• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

BRX

Established Member
I’ve always found them the easiest of the TOCs when buying and occasionally refunding!
It ought to be really, seeing as they seem to be the only operator allowed to sell tickets for their own services and their own services alone. There should be very little complexity in assessing and processing a refund as they don't have to involve themselves in the messiness of multi-leg journeys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
There is nothing to stop (apart from complexity) other retailers from selling Caledonian Sleeper tickets.

paninaro

I’ve always found them the easiest of the TOCs when buying and occasionally refunding!

I’ll agree the wording could be changed but they are all Caledonian Sleeper dedicated tickets if they include a reservation for the Caledonian Sleeper!

What the panel is telling you is pretty self explanatory and clear. You buy a ticket from them for the sleeper - up to 12 months ……… etc

If you’ve bought a ticket valid on the sleeper and need it refunded then ……..!

Dedicated sleeper tickets as opposed to ones for national rail (CS used to sell tickets for any operator- not sure if they still do!)

That’s my interpretation anyway.

Just to agree with this, I've refunded multiple times, when my travel plans have changed, following those steps (I think you could get a refund up to 2 days before in previous years, but that banner makes it clear it's 7 now).

If you have any doubt, give them a ring. I always find their "travel ambassadors" or whatever they're called very helpful.

BRX

Established Member
It would just take some minor tweaks to text on the website to make things clear about the refund policy. There shouldn't be a need to phone them to clarify exactly what the ticket conditions are.

paninaro

It would just take some minor tweaks to text on the website to make things clear about the refund policy. There shouldn't be a need to phone them to clarify exactly what the ticket conditions are.
Yeah completely agree. I was just trying to provide a concrete answer to the OP.

Runv

Just to agree with this, I've refunded multiple times, when my travel plans have changed, following those steps (I think you could get a refund up to 2 days before in previous years, but that banner makes it clear it's 7 now).

If you have any doubt, give them a ring. I always find their "travel ambassadors" or whatever they're called very helpful.
Why should your, Multiple refunds.
Work it out lad, on or not.

jagardner1984

As well they should be given costs etc - but have always found CS customer service excellent and very human. Stands out a mile from all the automated drivel that a lot of other operators fire at you whenever you try and resolve an issue.

williamn

Stuck at Carstairs this morning en route to Glasgow this morning with a points failure. Will be my second complete refund in a row…

Stuck at Carstairs this morning en route to Glasgow this morning with a points failure. Will be my second complete refund in a row…
Now on our way. I’m guessing we’ll arrive around 8.45. Yesterday they texted at lunchtime and said our arrival would be amended to 8am and from announcements it’s seems they will base delay repay off this - is this right though? Original arrival time was 7.30am.

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Yesterday they texted at lunchtime and said our arrival would be amended to 8am and from announcements it’s seems they will base delay repay off this - is this right though? Original arrival time was 7.30am.
No, the timetable of the day still said 07:30 so delay repay should be based off of that.

You ended up 76 minutes late, so should receive a full refund if your ticket was a single, or 50% of a return ticket.

williamn

Thanks, obviously the crew were misinformed as I've now had a full refund.

Also: not sure if this has been posted here?

"Part of the Caledonian Sleeper has been taken out of passenger service
after “hairline cracks” were found in nine carriages, The Scotsman
has learned."

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks, obviously the crew were misinformed as I've now had a full refund.

Also: not sure if this has been posted here?

"Part of the Caledonian Sleeper has been taken out of passenger service
after “hairline cracks” were found in nine carriages, The Scotsman
has learned."
That's paywalled...

PG

Established Member
That's paywalled...
The most pertinent part reads:
The company said the cracks on the body shells were found among the 75 carriages in the fleet during additional inspections triggered by cracks being found in other train operators’ coaches in 2021, including ScotRail’s newest fleet.

It said they were spotted on one of its coaches in an inspection in December, “with further issues identified” this month. An industry source said the cracks were in the bogies which support the wheels.

Investigations are continuing, while the monthly checks on the Spanish-built CAF trains have been stepped up to every two weeks.

paul1609

Established Member
I suspect that there probably wernt an awful lot of bidders for a small order of bespoke sleeping cars for a bespoke loading gauge hauled by bespoke locos and that of those that were none were cheap

Travelmonkey

Finally did the sleeper last Friday and given the latest LNER shenanigans even with cracks I'd still risk the cally now,

Do bear in mind most modern stock is having niggles remember the IET debacle,

I found sleeping quite well actually only woke up thrice, once at a red signal north of Stafford,

The bumps on approach to WBQ and over the weaver,

At Preston for whatever it does there.

Given the way things are going I am gonna have the cally on my mind positively for a long time.

*photo left plush Monkey with a coffee in the lounge

*photo right plush Monkey on the bed with some chocolate,

Attachments

• 20240112_204331.jpg
    20240112_204331.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 20240112_224227.jpg
    20240112_224227.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73

JamieL

Travelling with the CS next week and looking forward to trying out the new lounge at Euston. I understand it is on Platform 1 - are there still barriers in place and, if so, does the CS ticket work on them?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Travelling with the CS next week and looking forward to trying out the new lounge at Euston. I understand it is on Platform 1 - are there still barriers in place and, if so, does the CS ticket work on them?

The gateline is almost never closed there, but if it is any ticket originating at Euston should work it, yes.

MrJeeves

Established Member
From what I recall they did manual ticket inspections when I used them on my RailSail ticket to Belfast, leaving the gateline open (if there was one)

Travelmonkey

I can't comment I got chauffeur driven round to the lounge from my 350*, although the lounge itself is semi decent, make sure to raid yourself some cans of the irn bru (or other preference soft drink)

*passenger assist booking*

williamn

Is it just me or is the lounge / club car not as popular as it used to be? Never very busy on my trips up to Glasgow and tonight on the way to Aberdeen I think I counted 9 customers in total. Back in the day it was rammed (and a lot more convivial).

Travelmonkey

Might be time of year and COL considerations. I had one G&T in the lounge car and went straight to bed as unfortunately it is a more pricy commodity that car.

williamn

Had a rude awakening at 05.00 on the Aberdeen bound train this morning. Line ahead blocked and we had to get out to get coaches - these turned out to be people carriers so there are now 8 of us packed into one (with others following) en route. Not ideal…

Not sure yet what the issue on the line is.

Last edited:

ld0595

Had a rude awakening at 05.00 on the Aberdeen bound train this morning. Line ahead blocked and we had to get out to get coaches - these turned out to be people carriers so there are now 8 of us packed into one (with others following) en route. Not ideal…

Track defect near Montrose according to Network Rail.

AberdeenBill

Is it just me or is the lounge / club car not as popular as it used to be? Never very busy on my trips up to Glasgow and tonight on the way to Aberdeen I think I counted 9 customers in total. Back in the day it was rammed (and a lot more convivial).
On my recent trips to Aberdeen (latter part of last year) it has still been busy, but i would fully agree it is not so convivial. I think that is probably due to the change in layout from the Mk3 Lounge with the tables, moveable chairs and the sofas, which seemed to encourage interaction with other passengers. Also whilst the staff seem to be very busy, i also seem to think that it takes quite a long time to get a drink from when you are first seated. Hence if i am on my own, i tend to take some of my own supplies and watch a film in my room and maybe stroll along to the lounge for a last one at about 11pm when it is more quiet.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Interesting to know as we will be going to Glasgow Edinburgh in a couple of weeks and will want to eat on the train, but won't be able to get to Euston before boarding starts to get first dibs on seats in the lounge car.

paul1609

Established Member
The Aberdeen Lounge mostly depends on Fort William passengers who are nearly entirely tourists and in short supply at this time of year. The Glasgow lounge and portion has only really been busy northbound on Thursday and friday Nights since the Westcoast Modernisation.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Hopefully you will get some money back for being awakened in the early hours

williamn

Last night was also the first time I’ve ever been asked what type of room I’m in when using the lounge/club car.

Hopefully you will get some money back for being awakened in the early hours
I really hope so. Being squeezed next to a stranger in the front of a people carrier for three hours is definitely not great, though probably the best they could do in the circumstances.