• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Maybe a strange question, but as the staff aboard the sleepers are probably Scottish and work through the night, where and when do they sleep?

I'm guessing when the train is stabled at Wembley during the day they get a chance to get their heads down?

Strange question I know, but I'm just curious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Same as the Night Riviera crews, work one "up", stay in hotel and work the next nights down service. Not sure how Serco split it up, but by my understanding GWR count it as one shift from sign on to sign off, which has its obvious benefits.

phil1960

Maybe a strange question, but as the staff aboard the sleepers are probably Scottish and work through the night, where and when do they sleep?

I'm guessing when the train is stabled at Wembley during the day they get a chance to get their heads down?

Strange question I know, but I'm just curious.

Crews will have a hotel room for the day between turns, usually near the stations. They'll get breakfast on arrival and evening dinner before the train goes back. Usually two round trips (4 nights in a row usually with one "day" rest back in your own bed at home).

Phil

greatkingrat

Established Member
Do the crew of the Friday night up services work the Sunday night down services (with two days in a hotel) as there is no Saturday night train?

phil1960

Do the crew of the Friday night up services work the Sunday night down services (with two days in a hotel) as there is no Saturday night train?

This might of course change and be different working from a Scotland depot. But a while back got info about shift patterns for workings based at Euston. Over a 3-week pattern was:

Week 1:

Sun - RD
Mon - RD
Tue - To Scotland
Wed - From Scotland
Thur - To Scotland
Fri - From Scotland
Sat - RD

Week 2:

Sun - To Scotland
Mon - From Scotland
Tue - RD
Wed - RD
Thur - To Scotland
Fri - From Scotland
Sat - RD

Week 3:

Sun - To Scotland
Mon - From Scotland
Tue - To Scotland
Wed - From Scotland
Thur - RD
Fri - RD
Sat - RD

So every third week you'll always get a long weekend. And you'll always have Saturday night at home. For London crews, you rotate round all 5 destinations in Scotland.

Phil

teditedy

Hello,

All sound very good, wandered what is the salary for Sleeper host and how many days is the annual leave ?

Regards

jingsmonty

Hi, re this thread, are there any current Caledonian Sleeper hosts on here that can give an insight into the role? My Wife is hoping to join me on the railway as she is applying for a sleeper host job!
Thanks in advance

jingsmonty

Many thanks for that, it is the Inverness job that she is applying for..I am trying to find out as much as possible about the job for interview/etc.

Bodiddly

My Wife has applied for the Inverness post, here's hoping she will be joining me as a happy railway person....!

Good luck to her! They're a good bunch in Inverness and she'll enjoy the trips North and South with them.

jingsmonty

Good luck to her! They're a good bunch in Inverness and she'll enjoy the trips North and South with them.

Cheers for that, much appreciated! We've always enjoyed our trips on the sleeper and I met a few of the Fort William crew when I was working at my last depot, top folk!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.