• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Confirms UK Assembly Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The press did say at a Strategic location on the Northern network, which kinda rules out South Wales. As others have said it would be for maintenance too which would favour a central location with good depot access rather than on the extreme of the Northern network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The press did say at a Strategic location on the Northern network, which kinda rules out South Wales. As others have said it would be for maintenance too which would favour a central location with good depot access rather than on the extreme of the Northern network.

Plenty of surplus railway land at Healey Mills, as long as you build the thing on stilts to avoid the occasional floods! :lol:

RobShipway

Established Member
I was wondering if they would use the old Metro-Cammell/Alstom site near Birmingham as I suspect that if it still exists that it would be ideal for CAF's operations and accessible from the WCML.

The only other area, if it was to be built that I can see it being is somewhere like Preston.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was wondering if they would use the old Metro-Cammell/Alstom site near Birmingham as I suspect that if it still exists that it would be ideal for CAF's operations and accessible from the WCML.

The only other area, if it was to be built that I can see it being is somewhere like Preston.

Theoretically there's loads of potential sites, Washwood Heath probably too far from the North for the maintenance side (and I think large chunks of the site are used by other businesses). Even Preston is probably too far from the core operating area, particularly for the East side fleet. Plenty of space at Low Moor near Bradford which is also convenient for the Motorway. No shortage of sites around Leeds either, including the former Hunslet works site at Holbeck.

Harbornite

Established Member

No they won't, unfortunately. The site is currently used by Boden rail for locomotive maintenance and will be redeveloped for the HS2 depot. Furthermore it isn't in the North...

hwl

Established Member
Furthermore it isn't in the North...

It definitely is for those south of the Thames:lol::lol::lol:

[The centre of population of England is in Leicestershire just slightly further north of Washwood]

Mikey C

Established Member
Either way, it's surprising that such news has rather dribbled out, rather than being announced by a beaming government politician!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Either way, it's surprising that such news has rather dribbled out, rather than being announced by a beaming government politician!

Surely any announcement will be made once a location is chosen? After all, there will be some people really happy and others very disappointed, so you want to be standing with the happy ones!

Mikey C

Established Member
Surely any announcement will be made once a location is chosen? After all, there will be some people really happy and others very disappointed, so you want to be standing with the happy ones!

It was certainly strange that a factory announcement wasn't made at the same time as the announcement of the large orders?

Surely CAF haven't suddenly decided to open a UK plant 2 months later?

WatcherZero

Established Member
They are bidding for Merseyrail rolling stock contract which requires the Rolling Stock provider to also operate and invest in modernising their depots.

If they have been shortlisted that might have tilted the scales in favour of a heavy maintenance/assembly plant elsewhere in the North West that could also be used other Tocs work. And just refurbing the Merseyrail depots for light maintenance/stabling.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As far as I can see, the Railway Gazette story has not (yet) been repeated elsewhere, notably not on CAF's own site.
RG is normally a very reliable and informed source, but this has a rather odd feel to it.
CAF was already committed to provide a logistics and support operation for Northern and TPE, and I wonder if this is just a possible uplift of the plans for that site, linked to its future bids?
I can see it making a difference to its Merseyrail bid.
Northern has also been vague about its maintenance plans for the CAF trains, saying only that they will be based at existing depots.
TPE (and Serco) have gone with Alstom Traincare.

El Magnifico

Are they getting ready for a post Brexit environment as it will be cheaper to build trains in the UK given that the way things are going there will be duty for trains coming into the UK from the EU.

Regarding the location has anyone thought that it could be in Northern Ireland given that all trains operated by Northern Ireland Railways are built by CAF so they have a large presence in the Province already.
The EU rate of customs duty on DMUs and EMUs is 1.7%. It is the same rate for most rolling stock parts (although axles and wheels attract a rate of 2.7%). So, assuming that post-Brexit we mirror the EU tariff (not a certainty of course) then importing finished vehicles or parts for assembly from the EU will make little difference from a customs duty point of view. If we can negotiate a duty-free trade agreement with the EU then the situation will be as it is now (plus import entry beauraucratic costs).

With the mention of Maintenance, you've got to feel that a West Coast location might be more suited as it would then allow easier access for major servicing of any NI stock.

The Enterprise 3000\4000 are are already maintained at York Road and Fort William Belfast. I will visit CAF again soon and try to find out a bit more info.

HH

Established Member
I too think Teeside would be a good location. It was the first spot that popped into my head.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Enterprise 3000\4000 are are already maintained at York Road and Fort William Belfast. I will visit CAF again soon and try to find out a bit more info.

But that's a good point.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The EU rate of customs duty on DMUs and EMUs is 1.7%. It is the same rate for most rolling stock parts (although axles and wheels attract a rate of 2.7%). So, assuming that post-Brexit we mirror the EU tariff (not a certainty of course) then importing finished vehicles or parts for assembly from the EU will make little difference from a customs duty point of view. If we can negotiate a duty-free trade agreement with the EU then the situation will be as it is now (plus import entry beauraucratic costs).

It's the consultancy and support side which is critical though, which is where freedom of movement comes in.
There are many Spanish folk working on UK contracts (GW electrification being one).
Getting a work visa is where the bureaucracy kicks in, with quotas and restricted job definitions.
Similarly UK folk working on the continent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.