• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve always found that a berth is the same price no matter the journey length, so I’d just buy two tickets from London and start short with one of them.

*I have mainly travelled solo though on CS and the one time as a pair we started together. Of course, things may have changed too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One option is for you to book a single then for your son to join you unannounced on the day; they allow this on payment of a £50 supplement, no railcard discount. (I did this from the same station, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow it from a layer station.)

The other option would just be to ask them by email (or Twitter DM).

A third option would just be to book for two from Euston and tell them on the day he's joining at Crewe. It'd only be an actual issue if it was diverted away from Crewe (so you'd want to check the stop is there on that day!) - and if it was he may well want to grab a cheapo LNR single and join you at Euston anyway.

Indeed if a very cheap LNR Advance is found he may choose to join you at Euston anyway? I think they can be as low as a tenner.

I don't think the fares differ, or if they do it's not substantial.

AberdeenBill

A third option would just be to book for two from Euston and tell them on the day he's joining at Crewe. It'd only be an actual issue if it was diverted away from Crewe (so you'd want to check the stop is there on that day!) - and if it was he may well want to grab a cheapo LNR single and join you at Euston anyway.

Indeed if a very cheap LNR Advance is found he may choose to join you at Euston anyway? I think they can be as low as a tenner.

I don't think the fares differ, or if they do it's not substantial.
Thanks for all the answers on this which is most useful. I was thinking of just booking for 2 from Euston and him joining me in the room at Crewe, but as you say, it might be diverted on short notice or he might have difficulty accessing the platform at that late hour. On reflection, as the train doesnt leave Euston until 21:15, it may be easier for him to travel down to Euston after his work then we can make a better night of it on the train from there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the answers on this which is most useful. I was thinking of just booking for 2 from Euston and him joining me in the room at Crewe, but as you say, it might be diverted on short notice or he might have difficulty accessing the platform at that late hour. On reflection, as the train doesnt leave Euston until 21:15, it may be easier for him to travel down to Euston after his work then we can make a better night of it on the train from there.

I didn't think of getting on the platform, but indeed Crewe is gated. I suppose you could send him a copy of the e-ticket. Gates probably aren't closed that time of night though.

alistairlees

Established Member
You should buy a Twin room ticket from London, no matter where your son is joining you. Then just let CS know if he's getting on at Crewe.

Gaelan

Isn't this strictly invalid? CS sleeper tickets appear to be advances with the standard "no break of journey" restriction.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I didn't think of getting on the platform, but indeed Crewe is gated. I suppose you could send him a copy of the e-ticket. Gates probably aren't closed that time of night though.
In general the barriers get staffed until 10pm at Crewe so by the time the sleeper arrives they will be wide open.

AberdeenBill

Thanks again for all the good answers on this subject. Good to know that the barriers are likely to be open at Crewe and if i send him copy of e-ticket he can show this if challenged.

Meyrick

Changing topic, can someone please advise the best way of booking a ticket if i want to travel from Euston to Aberdeen in a room whilst my son would join the train at Crewe to share the room. The normal website booking page only seems able to deal with single or two people occupying a room but starting at the same place and does not seem to be able to cater for the situation i have desribed.
Hi,

I believe there is no price difference, so order two tickets from Euston and then advise Cal Sleeper via Twitter that your son is joining the train at Crewe. Also give them a screenshot of the ticket as well as your son, give your son screenshots of the conversation too just in case he's challenged at Crewe.

SandsofEss

Does anybody know how strikes typically affect the sleeper, given it runs overnight?

I'm due to travel on it on Wednesday 25th, and want to know if I can breathe easy now that it's 14 days out today, or whether I need to wait for tomorrow to be certain...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Does anybody know how strikes typically affect the sleeper, given it runs overnight?

I'm due to travel on it on Wednesday 25th, and want to know if I can breathe easy now that it's 14 days out today, or whether I need to wait for tomorrow to be certain...

Not at all. CS are not involved in the dispute (nor are GBRf who drive the trains).

When NR was in dispute snd the network was closed overnight, the sleeper didnt run. But NR are not in dispute now.

SandsofEss

Not at all. CS are not involved in the dispute (nor are GBRf who drive the trains).

When NR was in dispute snd the network was closed overnight, the sleeper didnt run. But NR are not in dispute now.

Thank you. Wish I'd asked weeks ago now, instead of counting down the days to today!

Train Maniac

Hey guys, just wondering really
Im 6 foot 7 but the classic beds (according to CS website) are only 6 foot 2. For anyone else that is very tall, what is your experience? Is it easier just to take a Pendolino up the day before and grab a Traveldoge in Glasgow instead?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Im 6 foot 7 but the classic beds (according to CS website) are only 6 foot 2. For anyone else that is very tall, what is your experience? Is it easier just to take a Pendolino up the day before and grab a Traveldoge in Glasgow instead?
You could book a club double (that's an actual double bed) for single occupancy

theironroad

Established Member
I'm 6'1 so a fair bit off you but 6'2 sounds about right as with head on pillow and toes stretched out, I can just about touch wall. guess some knee bending would help but not sure how comfortable. As norbiton says, there are doubles but for even more £££ than already £

Guess you try once for the experience!

Actually, if you are near Euston or one of the Scottish termini in the morning when they arrive you could seek out a host, just explain what you've asked here and ask if you could have a quick test, would only take a minute or so and berths will and most hosts are pretty obliging even if it is a slightly unusual ask!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

You could book a club double (that's an actual double bed) for single occupancy

I‘m longer than the beds (but not 6’7”!) - I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are sleeping without your legs being stretched out. I’m not, particularly - I rarely sleep well in a bed with a footboard for example. That combined with the motion means i woudl always choose to use a day train and hotel, but thats just me. Others are more than happy to do the sleeper, and I certainly recommend trying it to form your own opinion.

The club double is big money - although it is very popular (presuambly for those intending to join the 6ft high club) and it is often sold out long in advance.

Last edited:

Train Maniac

I‘m longer than the beds (but not 6’7”!) - I guess it comes doen to how comfortable you are sleeping without your legs being stretched out. I’m not, particualrly - I rarely sleep well in a bed with a footboard for example. That combined with the motion means i woudl always choose to use a day train and hotel, but thats just me. Other’s are more than happy to do the sleeper, and I certainly recommned trying it to form your own opinion.

The club double is big money - although it is very popular (presuambly for those intending to join the 6ft high club) and it is often sold out long in advance.
Thanks for all the responses guys

Yeahhh.... i think im just gonna stick with a Travelodge like i did on my last Scotland trip ;)

johnr57

Yeahhh.... i think im just gonna stick with a Travelodge like i did on my last Scotland trip ;)
I’m 6ft 5” and on the lowlander from Edinburgh tonight - I’ll report back in the morning !

John

johnr57

How did it go?

Sorry I forgot, Slept well, very well indeed to be fair, woke up at Crewe momentarily but went back off again and was woken by my alarm at 630 to discover we were already at Euston having arrived about 5 minutes previously.
Bed Length, I could stretch out fully without any problem, I don't think your extra couple of inches would make that much difference.The ladder gets in the way of getting in and out of bed but no great drama. Back on it again on Monday, in a Club Solo, might try the upper bunk then see if it's any better along with the shower.
Last Time I was on the Sleeper was pre Mk5, these are a big improvement from my memories of the old stock.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions then please do not hesitate ........

John

Train Maniac

Sorry I forgot, Slept well, very well indeed to be fair, woke up at Crewe momentarily but went back off again and was woken by my alarm at 630 to discover we were already at Euston having arrived about 5 minutes previously.
Bed Length, I could stretch out fully without any problem, I don't think your extra couple of inches would make that much difference.The ladder gets in the way of getting in and out of bed but no great drama. Back on it again on Monday, in a Club Solo, might try the upper bunk then see if it's any better along with the shower.
Last Time I was on the Sleeper was pre Mk5, these are a big improvement from my memories of the old stock.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions then please do not hesitate ........

John
Glad you got a decent nights sleep :)

My only experience of sleeper stock is the refurbished mk3 seated coach on the Night Riviera. Bloody awful nights sleep, vowed never again.... Sounds like the CS mk5s are an improvement whichever angle you look at it.

JModulo

My only experience of sleeper stock is the refurbished mk3 seated coach on the Night Riviera. Bloody awful nights sleep, vowed never again.... Sounds like the CS mk5s are an improvement whichever angle you look at it.
Each to their own though. Having travelled on both, usually atleast once a month, I'd have a mk3 any day.

theironroad

Established Member

John
The ladder can be unclipped at the bottom and with a slight downward pull can be removed and temporarily stowed though probably best to put it back before disembarking to keep the little label happy :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The ladder gets in the way of getting in and out of bed but no great drama. Back on it again on Monday, in a Club Solo, might try the upper bunk then see if it's any better
You may find that because the ladder is in the middle rather than at one end, it's surprisingly awkward for getting into the upper bunk... Think where your feet naturally go as you swing round to get on...

johnr57

The ladder can be unclipped at the bottom and with a slight downward pull can be removed and temporarily stowed though probably best to put it back before disembarking to keep the little label happy :)
Hey that sounds like a plan!

JamieL

+1 on the ladder. It easily unclips and I stow it on the top bunk. Not only does it make the lower bunk more comfortable but also means it is more spacious as a seat in the morning once you are waiting to disembark.

Always put it back though!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Yes, for us tall people, the Mk5 is much better than the Mk3.

Also, removing the ladder (temporarily) is simple and much improves the experience.

tricky18jan

My first experience of the new sleeper coaches was 2 months ago from Glasgow to Euston. Lights out on departure from Glasgow and woke up when my alarm went off at 6am. Slept great….

Travelled same journey last night…..same room style with the bunks but it had the shower/toilet in.

Worst sleep I have had in a while……and I often sleep in my truck with a fridge roaring its head off all night behind me

Every bump off the tracks was felt

No complaints though apart from that…brekkie was good again too

Rich