• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper New Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis Acott

With the new seats on the MK 5As, what do you actually get as a seated passenger and is it worth it instead of just getting a normal East or West coast daytime service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Oh dear, their passengers would have been much better served if CS had bought a job lot of the ex GWR first seats. I wouldn’t want to try and get some sleep on their replacement on the 800s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Plus if you are in the window seats you get a cold arm from the AC vents below the window.

The seats are reasonable enough, a lot better than the seats on the GWR sleeper

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Oh dear, their passengers would have been much better served if CS had bought a job lot of the ex GWR first seats. I wouldn’t want to try and get some sleep on their replacement on the 800s.

If you mean the leather covered Primarius seats from the HSTs they would be atrocious unless they were recovered in moquette and given a lot more padding underneath - leather is far too sweaty for sleeping and the seats always disappointed me as being firmer than they looked.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With the new seats on the MK 5As, what do you actually get as a seated passenger and is it worth it instead of just getting a normal East or West coast daytime service?

Personally the point of getting the seated sleeper is the arrival time at either end, not a choice between it or a day train on comfort grounds - if I want to get to London or Scotland early in the morning or leave late at night then I would get the seated sleeper (or a coach).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally the point of getting the seated sleeper is the arrival time at either end, not a choice between it or a day train on comfort grounds - if I want to get to London or Scotland early in the morning or leave late at night then I would get the seated sleeper (or a coach).

The selling point over a road coach is the 2+1 seating with better legroom, I'd say. The price is very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.