• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For discussion of the decision to terminate the Serco CS contract, please use this thread:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Had my first trip on the CS last week to Corrour and it was generally great. However, I was surprised and disappointed that my dog wasn't allowed in the day coach. I know they're not allowed in the restaurant car but their approach is at odds with National Rails website. It seems ridiculous when dogs can travel with owners in seated areas on evey other train in the UK. Can anyone clarify for me please ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Had my first trip on the CS last week to Corrour and it was generally great. However, I was surprised and disappointed that my dog wasn't allowed in the day coach. I know they're not allowed in the restaurant car but their approach is at odds with National Rails website. It seems ridiculous when dogs can travel with owners in seated areas on evey other train in the UK. Can anyone clarify for me please ?

It's to me because dogs might cause a nuisance overnight while their owner is sleeping. The whole seated coach is a quiet coach with far more weight put on that than a usual quiet coach. You're allowed to book one into a cabin where the closed door ensures it won't bother anyone else.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also there is only one seated coach per portion and some passengers may have allergies; perhaps that is something to do with it? On a regular train it would normally be possible to go to another coach.

It's to me because dogs might cause a nuisance overnight while their owner is sleeping. The whole seated coach is a quiet coach with far more weight put on that than a usual quiet coach. You're allowed to book one into a cabin where the closed door ensures it won't bother anyone else.
Fair enough during the nighttime. I was thinking of the morning actually. Ironically we had to travel in the seated coach for a while anyway due to the short platform at Corrour.
I suppose that also means anyone wanting to board from Edinburgh onwards can’t travel with a dog.

Davester50

Fair enough during the nighttime. I was thinking of the morning actually. Ironically we had to travel in the seated coach for a while anyway due to the short platform at Corrour.
I suppose that also means anyone wanting to board from Edinburgh onwards can’t travel with a dog.

People are still sleeping (or at least trying to) from Edinburgh onwards though. It's still their night time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know we’ve got multiple threads going at the moment so it can be quite easy to post in the wrong one, but there’s a thread here for the speculative side of things:

VideozVideoz

I guess this is common? I’ve rarely travelled on the sleeper. Running late so missing stops unless requested.

On a separate topic, a man has been chatting on his phone for an hour and it’s 8am now. This is not a normal commuter service into London / Brum / Manc etc so would you agree the etiquette on the sleeper should be to go into the vestibule?

Attachments

• C2A58631-17F3-4288-A828-9618EB15FE66.jpeg
    C2A58631-17F3-4288-A828-9618EB15FE66.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208

route101

Established Member
I guess this is common? I’ve rarely travelled on the sleeper. Running late so missing stops unless requested.

On a separate topic, a man has been chatting on his phone for an hour and it’s 8am now. This is not a normal commuter service into London / Brum / Manc etc so would you agree the etiquette on the sleeper should be to go into the vestibule?
Get this all the time on overnight services especially the coach ones. Usually, they are not loud but it's a constant conservation that goes on and on. I do wonder who they are talking to in the wee hours.

Essexman

Established Member
I’m on the Southbound Highlander from Inverness tonight. Still in the platform due to problem with the locomotive. I don’t suppose there’s a spare up here. There’s a 67 & 73. Can it run with just one of the locos working? Any idea what happens if they can’t sort it?

I’m on the Southbound Highlander from Inverness tonight. Still in the platform due to problem with the locomotive. I don’t suppose there’s a spare up here. There’s a 67 & 73. Can it run with just one of the locos working? Any idea what happens if they can’t sort it?
May have the answer. Apparently they’re taking off the faulty loco and we’re running with one. Don’t know which one though.

Last edited:

JModulo

May have the answer. Apparently they’re taking off the faulty loco and we’re running with one. Don’t know which one though.
The 67. It only can be that too, or the train can't run.

CW2

Established Member
Realtime Trains is showing it 62 minutes late from Inverness, 73971 solo on load 8. Place your bets ...

Essexman

Established Member
We’ve come to a halt. Wheels seemed to be slipping. We were only about ten minutes out from Inverness.
Where is 66724?

Essexman

Established Member
You know more than the Train Manager then. He said it is adhesion problems and they’re looking around for another locomotive and he’ll make an announcement when they know.
I’m not in a hurry fortunately.

They’ve just announced we’re going back to Inverness and train will be hotel there. Presumably we’ll be on the chieftain tomorrow.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
67023 doesn't appear to have had a very good first day as the primary traction on the Inverness sleeper then. (I appreciate it did one day earlier in the year and has done a few runs to Aberdeen recently.)

CW2

Established Member
Expecting a single 73 to take load 8 south from Inverness in the leaf fall season might politely be termed "optimistic". Some other phrases also spring to mind.

Anybody expecting an arrival in Euston this side of midday may be in for some disappointment (unless they throw everybody off at Edinburgh and send them south on the first daytime service).

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Essexman

Established Member
Expecting a single 73 to take load 8 south from Inverness in the leaf fall season might politely be termed "optimistic". Some other phrases also spring to mind.

Anybody expecting an arrival in Euston this side of midday may be in for some disappointment (unless they throw everybody off at Edinburgh and send them south on the first daytime service).
Unfortunately we’re not going to get to London at all. Night to be spent in the platform at Inverness.

Essexman

Established Member
One wonders where people boarding at intermediate stations (to the extent they aren't travelling from home) spend the night.

I thought of joining at Kingussie tonight. Very glad I didn’t.

For the sake of northbound trains and switching the loco to the other end, it’s fortunate that we came to a stand on a double track section.

D6130

Established Member
Presumably, as the class 66 can't couple to Mark 5 stock, the Thunderbird loco will have to come wrong line onto the front of the train; haul it Southbound to Moy loop; run-around both locos separately and then haul it back to Inverness....or is there still a worked crossover at Culloden Moor?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I was of the understanding that it had to be the full train that went to Euston due to it needing certain coaches in the formation, but that might just be conjecture or me mis-remembering something I’ve read on here.
So long as there is a seated coach, the train can run. 8-coach trains have run from time to time due to failure of a portion. The combined Aberdeen / Fort William portion should run to Euston.

What may happen tomorrow is that tonight's northbound Edinburgh portion runs empty from Polmadie to Euston and the portion of the train currently stuck at Inverness runs to Polmadie (or some other combination). Otherwise, tomorrow night's northbound Edinburgh portion from London will be cancelled.

Essexman

Established Member
So long as there is a seated coach, the train can run. 8-coach trains have run from time to time due to failure of a portion. The combined Aberdeen / Fort William portion should run to Euston.

What may happen tomorrow is that tonight's northbound Edinburgh portion runs empty from Polmadie to Euston and the portion of the train currently stuck at Inverness runs to Polmadie (or some other combination). Otherwise, tomorrow night's northbound Edinburgh portion from London will be cancelled.
Train manager has just announced change of plan. New loco arriving to take us back to Inverness shortly. Then we’re running non stop to Edinburgh and on to Euston. Expect to arrive about 11am.