• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entertexthere

In 2015 (ish) there was a report about electrification in the north. The calder valley was at the top of the top of the list for CP6. I know there's still the Bolton probject going on, but is it still on the cards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
One can but hope - but I doubt it will happen much before 2040/2050 - or until DfT accepts that diesel power is bad for the climate & atmospheric pollution.

Ianigsy

I think the Calder Valley will be needed too much during any electrification on the Standedge route for electrification to be considered seriously in the next decade at least. Victoria to Rochdale would be straightforward enough to do, but there are a lot of tunnels thereafter.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I think the Calder Valley will be needed too much during any electrification on the Standedge route for electrification to be considered seriously in the next decade at least. Victoria to Rochdale would be straightforward enough to do, but there are a lot of tunnels thereafter.
I agree - although a good scheme imho it can not be going on if Transpennine gets heavy modification

Chester1

Established Member

I agree - although a good scheme imho it can not be going on if Transpennine gets heavy modification

Victoria-Rochdale would be a good choice for AC electrification as part of a dual volt tram train scheme. It would enable fast services from Victoria to Rochdale town centre and potentially further into Rochdale. I agree though there is no chance of it being done in the current political climate and with the importance as a divisionary route during the Standedge upgrade.

td97

Established Member
North west electrification bucket list (in a best-guess order):
Lostock to Wigan
Stalybridge
Transpennine
Skelmersdale 3rd rail extension
NPR
HS2b

Add Calder Valley to the bottom. 15 years off at least.

Entertexthere

Upon digging around, I have found in the may 2018 issue of modern railway, network rail applied a coat of insulating to a bridge in cardiff. Such a thing would be very useful for the Rochdale to leeds section where there is lots of tunnels. Either way, it will probabally never happending (or at least in the theart ime of my great great great grandchildren)

Status
Not open for further replies.