• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF donations to the Conservative Party

JamesT

Established Member
Again I will point out that it's now widely known that three years ago, ludicrously profitable PPE contracts were dished out by this government, spending vast amounts of public money, almost exclusively to Tory donors and cronies. When they behave like that once (in fact many times), it's hardly surprising that people believe the worst of them, and they have only themselves to blame for that.
This is not correct. Contracts awarded during the pandemic were of the order of £18bn. Those issued to companies associated with the Conservative Party were around £1.5bn.

The GoodLaw Project tried taking the government to court regarding these, pretty much the only grounds they succeeded on were that the government failed to publish details of the contracts within the specified time limit. Issuing contracts without competitive tender was legitimate due to the circumstances and the ‘VIP lane’ companies were subject to the same verification as everyone else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Nobody on this thread has directly accused any of the DFT, LNER or CAF of wrongdoing. We're all well aware that there's a high likelihood that this was a standard award and that the donations CAF made to the Tory party were coincidental and unrelated. What some (including myself) have done is point out that it doesn't look good regardless what really happened and that with this current government you really can't rule out anything untoward.

So what's the point making a fuss over something that is probably perfectly fine but just doesn't look good? If, as you say, everyone is well aware that the donations are probably coincidental, then what on Earth was the point of this whole thread? I dunno about anyone else, but I want to live in a society where we make sure that things actually are fine, honest and not corrupt. I do not want to live in a society where everyone is focused on whether stuff looks good irrespective of whether it actually is OK (And for example, where people hesitate to make perfectly legitimate donations or do other perfectly legitimate things because they might not look good). There's already a good hint in this post quoted below that this obsession with appearances already happens maybe too much. Why make the problem worse?

Certainly where I work, a large amount of the anti bribary training isn't about bribes that would actually make any material difference but how to avoid giving the impression of wrongdoing and damaging the companies reputation.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
This is not correct. Contracts awarded during the pandemic were of the order of £18bn. Those issued to companies associated with the Conservative Party were around £1.5bn.

The GoodLaw Project tried taking the government to court regarding these, pretty much the only grounds they succeeded on were that the government failed to publish details of the contracts within the specified time limit. Issuing contracts without competitive tender was legitimate due to the circumstances and the ‘VIP lane’ companies were subject to the same verification as everyone else.
Fair enough, I evidently over-egged that pudding based on reading about a number of high profile cases, and I've amended my wording.

But this government has hardly had a track record of probity, particularly under Johnson, and that leads to an assumption that there may be favours being repaid, even when it's not the case.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Nobody on this thread has directly accused any of the DFT, LNER or CAF of wrongdoing.
This seems like an accusation to me:
The dust is yet to settle on the absolute scandals with contracts handed out to every man and his dog (as long as they had a blue rosette on) and yet we still have people happy to defend what's clearly happening with CAF.

GWVillager

A quick search on the electoral comission website shows that CAF Rail UK Ltd have made four donations to the Conservative Party over the last 6 years, most recently in 2022, coming to a total of £150,000.
I assume that CAF won this order from a 100% government owned company because they submitted the best bid, and that it's just coincidence that CAF have donated £150,000 to the governing party over the last 6 years... :s
Did you write to a newspaper in the end? I’m considering writing to the Guardian (they’ll probably be interested in this), and it does feel like something that should be investigated. Obviously, though, it’s better if the actual uncoverer of the donations tips them off!

D6130

Established Member
Did you write to a newspaper in the end? I’m considering writing to the Guardian (they’ll probably be interested in this), and it does feel like something that should be investigated. Obviously, though, it’s better if the actual uncoverer of the donations tips them off!
....and possibly Private Eye too?

Established Member
I saw that, averaged £25k over 6 years, not the millions (which some other donors gave) that was stated. Just correcting the facts.

£1M or 1p - It still utterly stinks of Tory corruption and fraud.

Especially when their trains rock like a fairground ride and large chunks of brand new trains were falling off not too long ago.