• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

tsr

Established Member
1M11 held up the West Coast Mainline with interlock problems at Watford Junction for 15 minutes earlier today (London-bound, naturally, in the height of the morning peak).

The irony was that it had arrived there 2 minutes early after making up a quite impressive amount of lost time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
1M11 held up the West Coast Mainline with interlock problems at Watford Junction for 15 minutes earlier today (London-bound, naturally, in the height of the morning peak).

The irony was that it had arrived there 2 minutes early after making up a quite impressive amount of lost time.

Interlock problems seem to be the quite an issue. Presumably a CAF person on board fixed it pronto (unlike last week).

Kendalian

Looks like more problems tonight with the ECS moves.

Polmadie-Edinburgh now 46 late, looks like it was stuck at Carstairs.
Stock for the northbound Lowlander still not left Wembley according to RTT, should have left at 2106, still not left as at 22.27, anyone know what the problem is this time....nothing on CS Twitter yet

Has 1B01 also failed between Corrour and Rannoch? According to SR Twitter another train operators service has failed. Not shaping up to be a good night for Cal Sleeper

Kendalian

Has 1B01 also failed between Corrour and Rannoch? According to SR Twitter another train operators service has failed. Not shaping up to be a good night for Cal Sleeper

Scotrail just tweeted their service will be returning from Rannoch to Crianlarich to be replaced by a bus.
Sounds like a very lengthy wait at Corrour for the CS guests.

Lowlander stock still not left Wembley according to RTT.
Tonight looking like a meltdown for CS....on twitter they are silent....

**Update - they've just tweeted boarding will be delayed due to a technical fault with the loco.
No other info or idea on how long the delay will be or if the lounge will be kept open etc...serious trouble ahead tonight I fear.

Chrism20

Established Member
Not much happening here in Glasgow either.

It’s on the platform but that’s about it

Showing on other sites that 1B01 is stuck at Fersit Tunnel - Going to be a long night for those onboard. A fridays night as well, usually full both ways on the FTW. My guess is the 1M16 continues south minus FTW coaches and tomorrow mornings northbound will be cancelled.

diffident

Showing on other sites that 1B01 is stuck at Fersit Tunnel - Going to be a long night for those onboard. A fridays night as well, usually full both ways on the FTW. My guess is the 1M16 continues south minus FTW coaches and tomorrow mornings northbound will be cancelled.

CalSleeper have just announced that its cancelled and a rescue train is on its way.

"Fort William to Euston Service has been cancelled due to a loco failure between Corrour and Tulloch a rescue train is on its way but please be advised this service will be heavily delayed Caledonian Sleeper apologise for this disruption and for the inconvenience caused." - https://twitter.com/CalSleeper/status/1144736404020350976

Chrism20

Established Member
The Glasgow southbound could be next. There is about to be a rammy on the platform

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The black pudding sounds interesting. I hope mine is better tomorrow morning

The irony is that breakfast ingredients generally *are* reasonably microwaveable as none of them (unless you like burnt bacon) are actually crispy/crunchy. So you can make a decent "foodservice" full English (particularly if you make fresh scrambled egg, which can be done in a microwave - indeed, many people prefer to cook it that way).

However, if you don't spend a decent amount on it then it'll be garbage, and when I've had the Sleeper breakfast before, cheap garbage is exactly what it was.

Oh, and one of each item does not constitute a full English :D

Gonzoiku

The irony is that breakfast ingredients generally *are* reasonably microwaveable as none of them (unless you like burnt bacon) are actually crispy/crunchy. So you can make a decent "foodservice" full English (particularly if you make fresh scrambled egg, which can be done in a microwave - indeed, many people prefer to cook it that way).

However, if you don't spend a decent amount on it then it'll be garbage, and when I've had the Sleeper breakfast before, cheap garbage is exactly what it was.

Oh, and one of each item does not constitute a full English :D
The CS breakfast for a while after Serco took over was noticeably improved over the First ScotRail offering. Smoked salmon with decently microwaved scrambled egg. Ate the latter, stuffed the former into the bread roll to eat at leisure after the tray had been cleared. Two sachets of fancy instant coffee, good stuff too. But then the rolls disappeared, as well as the fancy coffee. And the scrambled egg reverted to type. Oh dear. Last I heard their catering contractor give CS the elbow before Christmas last year, they had had enough of bring constantly messed about. A bit like the passengers, methinks. At least, like this (ex) passenger. And that was over a year ago.

GZ

Single 73 and a rescue loco en-route up the WHL.

EUS northbound lowlander with issues, SB from Glasgow has lighting issues apparently and EDB arrived 36L and hasn't departed EDB yet...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The CS breakfast for a while after Serco took over was noticeably improved over the First ScotRail offering. Smoked salmon with decently microwaved scrambled egg. Ate the latter, stuffed the former into the bread roll to eat at leisure after the tray had been cleared.

That is something that grated. They've got all day to clean the train and wash up, there is no need to be collecting anything in before arrival. If the crew need to go on their break (which I'm sure they do), pay a couple of minimum wage cleaners to do it, the cost will be no more than two figures, and probably the lower end of that.

I was quite taken aback by being told I had to neck my coffee when we hadn't even passed MKC. That's just poor service.

As for coffee, there is no excuse for any kind of instant. It should be good quality filter as a minimum, or perhaps "mini cafetieres".

(Filter seems to be seeing a resurgence, with Costa having added it to their range quite recently)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I noticed on Friday 28 June a set of Mk V Sleeper coaches plus loco 92038 uncoupled facing Glasgow/Edinburgh in Platform 1 at Carlisle just after 09:00.

The exact same loco (and possibly the exact same coaches) was/were still there at around 21:35 when I was returning back to Glasgow after spending the day in Northern land on the newspaper offer.

Seen tweets saying Glasgow southbound now confirmed cancelled. Looks to be because of no power in the coaches.

Chrism20

Established Member
Seen tweets saying Glasgow southbound now confirmed cancelled. Looks to be because of no power in the coaches.

Definitely cancelled, I’m currently sitting in the central hotel.

Three crew members left to deal with this and very little information provided. What the poor guy is getting relayed to him from “control” is then being contradicted on twitter.

Waiting on buses just now.

Woman from virgin saying no acceptable, sleeper guy saying there is.

Some people being sent to the jury’s inn or a premier inn and told to come back at 4/5am.

All a bit of a mess

diffident

So to sum up CalSleeper's issues tonight at time of writing (correct me if this is wrong);

Southbound

• 1B01 ex-Fort William failed (engine) somewhere near Tulloch
  • 1B16 ex-Aberdeen ran no problem
  • 1M16 ex-Inverness ran no problem and is en-route to Euston at this time with only 1B16 attached
  • 1C11 ex-Edinburgh ran no problem and is currently at Carstairs awaiting 1M11
  • 1M11 ex-Glasgow failed (carriages) in the station and cancelled
Northbound

• 1S25 ex-Euston left 1L with no issues, currently at time of writing at Shap.
  • 1S26 ex-Euston left 64L (unknown issue, set late from depot), at time of writing, has been sat at Watford Junction for 30 minutes now.

Established Member
A 1Z99 is currently in the Dumbarton area heading to Corrour to rescue to Sleeper. The guests onboard will have an unpleasant surprise when they wake up!

Julian G

Established Member
So to sum up CalSleeper's issues tonight at time of writing (correct me if this is wrong);

Southbound

• 1C11 ex-Edinburgh ran no problem and is currently at Carstairs awaiting 1M11
  • 1M11 ex-Glasgow failed (carriages) in the station and cancelled
Seems a 92 ran light from Glasgow to Carstairs (0M11) which will take the Edinburgh portion only to London Euston.

Chrism20

Established Member
Currently on a coach with eight other people. The Edinburgh portion has just passed us at Elvanfoot or thereabouts.

The other passengers decided to go to the jury’s inn or a premier Inn for a few hours and then get a day train.

Lots of conflicting information given out and it didn’t help that people kept interrupting the poor guy as he was trying to explain what was happening.