• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF MK5 Rough Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it also a fair assumption that Velim's test track doesn't reflect the reality of certain UK trackwork where things really aren't tip-top?

Possible, I suppose.

It's been a long time since I was on a Mk3 sleeper so I can't remember how their BT10s compare with CAF's bogies. Anyone done the Night Riviera recently?

Mk3s ride a different sort of badly compared to modern kit and always have - more of a side-to-side sway than anything else due to inadequate lateral damping (you'll note that on Mk2s and Mk3s there is no rotational/lateral damper between the body and the bogie; the superbly-riding 158 was the first BR kit to have those, if I recall). I prefer a modern hard ride to that, but others don't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
Mk3s ride a different sort of badly compared to modern kit and always have - more of a side-to-side sway than anything else due to inadequate lateral damping (you'll note that on Mk2s and Mk3s there is no rotational/lateral damper between the body and the bogie; the superbly-riding 158 was the first BR kit to have those, if I recall). I prefer a modern hard ride to that, but others don't.
When the HST trailer bogies were used in Australia they had to be modified to provide a much larger amount of lateral damping - which only really served to compensate for the poorer track since the XPTs exhibit exactly the same "on a boat" swaying.

It's particularly fun given that the XPTs have sleeper cars with transverse beds :p

Status
Not open for further replies.