• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

caledonian sleeper bargain berth tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking into trying to get some of these but was wondering about whether if you booked for two berths and only one person travels if theres any written rule about not using the other berth? Also according to the scotrail site the tickets must be used only to and from london or scotland not boarding at intermediate stations ie crewe, preston. Is there anything stopping you from say on the southbound journey alighting at crewe instead of Euston?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Looking into trying to get some of these but was wondering about whether if you booked for two berths and only one person travels if theres any written rule about not using the other berth? Also according to the scotrail site the tickets must be used only to and from london or scotland not boarding at intermediate stations ie crewe, preston. Is there anything stopping you from say on the southbound journey alighting at crewe instead of Euston?

The other berth you bought may be sold "train side" by the sleeper host as it is effectively 'empty'. I suppose you could say you bought an additional ticket for your luggage which they couldn't really do anything about, except maybe excess you up to an AAA ticket.

As for Southbound, nothing to stop you - UNLESS:

a) The sleeper host physically restricts you, or Revenue Protection at the station charge you for a brand new ticket from Scotland-Watford Jn as your ticket is not valid at Crewe. London Midland RPIs are sometimes at Crewe this time of morning blocking the stairs and may not let you out without a valid ticket.

b) You don't have sole use of the berth, and the other person is travelling further South. So that you don't wake them up when you get ready, you must travel in a berth with someone going the same destination. e.g. if you have to share and the person is going to London, you can't get off until London.

Will the train still stop at Crewe, even if there are no passengers booked to get off?

I should hope so. It's on the Crewe station timetable (Departures sheets) (or at least used to be). Passengers at Crewe might have a valid interavailable ticket and want to chance their luck with a trainside berth supplement?... although I have to confess I'm not sure whether this is allowed in practice?

First class

Established Member
Will the train still stop at Crewe, even if there are no passengers booked to get off?

Yes, it will. Usually arrives anything up to 20-30minutes early, seems able to leave Preston quite early, but the signalman doesn't let an early departure from Crewe usually.

Crewe is not a 'request stop'.

In experience, someone has always got off there anyway.

It does NOT pick up at Crewe, only sets down. If you got on the train, and got caught, you would be liable to pay for a ticket from Scotland-London.

thanks for the info there, it seems almost impossible to get the bargain berths especially on the fort william one, i dont think ive seen any £19 on there yet, a few £29 but they must get snapped up as soon as they go online at 0000 each friday. I think its just a case of get the bargain berth then plan whatever your doing around that as you just cant guarantee what dates are available

EltonRoad

I believe the £19 ones are only available on Tuesdays on the Fort William service.

Also: if you buy two tickets then you can surely use both berths for yourself. They can't sell it again trainside, you've already bought it. It is no different to buying an extra train ticket for a large item of luggage and putting it on a seat.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
It is no different to buying an extra train ticket for a large item of luggage and putting it on a seat.
and you aren't allowed to do that.
You must not place luggage or other articles on seats
required for passengers.
Do you really think it is reasonable to make other passengers stand up so that your luggage has a seat?

tony_mac

Established Member
I see, yes, it does say that, I couldn't find that in the nrcoc.

It is suprising how many people do think their luggage deserves a seat. I got a bit of a stroppy response recently when asking someone to move their (small) bag from a seat. After some conversation, it turns out that she knew quite well the train was going to be rammed, so I have no idea why she left her bag on the seat, or was so difficult about removing it.

It seems a bit mean to me to waste the cheap berths when other people would happily use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.