• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper: How should it be run and what changes would you like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Changing the current 1x lowlands and 1x highlander arrangement to 1x Fort William and 1x Inverness via Aberdeen would completely remove splitting.

If they use the GBRf class 99s they wouldn't need to change locos either.
I very much doubt 16 coaches could fit all the way to Fort William. You would have to split off 8 coaches in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Probably same for Inverness and then Inverness currently fills 8 coaches already so no room for extra Aberdeen passengers. It would, as others have said, make for unattractively early arrival times in the Central belt (including Glasgow and Edinburgh) or very late arrival times in the far North.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Have you considered platform length restrictions, particularly on the West Highland? I doubt the West Highland would take much more than load 6 and the Inverness as load 8. So rather than running two 16-coach trains out of Euston, you'd suggest running an 8-car and a 6-car. That's not going to improve things in any way, shape or form, is it?
I did think about that... once I posted the message. Would merging the lowlander into one of the highlander and splitting both trains in 2 be any easier than splitting one train into 3?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would merging the lowlander into one of the highlander and splitting both trains in 2 be any easier than splitting one train into 3?
Where is the split going to be done? The Highlander leaves London at 2115 and the Lowlander at 2350. The Highlander arrives in Edinburgh at 0400 and Inverness at 0840. Either way, the timings of one don't work for the other.

Even if the Edinburgh portion sat in the platform at its destination for four hours, is a sleeper at 2115 from Euston for Edinburgh really capturing the market when you can leave Kings Cross at 2018 and sleep in a hotel on arrival?

Part of the usefulness of the Lowlander is that it departs late evening.

adamedwards

How about an entirely separate West Highland train for both Fort William and Oban? Imagine the fun splitting 16 cars at Crianlarich. Class 99 carries onto Fort William and a 73 backs on to take the remaining 8 cars to Oban. Now if they could also make that a 37/4 it would a spotters sellout. (I do know the train length limits on the west highland make this impossible.) :D

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I can see a societal benefit to the Highland sleeper, but I do wonder why the Lowland service continues. There’s any number of alternative methods of getting between Glasgow/Edinburgh and London.
The other methods of getting between Glasgow/Edinburgh and London (other than seated coaches) don't run at the the same time though. While it is a niche activity, it does avoid using the daytime to travel.

JamieL

The other methods of getting between Glasgow/Edinburgh and London (other than seated coaches) don't run at the the same time though. While it is a niche activity, it does avoid using the daytime to travel.
Exactly this - if you want full working days before and after the travel, the CS is ideal.

jthjth

Exactly this - if you want full working days before and after the travel, the CS is ideal.
In which case the businesses involved should be paying. Why should the Scottish taxpayer subsidise the convenience? By all means run the Lowlander, but unsubsidised.

JamieL

In which case the businesses involved should be paying. Why should the Scottish taxpayer subsidise the convenience? By all means run the Lowlander, but unsubsidised.
It ensures taxpayers, many in higher or additional brackets, live and pay tax in Scotland. I am fairly sure Glasgow and Edinburgh have quite a vibrant tourist market as well!

'Day' trains or flights cover this from the central belt. It may mean being out of bed early, but the lowlander keeps you out of bed until late the night before.

jthjth

It ensures taxpayers, many in higher or additional brackets, live and pay tax in Scotland. I am fairly sure Glasgow and Edinburgh have quite a vibrant tourist market as well!
Do you honestly believe that any significant number of folk would decide not to live and work in Scotland if the Lowlander vanished? The vast vast bulk of tourists to Glasgow and Edinburgh do not arrive by the Lowlander. What is a disincentive to moving north of the border are the higher taxes. Higher rate kicks in much earlier and is a higher percentage. Council Tax is also steep, even allowing for the inclusive water bill.

JamieL

'Day' trains or flights cover this from the central belt. It may mean being out of bed early, but the lowlander keeps you out of bed until late the night before.
The "central belt" is fairly large, can you put the details to a specific scenario? Let's say a business meeting in Central London at 0900 on a Monday, departing from Helensburgh (either that morning or after 2000 plus hotel) - all by public transport and with shower and changing facilities at the London end before arrival at end destination (place of work).

Do you honestly believe that any significant number of folk would decide not to live and work in Scotland if the Lowlander vanished? The vast vast bulk of tourists to Glasgow and Edinburgh do not arrive by the Lowlander. What is a disincentive to moving north of the border are the higher taxes. Higher rate kicks in much earlier and is a higher percentage. Council Tax is also steep, even allowing for the inclusive water bill.
Yes I do. The quality of life, the cleaner air, the different legal system etc are all motivators to live in Scotland.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What about people who don't have a bed in the Central Belt and don't want to waste their day travelling?

IKB

I freely admit to being one of those bean counters, possibly because unlike many commentators here I actually live in Scotland and therefore subsidise, through the higher taxes I pay compared to the rest of the UK, the sleeper operation, from which I do not benefit, at all.

Not only do the sleepers not make a profit, they require huge public subsidy to keep running - What is the quantifiable benefit resulting from that subsidy?

The health service is essential, sleeper trains are not.

By that logic, since I don't have any children I should be free to opt out of paying for schools, since I derive no direct benefit.

It boils down to what role you see for the railways and what societal benefit they provide. If the primary focus is the bottom line they you'll be disappointed.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

that depends on how well you sleep in the beds. Personally I simply cannot function work wise after the sleeper. Some people can. But I much prefer taking a train around 1730 from London and hotel in Glasgow / Edinburgh.

JamieL

that depends on how well you sleep in the beds. Personally I simply cannot function work wise after the sleeper. Some people can. But I much prefer taking a train around 1730 from London and hotel in Glasgow / Edinburgh.
Yes, I do agree with that, its not a great night's sleep.

_toommm_

Established Member

I can quite easily function on three hours sleep, and have done on and off for years in a physically demanding job; but the sleep in the seats of the MK5 coaches was just about the most awful sleep I've had in years.

ABB125

Established Member

Perhaps Caledonian Sleeper management should have a chat with Snälltåget, operators of the Berlin to Sweden sleeper? I travelled in a couchette (couchette, not berth) on that around Easter and it was incredibly comfortable, possibly one of the best nights' sleep I've ever had.
I can quite easily function on three hours sleep, and have done on and off for years in a physically demanding job; but the sleep in the seats of the MK5 coaches was just about the most awful sleep I've had in years.
It's definitely possible to get away with 3 hours (or less) of sleep (and, based on recent experience, I'm less likely to fall asleep in a lecture than if I've had a normal 7-8 hours' sleep!), but it does catch up with you eventually. A 16 hour day of rail travel after 3 hours' sleep does get a bit tiring towards the end...

However, I'm not sure I'd want to be doing anything "important" with only 3 hours'sleep

johnnychips

Established Member
Perhaps Caledonian Sleeper management should have a chat with Snälltåget, operators of the Berlin to Sweden sleeper? I travelled in a couchette (couchette, not berth) on that around Easter and it was incredibly comfortable, possibly one of the best nights' sleep I've ever had.
Schnapps? :D

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Where is the split going to be done? The Highlander leaves London at 2115 and the Lowlander at 2350. The Highlander arrives in Edinburgh at 0400 and Inverness at 0840. Either way, the timings of one don't work for the other
Why does it take 6hr45 to get to Edinburgh in passenger stock rated for 100mph?

JamieL

Unfortunately I think the problem is more with the track than the CS.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Are there? I know they squash in a few more with 6er couchettes, but they aren't operating 16 car trains like we do - those days on European night trains are long gone - it's normally something like one sleeper, two couchettes and a seating car, more like the Riviera.
Never used Nightjet, but I have used one the SNCF's few remaining sleeper trains. The combined rake leaving Paris each night is certainly more than four coaches, which splits to a few different destinations along the journey. I booked seats both ways, but on my southbound journey the seated coach was swapped out for an additional couchette car (without bedding unfortunately). The setup on those services does seem more like a mobile hostel than a mobile hotel, with the seated coach being much like a road coach both from a cost and clientèle point of view. I can't recall exactly what my fare was, but I think it was around the £40 mark each way which is pretty good compared to what a day-fare plus a night in a hostel would be.

Given that SNCF have massively slashed their sleeper network in recent years, I assume it has a comparative level of subsidy to the Caledonian or Riviera. But the ones that remain are reasonably affordable and clearly provide an important link to some very rural and otherwise inaccessible parts of the country. A single return trip in October 2018 is not a great sample size, but the loadings seemed very healthy.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's definitely possible to get away with 3 hours (or less) of sleep (and, based on recent experience,

Not when you get to my age young man!

When I was in my early twenties I could write easily get away with no sleep at all, or multiple nights on a couple of hours. Not now!

As you well know, it is a) for comfort, b) for pathing and c) to give the punters on board the chance to have a decent length of sleep (or lying down, in my case).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because the loco is only rated for 87mph, it's booked over the Slow Lines, and it stops quite a few times, usually for longer than typical passenger services.

Plus if the journey were much shorter, people wouldn't get any sleep at all!

paul1609

Established Member
I often wonder how many people know about the Caledonian seats. They don't seem to be mentioned much (at all?) in the marketing. Cost wise they're pretty good value for money.

It's just a shame that from a comfort perspective they're such a step down from the Mk2s (in my opinion anyway).
The sleeper seats are a step down and roughly twice the price of the overnight Megabus service to Glasgow, Stirling Perth and by a connecting bus or train West Highland Stations especially the Oban line in my opinion.

Falcon1200

Established Member
By that logic, since I don't have any children I should be free to opt out of paying for schools, since I derive no direct benefit.

Another false analogy, because schools are essential to society, just as is the health service; And presumably you did yourself go to school at some point?!! Whereas sleeper trains which are extremely expensive to operate while serving a tiny fraction of the travel market, while nice to have, are not in any shape or form essential.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The sleeper seats are a step down and roughly twice the price of the overnight Megabus service to Glasgow, Stirling Perth and by a connecting bus or train West Highland Stations especially the Oban line in my opinion.

They aren't great, but they are a step up from a road coach. Road coach seats might recline more, but you're squashed up against someone the whole time. Fine if they're your partner, but definitely not otherwise.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They aren't great, but they are a step up from a road coach. Road coach seats might recline more, but you're squashed up against someone the whole time. Fine if they're your partner, but definitely not otherwise.
Again, it will differ for different people. You are only squashed up against someone the whole time on a road coach if one or both of you are carrying excess weight. There is no generalisation.

While I have occasionally had to prod someone who has lulled in the wrong direction, I don't find what you are describing, although I do like to have the centre armrest in place.

As you say, you do get a wider seat on the Caledonian Sleeper than on a road coach, but the lack of recline is a significant issue.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Again, it will differ for different people. You are only squashed up against someone the whole time on a road coach if one or both of you are carrying excess weight.

Eh? Coach seats are about the same width as 3+2 train seats. They are not wide enough for two average males to sit side by side without touching shoulders. 2+2 train seats are wider, as coaches are generally 2.5m wide while trains are 2.68-2.82m wide. 2+1 train seats as per CS are MUCH wider.

Status
Not open for further replies.