• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

gingerheid

Established Member
I saw someone off to fort William a couple of weeks ago, who then reported they'd had the best night's sleep they ever managed on the sleeper. That's including several years travel on the old stock...so experiences differ.

My experience too. The new stock isn't without flaw for sure, but I feel people would be very delighted with it if they hadn't come up with the ridiculous hotel on wheels marketing line, and the customer surveys that invite you to compare it to hotel chains. It's not a hotel on wheels; it's 'merely' a very excellent sleeper train.

It's a shame that they're trapped into offering a certain quite low capacity by circumstances such as the uniqueness of the operation and rolling stock, capacity in London, and the possible short lifespan of the lowland services after HS2. It's likely that the only way they could drop prices would be by adding extra capacity and trying to fill more trains each night, and while I believe it's likely they could do it I can certainly see why nobody would want to fund such a gamble!

I hope that, if HS2 does supersede the lowland services, they keep the stock in Scotland and try to develop new destinations like Oban, Kyle, and the far north.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

popeter45

i will miss the lowlander if it goes post HS2
the convenience of it when i need to be in Glasgow for a 9am start and dont want to be either need to try find my way to Euston at 5am or getting a hotel the night before and waste a good portion of the previous day traveling

6Z09

I am bewildered that anybody thinks HS2 will be any benefit to Scotland any time soon, if ever!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I am bewildered that anybody thinks HS2 will be any benefit to Scotland any time soon, if ever!

Why? Knocking the best part of an hour off the day train journey time, and more trains, is surely a benefit?

6Z09

When is it ever going to happen?
Never going to be a direct link to Scotland, still arguing if it will even get to Leeds.
Is there any detail as to where it will go,and by when?

Essexman

Established Member
I've been sent two surveys to fill in after my journey on Thursday night.
Good to see that CS are asking for passenger feedback. Lets hope they act on it.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When is it ever going to happen?
Never going to be a direct link to Scotland, still arguing if it will even get to Leeds.
Is there any detail as to where it will go,and by when?

The 3h40 timing happens when phase 2b is built to Golborne Jn. That’s the section that Government have committed to introducing a bill for.

williamn

Any intel on the likely effect on the strikes? Should I be cancelling my sleeper ticket now and rebooking on the day train? (Travelling Tuesday 15th)

MrEd

Any intel on the likely effect on the strikes? Should I be cancelling my sleeper ticket now and rebooking on the day train? (Travelling Tuesday 15th)
If the 15th is a strike day (as I believe it is), I would not expect any Caledonian Sleeper services to run that night. If some staff members decide against the strike action/CS can find contingency staff (remember that the service will need a train manager and at least a couple of hosts), they will probably run a skeleton service- this is likely just to be the Edinburgh portion of the Lowlander so that passengers can at least get north; I doubt any other destinations will be served.

I would assume, though, that absolutely nothing operated by CS will run; you are best advised to find another method of travelling north.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Is the strike all of that week or just set certain days? I'm in the process of trying to plan a trip South and back again and having just gone out and back by daytime train for the first time since the pandemic over the course of the bank holiday weekend I'm desperate to find any alternative as I was seriously bored and and didn't feel I've received particularly good value for money either. I had long since gone off using the day train Prix coronavirus but thought it would only be fair to give it another go. The day train still doesn't convince me

BRX

Established Member
I'm in similar position, supposed to be traveling 25th. It seems the best hope is that CS and RMT can come to some agreement that results in the strike being called off but I have no idea how likely that is. I've had an email from CS that basically just says wait for further info. I could rebook now for a couple of days later but it would be at an increased price... which seems unfair. I've not yet tried asking directly whether they agree to move the booking at no extra cost.

Is the strike all of that week or just set certain days?
All of two weeks I think.

CW2

Established Member
I made a trip from Inverness to Euston a month ago, in "Club Solo". On the day of the journey I received a text advising me there was no hot water in my shower, and that therefore Caledonian Sleeper would automatically refund 30% of my fare. There was a slight snag in that I'd purchased the tickets over the counter at Chester station, so Caledonian Sleepers had no record of my Credit Card details onto which to refund me, so it wasn't until I saw my credit card statement and realised there was no sign of the refund that I got back onto them. All credit (no pun intended) to their Customer Service centre staff, they were very helpful, and the refund has now been processed.
So I didn't get my sleeper shower, but I did get to travel in Club Solo at a bargain rate.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Still amazed at the number of times things like this are happening.

Apologies if it's already been asked before but what are the actual start and finish dates of the proposed strike and what are they striking about this time?

crossani

Apologies if it's already been asked before but what are the actual start and finish dates of the proposed strike and what are they striking about this time?
According to their website all services from Tuesday June 15th to Saturday June 26th inclusive.

Although even that's not clear. Presumably it includes arrivals on the morning of Saturday 26th (as they don't run services on Saturday evenings). But if it includes arrivals that day, does it also include services arriving on the morning of Tuesday 15th (so leaving on Monday 14th)?

My concern is whether there will be disruption to services restarting on Sunday 27th due to trains or crew being in the wrong place? I'm supposed to be going from Glasgow to Euston that evening. I've already had to postpone once as Glasgow was still in Level 3 when I was due to travel.

alistairlees

Established Member
According to their website all services from Tuesday June 15th to Saturday June 26th inclusive.

Although even that's not clear. Presumably it includes arrivals on the morning of Saturday 26th (as they don't run services on Saturday evenings). But if it includes arrivals that day, does it also include services arriving on the morning of Tuesday 15th (so leaving on Monday 14th)?

My concern is whether there will be disruption to services restarting on Sunday 27th due to trains or crew being in the wrong place? I'm supposed to be going from Glasgow to Euston that evening. I've already had to postpone once as Glasgow was still in Level 3 when I was due to travel.
It means from Tuesday night to Saturday morning.

peteb

Still wondering if top bunk deployed someones dirty boots will tread on lower bunk? Also comparing CS to premier inn is unfair on premier inn, as they offer a full refund if you don't get a good night's sleep! I doubt CS will offer a refund if you had a bad night?

andbrads

I believe it surrounds a pay freeze when they expected a pay rise due to working in pandemic etc.
The link to the RMT site detailing this is here
Is the reopening of the Club Car related to the strike action as there is no logic for it not being open otherwise?

Essexman

Established Member
I saw someone off to fort William a couple of weeks ago, who then reported they'd had the best night's sleep they ever managed on the sleeper. That's including several years travel on the old stock...so experiences differ.

I know it's been said before, but the best night's sleep I get on the sleeper (new or old stock) are after travelling on the sleeper the night before.
Even if I think I've slept well I'm always more tired following the sleeper than after a night in a normal bed.

AberdeenBill

I made a trip from Inverness to Euston a month ago, in "Club Solo". On the day of the journey I received a text advising me there was no hot water in my shower, and that therefore Caledonian Sleeper would automatically refund 30% of my fare. There was a slight snag in that I'd purchased the tickets over the counter at Chester station, so Caledonian Sleepers had no record of my Credit Card details onto which to refund me, so it wasn't until I saw my credit card statement and realised there was no sign of the refund that I got back onto them. All credit (no pun intended) to their Customer Service centre staff, they were very helpful, and the refund has now been processed.
So I didn't get my sleeper shower, but I did get to travel in Club Solo at a bargain rate.
On a recent trip from Euston to Aberdeen i was upgraded from the classic I had booked to a Club due to the fact that there was no water (or maybe it was hot water) in my original room. It was good to experience the Club as not walking the corridor in the middle of the night to use the toilet was very convenient and i may consider paying the premium on future bookings. However on using the shower in the morning the water in this room was also freezing cold, although i was in no position to complain and still grateful for the upgrade.

snakeeyes

The Fort William portion has just arrived into Fortwilliam at 10:24 this morning, and instantly it was being refilled with water, why the rush?

williamn

Just rebooked myself onto the 14th June train rather than the 15th to avoid the strike. Noticed that the option to choose your own cabin was no longer there - is that a permanent change?

geoffk

Established Member
I believe it surrounds a pay freeze when they expected a pay rise due to working in pandemic etc.
The link to the RMT site detailing this is here
I wonder who else has had a pay rise for working during the pandemic! Many are lucky still to have a job.

Carlisle

Established Member
The Fort William portion has just arrived into Fortwilliam at 10:24 this morning, and instantly it was being refilled with water, why the rush?
Presumably the sooner those daily chores are complete, the quicker it can be shunted out of the way.

island

Veteran Member

The union notice is clearer – members will not book on for shifts commencing between 1159 Tuesday 15th and 1159 Saturday 26th.

Monday night the 14th’s departures will be normal. There will be no services departing on on Friday night the 25th.

Steve Harris

I wonder who else has had a pay rise for working during the pandemic! Many are lucky still to have a job.
Indeed. Covid has been nasty to everyone (jobs and health).
However, Covid hasn't put the brakes on Council Tax, Food, Fuel bills etc increasing. I'm sure your aware that by not getting a annual pay rise you would actually be taking a pay cut (as your disposable income would be less).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
However, Covid hasn't put the brakes on Council Tax, Food, Fuel bills etc increasing. I'm sure your aware that by not getting a annual pay rise you would actually be taking a pay cut (as your disposable income would be less).

Slightly off topic, but for many people food / fuel bills etc fell substantially during the past year, and only now is beginning to get back to wherever it was pre Covid.

haggishunter

Is there any word on ‘daytime’ passengers on the sleeper, particularly the West Highland Line?

It’s not as if there an abundance of services to Fort William, and how does not having one of the four journeys available help social distancing?

It also has impacts on outdoor activities to/from remote stations, and makes a day trip for hill walking much more limited in duration.