• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

gordonjahn

60021 hauled 1S25 Northbound Highlander during the night from Warrington to Preston due to overhead wire issues.
Can't say I've heard of a 60 on the full length train in a while - that can't supply ETS power for load 16, can it?

I guess Warrington to Preston is fairly short... does the TMS run on batteries for that time or is it just assumed that people aren't using showers etc in the middle of the night and the ETS supply won't be overloaded?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

Can't say I've heard of a 60 on the full length train in a while - that can't supply ETS power for load 16, can it?

I guess Warrington to Preston is fairly short... does the TMS run on batteries for that time or is it just assumed that people aren't using showers etc in the middle of the night and the ETS supply won't be overloaded?

A 60 can't supply ETS. The train would've ran on batteries, which it can do for 90 minutes.

Bill57p9

Things like the showers only work when ETS is connected.
This has been known to cause complaint at the likes of Edinburgh when the Lowlander arrives and the ETS is disconnected for the 92 to run around, which is far from the middle of the night. The same will be true during the Highlander splitting & joining.

Leisurefirst

Still waiting on Euston concourse for the Lowlander.
Driver caught up in the WCML disruption apparently.
Just left at 01.14.
What are the chances of making up the delay from 23.50?
Need to connect at Queen Street for 08.21 to Oban or else 4 hour wait.

Last edited:

Flying Snail

Established Member
Just left at 01.14.
What are the chances of making up the delay from 23.50?
Need to connect at Queen Street for 08.21 to Oban or else 4 hour wait.

With the amount of slack in CS timetable there is a reasonably good chance of making that I'd say.

If you miss it there is a Citylink coach to Oban at 10.10 if you want to spend some of your delay repay.

Leisurefirst

With the amount of slack in CS timetable there is a reasonably good chance of making that I'd say.

If you miss it there is a Citylink coach to Oban at 10.10 if you want to spend some of your delay repay.
Thank you.
The onboard host thinks we should make up at least enough as normally sits for 50mins at Preston.

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you.
The onboard host thinks we should make up at least enough as normally sits for 50mins at Preston.
Only 11 minutes booked at Preston.
Just under 1h late at Penrith (was more like 20m late before Penrith).
Some scope for recovery at Carstairs, 25 minute stop booked, depending on how long it takes to split the set.
Going to be around 8am into Glasgow Central I guess.

Only 11 minutes booked at Preston.
Just under 1h late at Penrith (was more like 20m late before Penrith).
Some scope for recovery at Carstairs, 25 minute stop booked, depending on how long it takes to split the set.
Going to be around 8am into Glasgow Central I guess.
RTT predicting a 0743 arrival. Assuming no time wasted at Carlisle.

jfollows

Established Member
RTT predicting a 0743 arrival. Assuming no time wasted at Carlisle.
The RTT prediction is based on a 1 minute stop at Carstairs, which isn't going to happen.
Train hasn't left Carlisle either, now more than 1h10m late.
EDIT RTT does a good job with predicting times, but it's not to be taken too literally, such as when there needs to be an extended station stop at Carstairs to split off the Edinburgh portion.

The RTT prediction is based on a 1 minute stop at Carstairs, which isn't going to happen.
Train hasn't left Carlisle either, now more than 1h10m late.
EDIT RTT does a good job with predicting times, but it's not to be taken too literally, such as when there needs to be an extended station stop at Carstairs to split off the Edinburgh portion.
Considering that it has been stopped at Carlisle for the last 30+ minutes it's not looking good.

The Carstairs split can be achieved quite quickly with the Glasgow portion. So perhaps some hope yet. However it needs to leave Carlisle soon for Amy hope of arriving around 0800 in Glasgow.

Leisurefirst

Thank you.
Oh joy, we got down to being only 19 minutes late by before Oxenholme and now we're over 90 minutes late due to long waits at Penrith & Carlisle where we are still stuck at 06.41.
Says on CS about automatic Delay Repay.
Assume I have to put a seperate claim in with them for the Queen Street to Oban part?
(Am going to have to claim for the return portion next week back from Scotrail too as that is not running due to the strikes.)

Oh joy, we got down to being only 19 minutes late by before Oxenholme and now we're over 90 minutes late due to long waits at Penrith & Carlisle where we are still stuck at 06.41.
Assume I have to put a seperate claim in with them for the Queen Street to Oban part?
(Am going to have to claim for the return portion next week back from Scotrail too as that is not running due to the strikes.)
Should all be covered by CS. Certainly no chance of sleepers running next week during the strikes. Unless it gets settled before then.

jfollows

Established Member

Will I be compensated automatically?​

If you booked a ticket to travel on a Caledonian Sleeper service through our website or Guest Service Centre then you’re covered by our Automatic Delay Repay scheme.

You’re eligible for Automated Delay Repay if:

• You booked a ticket directly from sleeper.scot or via our Guest Service Centre.
  • You travelled on a journey that was delayed.

What happens next?​

If you’re delayed by 30 minutes or more we’ll process a claim for you automatically within 24 hours of your journey. We’ll then drop you an email asking you to confirm the details of your journey. Once you’ve confirmed your journey we’ll process your payment.

1S26 130 minutes late leaving Carlisle (07:21), will be after 9am into Glasgow Central for sure.
Leisurely breakfast, bit of shopping, wander to Queen Street for the 12:22 to Oban ......

Last edited:

Should all be covered by CS. Certainly no chance of sleepers running next week during the strikes. Unless it gets settled before then.
Now expected at Glasgow 0859. So time to catch the 1010 bus if you're in a hurry. Or take your chances with the 1220 train actually running later. It's a temporary timetable for now, with no actual guarantee of trains running.

jfollows

Established Member
It's going to arrive in Glasgow a lot later than 9am, there is now a problem at Lockerbie in front and 1S26 is stopped at Kirtlebridge. Presumably to allow it to go over the down up line to Lockerbie if necessary, and if the appropriate measures are implemented. Will cut down the waiting time in Glasgow for the Oban train though.

My guess is that 1S55 (silly obfuscated headcode 120Y) 19:16 Willesden-Shieldmuir class 325 has failed before Lockerbie (at about 01:30am) and is currently being rescued, probably into the down loop. Which is also why 1S26 was held at Carlisle for so long, no point sending it earlier to wait longer in the middle of nowhere ......

I would also guess that 1S26 will be able to use the down line normally once 1S55 is out of the way, but it's being held back at Kirtlebridge just in case it needs to cross to the up line.

Last edited:

It's going to arrive in Glasgow a lot later than 9am, there is now a problem at Lockerbie in front and 1S26 is stopped at Kirtlebridge. Presumably to allow it to go over the down up line to Lockerbie if necessary, and if the appropriate measures are implemented. Will cut down the waiting time in Glasgow for the Oban train though.

My guess is that 1S55 (silly obfuscated headcode 120Y) 19:16 Willesden-Shieldmuir class 325 has failed before Lockerbie and is currently being rescued, probably into the down loop. Which is also why 1S26 was held at Carlisle for so long, no point sending it earlier to wait longer in the middle of nowhere ......

I would also guess that 1S26 will be able to use the down line normally once 1S55 is out of the way, but it's being held back at Kirtlebridge just in case it needs to cross to the up line.
The Highland sleeper has now arrived at Edinburgh.

jfollows

Established Member
The Highland sleeper has now arrived at Edinburgh.
Again, I'm guessing in part, but it will have also been delayed by 1S55 at Lockerbie, and probably did have to go around it on the up line earlier this morning.
1S26 on the move again, down line at 08:07, now 162m late.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
1S55 has arrived at Shieldmuir.
Yes, Open Train Times has changed to 1S96 at Lockerbie which is the 16:18 Willesden-Shieldmuir class 325 working. (I think I reverse-engineered the 120Y silly headcode back into the wrong train, it looks like it's 1S96 in real life that failed and not 1S55.)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Now expected at Glasgow 0859. So time to catch the 1010 bus if you're in a hurry. Or take your chances with the 1220 train actually running later. It's a temporary timetable for now, with no actual guarantee of trains running.
To be fair to Scotrail, I've been traveling around the network for the past 8 days and have only had one cancellation due to a broken down 156.
If a temporary reduced timetable means things are more reliable then I'm all for it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So the Highland has been delayed by a broken down mail train in the Lockerbie area?

Must admit when I saw the Caledonian Sleeper in Edinburgh just now I had assumed it was the Lowland portion shortly after arrival not the Highland mid-journey :lol:

I see the Inverness and Aberdeen portions have now departed (241 and 240 down respectively) but no sign of the Fort William, have they cancelled that?

Leisurefirst

1S26 130 minutes late leaving Carlisle (07:21), will be after 9am into Glasgow Central for sure.
Leisurely breakfast, bit of shopping, wander to Queen Street for the 12:22 to Oban ......
Exactly that!

Cheers, sorry should have been clearer.
Oban to QS next week to refund due to strikes.
Not returning on Sleeper.

Hopefully the 1220 should run as the 1020ish one is cancelled on the temp timetable.
Just concerned about how full it will be as I am travelling with somebody who cannot stand.

jfollows

Established Member
It was indeed 1S96 that failed, and thanks to the utter nonsense of there being, still, no bi-di signalling on that part of the WCML, staff had to be called out for Single Line Working.
It's only fortunate that at least there's still a facing crossover at Kirtlebridge dating back at least to the 1974 electrification work, but - as you say - it still requires all the hassle of single line working.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah looks like they're still shunting the Fort William around from a glance at Traksy.

Exactly that!

Hopefully the 1220 should run as the 1020ish one is cancelled on the temp timetable.
Just concerned about how full it will be as I am travel
Exactly that!

Just concerned about how full it will be as I am travelling with somebody who cannot stand.
Safe to say there are no planned trains North of Glasgow or Edinburgh on strike Days. Monday, Wednesday and Friday probably OK.

mebody who cannot stand.

jfollows

Established Member
1S26 managed to reduce the Carstairs stop to 10 minutes (from 25 booked), so it's now only 136 minutes late for an arrival into Glasgow Central around 09:30.

So the Highland has been delayed by a broken down mail train in the Lockerbie area?
1S96 16:18 Willesden-Shieldmuir as confirmed by Falcon1200, which failed on the down line before Lockerbie and so the Highland sleeper eventually passed it on the up line once single line working was implemented.
1S26, the Lowland sleeper, was held for an hour in Carlisle before heading to Lockerbie and being held for another 30 minutes whilst 1S96 was moved out of the way, so 1S26 didn't use single line working over the up line (by that time it was probably starting to get too busy with up trains).

EDIT And 1S96 showing as on the move northbound again through Abington at 09:30, presumably being dragged by something else. (Ending up in Mossend No 2 Down Reception line.)

Last edited: