• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley line improvement works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eric

Why are they extending the platform at BDI?

To accommodate the new five and seven carriage trains. Platforms 3 and 4 can only hold a three-car 158 at present since they moved the orange buffers further away from the historic buffers.

Three and four will still be shorter than one and two due to the constraints of the tracks.

vvd

To accommodate the new five and seven carriage trains. Platforms 3 and 4 can only hold a three-car 158 at present since they moved the orange buffers further away from the historic buffers.

Three and four will still be shorter than one and two due to the constraints of the tracks.

Thanks

geoffk

Established Member
Possibly because Mills Hill gets 4 peak time additional calls by services that continue on to places like Selby for instance.
Sam
Yes I guess so. I'm assuming that the extensions are to accommodate class 195, as the driving cars are 24m long, so two 2-car units would be 4m longer than 2 x 158.

Halifaxlad

Established Member

Since when were they going to run 7 carriage trains? I know its mean't to be at least 6, but I already suspect that has been whittled down to 5.

Eric

Since when were they going to run 7 carriage trains? I know its mean't to be at least 6, but I already suspect that has been whittled down to 5.

I don't know in what formation the new trains will run but the people working at the end of platforms 3/4 said the new length has to be able to accommodate the new trains in five and seven carriages.

Could the seven carriage trains be strengthened peak services?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I don't know in what formation the new trains will run but the people working at the end of platforms 3/4 said the new length has to be able to accommodate the new trains in five and seven carriages.

If they are I am surprised and very much impressed.

Although Im surprised that they will have enough new units.

Halifaxlad

Established Member

If they are then I'm genuinely impressed, although I think he might have mean't 5 & 6. Since the Calder Valley Line is apparently is get these new units of which according to Wikipedia total....

25 x 2-car units
30 x 3-car units

then these would have to run as 2,2s & 1,3 that I can't seem them doing although I could see 2, 3 cars coupled together. I think we will just end up with a mere 5.

Sowerbylad

Must be record for longest construction time for such a pathetically short platform extension?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Must be record for longest construction time for such a pathetically short platform extension?

Ironically I ended up passing through Sowerby the same night, had to have a look.

Anyway I note the lifts at Hebden Bridge are slowly progressing.

I will provide photo's when my phone working and Im next passing through.

superkev

Established Member
This Mondays pic from the platform extension must be 15 weeks plus now.
Looks close now.
Platform 1 ticket machine still non funtional. Adjacent crude wooden cover remains over some future mystery machine.
K

Attachments

• 20181119_145303.jpg
    20181119_145303.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 75

rich-leeds

Tweet from Network Rail regarding gauge clearance works to Dean Royd tunnel between Todmorden and Walsden. Includes couple of pictures..

https://twitter.com/TheGNRP/status/1065605470935752705

Last night, we completed work at the Victorian Dean Royd tunnel on the Calder Valley Line near #Todmorden & #Walsden to make room for future bigger and longer @northernassist @TPEassist trains. @CWhittakerMP @Calderdale https://t.co/1WjFXE2Jfc

Meerkat

Established Member
What exactly have they done? Shaved back some protruding stonework in the top corner of the gauge?

superkev

Established Member
Today's pics from the Sowerby Bridge platform saga. Looks about finished as is the plat 1 ticket machine and adjacent mystery green box.
K20181123_141622.jpg 20181123_141830.jpg

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Mytholmyroyd a few days ago.

They have also unsurprisingly/surprisingly been trimming the disused platform end back.

I don't know why they just didn't take the opportunity to get rid of it?

Chris442

Mystery green box will be the power supply for the ticket machine circuit breakers etc.

superkev

Established Member
20181201_004432.jpg Today's pic from the half a coach or so Sowerby bridge platform extension saga around 16weeks now. No obvious change from last week, looks finished with working lights but fenced off.
Prob waiting for inspection from the various organisations trying to out safe each other.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.