott

Established Member
Taking it forward a decade driver of 37421 at Inverness asked myself and my mate if we wanted to ride to depot in 1988. We obviously said yes. Once he'd parked loco up he asked if we could find our own way out, which we duly did! Had a cabride on an ER20 in 2006 from Kempten to Immenstadt. Stunning scenery and in snow, shame the loco was a modern, quiet one and not a 218 but we we're grateful for the opportunity.
Back in 1987 asked to cab 50008 at Gloucester and driver said yes, he let me in then wandered off leaving me in there on my own!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
First one for me was D373 from opposite Stockport Edgeley MPD having taken over a (probably) Healey Mills bound freight service as far as Reddish South, my friend and I were just 12 years old at the time and the second man was a neighbour from close to where I lived, I recall we couldn't see a thing looking forward and were told to duck down low as we trundled through platform 4 at Stockport! Other memorable cab rides were Penzance to Truro in the cab of 50014, Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly via the Hope Valley in a class 110 dmu pelting along in the pitch darkness! and a class 310 emu running fast from Manchester Picc to Stockport. Nearly rode a 46 from Bristol TM to Malago Vale once, always kicked myself for not accepting that one!

APT618S

Had a cab ride along most of P1 at Carlisle in a light class 87. Would have been in the late 1970s.

SteveM70

Established Member
The one and only cab ride I got was 87015 from Coventry to Birmingham International in about 1984. The school I went to was next to the station and quite often we’d hang around on the platforms after school, pestering drivers to be allowed into the cab. Most said no but this one said yes, then asked if any of us had a valid ticket. As the holder of a county wide bus and train travelcard I could say yes, and the driver pointed towards the secondman’s seat and said “park yourself there”. He then gave it some hammer and had 110 on the speedo between Berkswell and Hampton in Arden. Those were the days!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
First one for me was D373 from opposite Stockport Edgeley MPD having taken over a (probably) Healey Mills bound freight service as far as Reddish South, my friend and I were just 12 years old at the time and the second man was a neighbour from close to where I lived, I recall we couldn't see a thing looking forward and were told to duck down low as we trundled through platform 4 at Stockport! Other memorable cab rides were Penzance to Truro in the cab of 50014, Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly via the Hope Valley in a class 110 dmu pelting along in the pitch darkness! and a class 310 emu running fast from Manchester Picc to Stockport. Nearly rode a 46 from Bristol TM to Malago Vale once, always kicked myself for not accepting that one!
You’ve forgot at least a couple that you’ve told me about! :lol:

Stathern Jc

Back in the early 80s I'd heard stories of folk getting cab rides, and remember one winter evening being tempted to try to get one on a Peak out of St Pancras back to Nottingham but not having the nerve.

Sitting in the front coach, after a while it was obvious that progress wasn't anything like what it should have been, and after crawling in to Harpenden we stopped with the loco level with the station buildings which the driver then walked towards.
Looking out of the window in the front door I enquired along the lines of "Summat up?", and the driver replied "Aye, you have a look at the front of the loco and you'll see what's up".
A bit earlier some yobs had dropped a stone from a bridge and it had gone through the centre windscreen, leaving pretty much the whole floor of the cab covered in fragments of glass just like from the old type of toughened glass car windows.
What a relief it hadn't been the one on front of the driver. Absolutely despicable vandalism but sadly probably not entirely unheard of, and one of the many things crews can find themselves having to react to on the spot.
I never thought about trying to cadge a cab ride after that.

To complete the journey assistance was summonsed from Bedford and a Class 25 met us at Luton.
Although going flat out it was never going to be able to recoup any of the lost time. But I do remember some interesting accoustics in the darkness as it was regularly given a good shove by the Peak from the back cab.

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
I managed Paris to Lyon on the high speed TGV a few years back, was chatting to the driver at Paris and soon as he heard I was a UK driver he insisted I joined him up the front. Bit easier over there as the TGV drivers just wear civvies so didn't stand out quite so much as it would over here.

Its a shame we cannot have people up front in the UK as I've met some lovely enthusuasts over the years who I'd love to have given a ride up front a HST , 57 or 802, but it really isn't worth the risk sadly, and would almost certainly lead to a P45.
I have however allowed plenty to look round the cab whilst stationary, which brings a smile to some faces :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
You’ve forgot at least a couple that you’ve told me about! :lol:

Oh yes, Barnstaple to St Davids 101! And another one....142 Pacer from Grindleford to Edale on the Hope Valley Line :)
I managed Paris to Lyon on the high speed TGV a few years back, was chatting to the driver at Paris and soon as he heard I was a UK driver he insisted I joined him up the front. Bit easier over there as the TGV drivers just wear civvies so didn't stand out quite so much as it would over here.

Its a shame we cannot have people up front in the UK as I've met some lovely enthusuasts over the years who I'd love to have given a ride up front a HST , 57 or 802, but it really isn't worth the risk sadly, and would almost certainly lead to a P45.
I have however allowed plenty to look round the cab whilst stationary, which brings a smile to some faces :)
You sound like one of the old school BR drivers irish_rail!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sitting in the front coach, after a while it was obvious that progress wasn't anything like what it should have been, and after crawling in to Harpenden we stopped with the loco level with the station buildings which the driver then walked towards.
Looking out of the window in the front door I enquired along the lines of "Summat up?", and the driver replied "Aye, you have a look at the front of the loco and you'll see what's up".
A bit earlier some yobs had dropped a stone from a bridge and it had gone through the centre windscreen, leaving pretty much the whole floor of the cab covered in fragments of glass just like from the old type of toughened glass car windows.

Must have been the frightful yobs in St Albans.

Beebman

The only time it happened to me was in the autumn of 1980 - I was riding in the front seat of a DMU (I think it was a 104) from Camden Road to North Woolwich when the driver noticed my interest in the forward view and he invited me into the cab for an even better view! We had an interesting chat about places of railway interest along the route especially the Connaught Tunnel which of course will one day (eventually!) have Crossrail Trains running through it.

Established Member
Travelling home with my parents late 70s I was nosing through the cab window of a 306 unit at Liverpool St when the driver turned up and asked if I wanted a closer look. Next thing I know the guard has closed the doors, ding ding and we‘re off. Worried parent appears at Stratford, much relieved to find me in the cab. Driver and parents happy for me to stay there until we got home.

Only other occasion before I joined BR, was a trip on a Stratford ‘toffee apple‘ (class 31/0) in thick fog from Stratford to Stowmarket. Glad the driver knew where we were.

Those two drivers probably sub-consciously started my career aspirations. If it occurred today it would end theirs at a stroke.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had (I think) four trips up the bank from Exeter st David’s to Exeter Central in the 80s with a friend who had the gall to ask. Three in large logo 50s and one in a 33. Absolute magic, and extremely cherished memories.
We cabbed loads of stuff as youths just by asking the driver, that included 31s, 37s, 45s, D200, a TC set, an HST etc. The drivers were really patient with us lads looking back on it.

I first cabbed a loco when I was really little so probably in the 70s, which was a class 47 at Nottingham and the driver explained to a very young me what everything did while my parents looked on.

Iskra

Established Member
In the late 1990's/early 2000's little Iskra rocked up at Carnforth Steamtown with the parents ...to find it had closed as a visitor attraction. However, some staff took pity upon us and gave me a ride on a Black 5 to the end of a siding and back which I obviously loved.

In more recent times, I paid for a cab ride on the Elsecar Heritage Railway on a diesel shunter. It was worth it for the better view, explanation of the line from the staff and the general banter.

peteb

First cab: class 37 on track laying train between Hagley and Stourbridge Junction c 1975. Class 86 Euston to Rugby around 1985: driver asked if I wanted a look in the cab....and then we were off! Also in Hungary cabbed a steam loco near lake Balaton 1993 at end of trip, loco going back to depot. Long walk back to station afterwards! Really great experiences sadly unlikely to be repeated.

47296lastduff

One Saturday night I was catching the overnight St Pancras to Sheffield, specifically because it was due to be diverted via Corby and Melton Mowbray. This was at the time when the stock was Mark 1 compartments, so you could stretch out for a good night's sleep. I went to the front and asked the driver of the class 45 if the diversion was still on, and he promptly asked me to ride with him. I declined, sadly, as I wanted some sleep after a long day out. I think he was single-manned, and wanted some company.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I first cabbed a loco when I was really little so probably in the 70s, which was a class 47 at Nottingham and the driver explained to a very young me what everything did while my parents looked on.
On my first trip to Scotland in 1987 a driver invited myself and my two friends into 47705. He took us through the engine room and showed us the push pull equipment. It was a bit embarrassing as we couldn't understand his thick Glaswegian accent.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Slightly earlier than the period first mentioned, I wonder if it was any easier?

I had a “drive” of a couple of diesel shunting locos in Alnwick goods yard, about 1967, although it might have been the same one, they were a couple of weeks apart. Claytons were in use I think but no idea of the number(s).

Also had a cab ride in some sort of diesel loco that was hauling an engineers train, they were lifting the station area tracks just after final closure. I’ve no idea of the class or number of this one, and I accept no personal blame for the dismantling, I was only 12...

Around 1970 I visited Contumil shed in Porto with a CP permit. Afterwards I was given a lift back to Contumil station on the footplate of a Pacific (No 503 I think). The loco was going to take over a train from Sâo Bento to Viana do Castelo which was electrically hauled as far as Contumil, steam being barred from Sâo Bento.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Slightly earlier than the period first mentioned, I wonder if it was any easier?

I had a “drive” of a couple of diesel shunting locos in Alnwick goods yard, about 1967, although it might have been the same one, they were a couple of weeks apart. Claytons were in use I think but no idea of the number(s).

Also had a cab ride in some sort of diesel loco that was hauling an engineers train, they were lifting the station area tracks just after final closure. I’ve no idea of the class or number of this one, and I accept no personal blame for the dismantling, I was only 12...

I wonder could it have perhaps been some type of industrial diesel shunter if the dismantling work had been handed over to contractors?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder could it have perhaps been some type of industrial diesel shunter if the dismantling work had been handed over to contractors?
No it was definitely a proper mainline diesel loco, cab at both ends. Can’t picture the exact type at this distance, but I think it probably wasn’t a 37 style front end, ie with a “bonnet”. I really wasn’t paying that much attention back then...

I remember my grandfather knew absolutely everyone at Alnwick station on a first name basis. He rented his allotment from BR, it overlooked the turntable...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
No it was definitely a proper mainline diesel loco, cab at both ends. Can’t picture the exact type at this distance, but I think it probably wasn’t a 37 style front end, ie with a “bonnet”. I really wasn’t paying that much attention back then...

I remember my grandfather knew absolutely everyone at Alnwick station on a first name basis. He rented his allotment from BR, it overlooked the turntable...

Interesting, just wondering if the NBL class 21/29s worked that far South back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.