• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swaldman

Nope. Sitting waiting on end for the run round is tedious whether in the sleeper lounge car, or berth.
I have fond memories of an ECML routing back in the Scotrail days. Sitting in one of those ancient lounge cars with a drink at Wembley, watching the surprise and confusion on other passengers' faces as we set off "backwards", then sipping a drink while trundling through all the life of Camden.

Bill57p9

The wait in Wembley for the run round takes the shine off the rare track, from my first hand experience!
It usually isn't even a run round: the sleeper is usually top & tailed between Wembley and Euston when diverted ECML.
Thanks - though I couldn't fully make sense of the route in the video. Was it in fact using the North London Incline?
Typically the diversion route is also via the closed Primrose Hill station (one of two routes from the North London Line to WCML)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
It usually isn't even a run round: the sleeper is usually top & tailed between Wembley and Euston when diverted ECML.

Typically the diversion route is also via the closed Primrose Hill station (one of two routes from the North London Line to WCML)

Ah - so a different route between Willesden Jn and Camden Road (staying on the WCML route most of the way, rather than all the way on the NLL, but still, then, via the North London Incline near StP.

Do they ever do anything more outlandish? Such as - after leaving Euston and reversing at Wembley - going via the NLL and the GOBLIN, and using the chord at Harringay to get onto the ECML?

zero

Ah - so a different route between Willesden Jn and Camden Road (staying on the WCML route most of the way, rather than all the way on the NLL, but still, then, via the North London Incline near StP.

Do they ever do anything more outlandish? Such as - after leaving Euston and reversing at Wembley - going via the NLL and the GOBLIN, and using the chord at Harringay to get onto the ECML?

Yes, occasionally (twice this year) they go Wembley Yard > High Level Goods line > Harlsden Junction > Up City line > Kensal Rise > Gospel Oak > Camden Road and then by the "usual" route to the ECML.

If you would like to travel on this route you have an opportunity on 9th June northbound and the highlander will even do it before it gets dark, if it keeps to time.

Class15

On Moderation
Yes, occasionally (twice this year) they go Wembley Yard > High Level Goods line > Harlsden Junction > Up City line > Kensal Rise > Gospel Oak > Camden Road and then by the "usual" route to the ECML.

If you would like to travel on this route you have an opportunity on 9th June northbound and the highlander will even do it before it gets dark, if it keeps to time.
Seems odd not to use the Harringay Curve given it’s the most direct route I would think?

Steve Harris

Seems odd not to use the Harringay Curve given it’s the most direct route I would think?
But only in one direction.

I don't think it can be used southbound without using Harringay viaduct and 2 reversals + I doubt if the reserving Sidings at that location are long enough anyway.

Davester50

That might well be now, but it was a run round when I was diverted on the southbound a good number of years ago.

Lancs

Sorry, but I think I know now what I was doing wrong.
The way I feel treated here reminds me of how I was treated aboard the train.

I had to explain the same incidence 3 times here.
And my lesson is - ..

This kind of hyper-sensitivity by rail staff is simply questionable in my eyes. This is my opinion. A sleeping car passenger dared to walk through the dining car during breakfast time.

In the UK it is apparently common sense that a passenger from a more premium cabin - standing between Car 3 and Car 4 right in front of a free toilet and a closed glass door - is being yelled away - and instead should have deduced himself to walk instead to Car 1 to the toilets.

Yes, train attendants in the US or Russia can behave in a very rough way. But with a 90% probability they would have allowed me to use the free toilet.
Not so on Caledonian Sleeper - no, the are insisting on policy, regardless of the fact that the toilets in the own Car 2 have not been working.

Why am I complaining to Scottish Rail Holdings ? Well, I want this policy changed.

After all the moaning about the toilet problems, I wonder how long this same person would spend on that problem in their Youtube video on the same subject, published yesterday?

Last edited:

Steve Harris

Oh I see, I thought the curve could be accessed from the Up lines but maybe not then!
Not according to the Sectional Appendix !

I actually require that piece of line and I'm resigned to never achieving it, as I'm not aware of any passenger trains using it.

Established Member
A vlogger?
That explains something...
Indeed.

And they even say in their YouTube comments that they have received a 25% refund from Caledonian Sleeper for the toilet/shower issues!

Don't get me started on their mood lighting names...

doc7austin

After all the moaning about the toilet problems, I wonder how long this same person would spend on that problem in their Youtube video on the same subject, published yesterday?
And how much time was spend on it ?

And they even say in their YouTube comments that they have received a 25% refund from Caledonian Sleeper for the toilet/shower issues!
Well, as I wrote before, I would like to know - foremost - if this policy really exists.

A vlogger?
That explains something...
And what exactly ?

Was there any clickbaiting in the video - or did I publish that video here ?

doc7austin

Don't get me started on their mood lighting names...
Yes, it's called Brexie. Well, we have a different taste in humour.

Why? You didn't have a ticket for that section.
The metaphorical "rope" works both ways.
... while it appeared that all the toilets in my car have stopped working.
And the Club Car doesn't have a toilet, as well.

Last edited:

Davester50

... while it appeared that all the toilets in my car have stopped working.
And the Club Car doesn't have a toilet, as well.
And the other sleeping car?
You did ask, didn't you, before striding through the train to somewhere you weren't ticketed for?

Davester50

And there lies the problem. You didn't seek anyone, press the attendant button, zilch.
All comes over as Do You Know Who I Am with a double berth ticket.

jagardner1984

Awaiting tonight’s Highlander for which admittedly boarding is 15 minutes briefer than normal due to the early departure / diverts.

Nonetheless, I’m amongst 100+ passengers that I’ve just counted who do not make the cut for the CS lounge, including many with very young children, seated on luggage, each other, bollards, steps, any available surface near Platform 1 whilst occasionally staff try to wade through with sacks of rubbish, and occasionally pigeons dive bomb past to drop by.

I actually think this shouldn’t matter if you are on a £10 West Midlands advance or a £250 Classic CS booking - it shouldn’t matter, somewhere warm, dry and safe to wait with your luggage and your young kids half an hour before boarding your super long distance train is really not an unreasonable ask.

Since it is quite obvious how many around me are visitors to our country, frankly, it is an embarrassing way to welcome people here.

Amongst broader questions about comfort in UK rail - it seems to me going forward, whilst it can never compete with Ryanair on price or in most instances on speed, the “quality” or journey, be it rolling stock comfort, station facilities or quality of onboard services (WiFi, catering etc) - should be the easiest thing to improve over time.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I actually think this shouldn’t matter if you are on a £10 West Midlands advance or a £250 Classic CS booking - it shouldn’t matter, somewhere warm, dry and safe to wait with your luggage and your young kids half an hour before boarding your super long distance train is really not an unreasonable ask.
There are numerous other waiting areas at Euston which don't involve standing at the end of platform 1, in particular the waiting room near the ramp to platforms 12 to 15, and the mezzanine on the other side of the concourse.

I very much agree that holding passengers at the entry to platform 1 in a standing queue is not a great preparation for the journey.

jagardner1984

There are numerous other waiting areas at Euston which don't involve standing at the end of platform 1, in particular the waiting room near the ramp to platforms 12 to 15, and the mezzanine on the other side of the concourse.

I very much agree that holding passengers at the entry to platform 1 in a standing queue is not a great preparation for the journey.
Indeed - it is perhaps a reflection on the quality, signposting, availability, cost of accessing some of those available spaces that it would appear the majority of the train load have not made use of them.

To be clear, this real isn’t another CS moan from me, im a big user and advocate of the service (when budget allows) and I’m happy to wait for a wee wait on my feet here.

I was more reflecting on the more vocal response of some of the young children / babies around me. To be honest, I can’t blame them.

There are definitely better ways of doing this.

Tezza1978

While what you say is 100% true, the waiting facilities at Euston are totally inadequate for the number of people who wait for trains there.

While seasoned business/leisure travellers like myself know there are decent options locally (various pubs, several coffee shops and eateries nearby) the options in the station to sit down/grab a drink or a bite to eat are not good enough and/or do not have enough capacity for those wishing to use them. In particular the number of seating areas in the concourse for those who may not want to spend £50 on food /drinks for a family of 4 for example are ridiculously small.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
While what you say is 100% true, the waiting facilities at Euston are totally inadequate for the number of people who wait for trains there.
In particular the number of seating areas in the concourse for those who may not want to spend £50 on food /drinks for a family of 4 for example are ridiculously small.
.........and most ofm them ae upstairs which is a pain if you have people in buggies or wheelchairs, or lots of luggage - even if the lift is working.

jagardner1984

One quick question on the topic of unusual track and the sleeper - some lost time last night because of a coach fault on the Fort William (Coach E - fully cancelled) which they have largely caught up.

Took the Falkirk High route to save some minutes which made me think - how many if any passenger trains regularly take the North West chord of the Cowlairs triangle (between Ashfield and Eastfield depot)

Can’t think of many others.

Interesting experience on some of these less used sections - the ferocity with which the vegetation batters the sides of the train makes you wonder how much of the vinyl will be left by the time it reaches Fort William !

D6130

Established Member
One quick question on the topic of unusual track and the sleeper - some lost time last night because of a coach fault on the Fort William (Coach E - fully cancelled) which they have largely caught up.

Took the Falkirk High route to save some minutes which made me think - how many if any passenger trains regularly take the North West chord of the Cowlairs triangle (between Ashfield and Eastfield depot)

Can’t think of many others.

Interesting experience on some of these less used sections - the ferocity with which the vegetation batters the sides of the train makes you wonder how much of the vinyl will be left by the time it reaches Fort William !
I would imagine that said vegetation might give some passengers an unexpected and unwanted early wakeup call. :'(

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I would imagine that said vegetation might give some passengers an unexpected and unwanted early wakeup call. :'(
Had similar thoughts when on a Voyager diverted between Cheter and Crewe via Middlewich which, despite the tilt-friendly narrow profile, was flailed by a lot of vegetation.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Awaiting tonight’s Highlander for which admittedly boarding is 15 minutes briefer than normal due to the early departure / diverts.

Nonetheless, I’m amongst 100+ passengers that I’ve just counted who do not make the cut for the CS lounge, including many with very young children, seated on luggage, each other, bollards, steps, any available surface near Platform 1 whilst occasionally staff try to wade through with sacks of rubbish, and occasionally pigeons dive bomb past to drop by.

Since it is quite obvious how many around me are visitors to our country, frankly, it is an embarrassing way to welcome people here.

Amongst broader questions about comfort in UK rail - it seems to me going forward, whilst it can never compete with Ryanair on price or in most instances on speed, the “quality” or journey, be it rolling stock comfort, station facilities or quality of onboard services (WiFi, catering etc) - should be the easiest thing to improve over time.
Personally, if I were travelling abroad I'd weigh up the options on price and what each one does or doesn't include. These people know they've not paid for the lounge. They're not surprised. They're not annoyed. They know what they've purchased.

Meerkat

Established Member
Personally, if I were travelling abroad I'd weigh up the options on price and what each one does or doesn't include. These people know they've not paid for the lounge. They're not surprised. They're not annoyed. They know what they've purchased.
Do they know they haven’t paid for a waiting room, and will have to sit on a platform?
I think not