• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

caledonian sleeper split tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Is it possible to buy caledonian sleeper tickets on any mainstream ticket site or on split ticket sites?
Would it be possible to use split tickets for the fare and buy a sleeper supplement for the whole journey covered by the split tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is it possible to buy caledonian sleeper tickets on any mainstream ticket site or on split ticket sites?
They can be bought on some other websites but you may only be able to buy tickets for the seats. You aren't going to be able to reduce the price by splitting the fare because a given berth can only be used once and there are very few stations at which the sleeper sets down and picks up.

Would it be possible to use split tickets for the fare and buy a sleeper supplement for the whole journey covered by the split tickets?
Possibly, but I don't think you are going to find that approach is cheaper.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What sort of combination did you have in mind?

Once you exclude set down or pick up only stations, you are not left with many options!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can buy seats for the Caledonian Sleeper on most websites. Berths are generally only available through the CS website.

That said, there are unlikely to be many, if any, circumstances where it is possible or worthwhile splitting on CS. Almost all stations are either pick up only, or set down only, and so cannot be used for splitting (unless you hold a season ticket/Ranger/Rover etc.). Furthermore, the price of the Advance tickets (which will inevitably be cheaper than any other option) is the same, regardless of how far you travel on a given portion.

If you are also travelling on other services before/after the Sleeper, this is when it gets a little bit more complex to work out the optimal combination of tickets to buy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The only split tickets you could use on CS are a season/Ranger/Rover plus another ticket to join to it, as this doesn't require the train to stop at the split station, or if relevant a Boundary Zone ticket and a Travelcard.

All other relevant splits require the train to stop at the boundary station for both joining and alighting, and that I recall all intermediate stops on CS are for either boarding or alighting, none permit both.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
All other relevant splits require the train to stop at the boundary station for both joining and alighting, and that I recall all intermediate stops on CS are for either boarding or alighting, none permit both.
The calls on the Fort William portion from Dalmuir westwards are 'open', similarly the Inverness portion is 'open' from Kingussie northwards.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The calls on the Fort William portion from Dalmuir westwards are 'open', similarly the Inverness portion is 'open' from Kingussie northwards.

Of course, you're correct there. I'd be amazed if splitting at that end saved you anything, though. Generally as WCML Off Peaks are on the cheap side I'd be amazed if any split on CS saved anything even if other intermediates were possible - when using Trainsplit for WCML journeys the only splits that ever come up for flexible tickets are ones involving LNR Only fares which are obviously not valid. The only time splitting tends to save on the WCML is if you want to avoid Anytime fares, and they aren't applicable anyway, Off Peaks are valid on the Sleeper.

Flying Snail

Established Member
A random selection gives the supplement at £130 for a room that is £250 inclusive, with £120 to play with there is some scope for savings, particularly if you are travelling further or wanting to return on daytime trains with flexible tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A random selection gives the supplement at £130 for a room that is £250 inclusive, with £120 to play with there is some scope for savings, particularly if you are travelling further or wanting to return on daytime trains with flexible tickets.

An Off Peak Return from Euston to Glasgow is £160.90, so I'm not sure you would do much to improve on that. Long distance Off Peak Returns on the WCML are generally very well priced for historic reasons. I don't think I've ever found a walk-up split that saved money against one.

You'd save with Advances, of course, but in that case you'd also want a Sleeper Advance.

Euston-Fort Bill SVR is £192.80, and Glasgow-Fort Bill £55.10, so that split isn't worth it (and wouldn't be valid as the Glasgow stop is pick up only).

Most walk-up splits only save you money if you're stringing together Off Peak Day Returns (no use for a trip this long) or taking a specifically cheaper route or TOC. There are very few where you save by splitting Any Permitted Off Peak Returns, certainly on the WCML I've never found one.

Flying Snail

Established Member
An Off Peak Return from Euston to Glasgow is £160.90, so I'm not sure you would do much to improve on that. Long distance Off Peak Returns on the WCML are generally very well priced for historic reasons. I don't think I've ever found a walk-up split that saved money against one.

You'd save with Advances, of course, but in that case you'd also want a Sleeper Advance.

Euston-Fort Bill SVR is £192.80, and Glasgow-Fort Bill £55.10, so that split isn't worth it (and wouldn't be valid as the Glasgow stop is pick up only).

Most walk-up splits only save you money if you're stringing together Off Peak Day Returns (no use for a trip this long) or taking a specifically cheaper route or TOC. There are very few where you save by splitting Any Permitted Off Peak Returns, certainly on the WCML I've never found one.

You would still save by using the supplement + cheapest walk-up in some circumstances.

Also the berth inclusive fares have variable rates while the supplements seem to be fairly fixed so it's worthwhile looking at combining particularly when the inclusive fare is high.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You would still save by using the supplement + cheapest walk-up in some circumstances.

Also the berth inclusive fares have variable rates while the supplements seem to be fairly fixed so it's worthwhile looking at combining particularly when the inclusive fare is high.
The most expensive berth-inclusive fare for the Classic rooms is £270. So yes, if that's the only fare that is available (which is pretty unlikely - I'm not sure they ever sell that tier) then it would be cheaper to use a walk-up ticket and add on a supplement. But it still wouldn't be any cheaper to buy split tickets, as suggested in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.