• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Davester50

Is it just me or is the lounge / club car not as popular as it used to be? Never very busy on my trips up to Glasgow and tonight on the way to Aberdeen I think I counted 9 customers in total. Back in the day it was rammed (and a lot more convivial).
It's still a bit too cafeteria for my liking, compared with the cozy old lounge.
Northbound, I've found it busy, (but then nearly everyone is joining at the one station).
Southbound, before Christmas I was the only user.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

williamn

This might be a post for a different thread, but CS have offered 25% refund for the cancellation of the Aberdeen sleeper at Edinburgh last night. Am I right to feel this doesn’t feel quite enough for the inconvenience of being woken at 5am, having to dress and pack immediately and then spend three hours wedged in the front of a people carrier next to someone else? Plus we arrived 30 mins after the scheduled 7.40am.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This might be a post for a different thread, but CS have offered 25% refund for the cancellation of the Aberdeen sleeper at Edinburgh last night. Am I right to feel this doesn’t feel quite enough for the inconvenience of being woken at 5am, having to dress and pack immediately and then spend three hours wedged in the front of a people carrier next to someone else? Plus we arrived 30 mins after the scheduled 7.40am.

If you arrived 30 minutes late (not 29) the correct Delay Repay is 50%, so yes, this is well under. 25% would be for 15-30 minutes, are you sure it wasn't 29 or so?

williamn

If you arrived 30 minutes late (not 29) the correct Delay Repay is 50%, so yes, this is well under. 25% would be for 15-30 minutes, are you sure it wasn't 29 or so?
CS haven’t stated that it is a delay repay refund. I had it down as 30 but it’s very hard to say, especially as we were for some reason taken to the top floor of an multi-storey car park next to the station rather than the station itself, so by the time I’d got down the station it was definitely over 30 mins. But I feel some allowance should also be made for the vastly different levels of comfort of full people carrier rather than sleeper.

richardderby

Last night was also the first time I’ve ever been asked what type of room I’m in when using the lounge/club car.

I really hope so. Being squeezed next to a stranger in the front of a people carrier for three hours is definitely not great, though probably the best they could do in the circumstances.
on our Friday departure from Euston to Fort William, we were advised we couldn't go to the lounge club car until half an hour after departure, as we were in standard cabins and not club, surprised as I have never had an issue before either.. The storms caused a lot of disruption for the return, but we got back this morning, 24 hours later than planned. the trains were all cancelled on Tuesday and we owe a lot of thanks to the lovely lady at Inverness ticket office who rebooked us. The web chat folk were not particularly helpful.

Established Member
Does anyone know what happened to 1S26 the 2350 Euston to Glasgow, the ecs made it as far as Queens Park, then went ecs to Watford where the service started from?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know what happened to 1S26 the 2350 Euston to Glasgow, the ecs made it as far as Queens Park, then went ecs to Watford where the service started from?

Hearing that there was some sort of issue at Wembley which meant that certain sleeper locos were trapped in the depot.

Hearing that there was some sort of issue at Wembley which meant that certain sleeper locos were trapped in the depot.

Whilst forming the set up at Wembley last night the 92 at the north end of the depot derailed. A replacement 92 was sourced and whilst passing the derailed 92 on an adjacent road, also derailed.
This left two 92s at Wembley.
5S95 left Wembley top & tailed for 1S25; the loco leading into Euston then went to Wembley for the stock for 1S26. But as there was only one 92 available 1S26 had to start from Watford.
One of the southbound sleepers meanwhile ran double-headed to convey another 92 to London to allow the sleepers to depart Euston for the depot this morning. The leading 92 was detached in Kilburn Loop; to then drop on the back.

Update: One of the rerailed 92s has just derailed again!

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Is it just me or is the lounge / club car not as popular as it used to be? Never very busy on my trips up to Glasgow and tonight on the way to Aberdeen I think I counted 9 customers in total. Back in the day it was rammed (and a lot more convivial).
It was rammed and had to multiple sittings out of Fort William last August. There is a lack of decent tables to enjoy a meal at.

John Bishop

Whilst forming the set up at Wembley last night the 92 at the north end of the depot derailed. A replacement 92 was sourced and whilst passing the derailed 92 on an adjacent road, also derailed.
5S95 left Wembley top & tailed for 1S25; the loco leading into Euston then went to Wembley for the stock for 1S26. But as there was only one 92 available 1S26 had to start from Watford.
One of the southbound sleepers meanwhile ran double-headed to convey another 92 to London to allow the sleepers to depart Euston for the depot this morning. The leading 92 was detached in Kilburn Loop; to then drop on the back.

Blimey, you just can’t make this stuff up!! I swear the British Rail network becomes more bizarre as the days pass!

Established Member

Thanks for the detailed response. Bit a good night for the poor 92s.

Established Member
Last night was also the first time I’ve ever been asked what type of room I’m in when using the lounge/club car.

I really hope so. Being squeezed next to a stranger in the front of a people carrier for three hours is definitely not great, though probably the best they could do in the circumstances.
When I went to Fort William in September, we got terminated at Edinburgh 5 and a half hours late.

There were about 30 of us off the Fort William portion. They put us all in taxis, but generously. My taxi was a regular Hackney carriage which had 7 if not 8 seats, but they only put 4 of us in it. That seemed by no means unusual either; a group of 3 got put in and they asked if anyone was travelling alone.

Admittedly trying to recruit transport at 9:30 is probably rather different than at 04:30 or so; plus in my case an Edinburgh cabbie got a nice day out to the Highlands thanks to it.

tomsy47

I see there are £50 seat tickets on the Caledonian Sleeper website for a date in March that I’d like to travel on. Am I able to buy this from any station ticket office? I ask as I’d like to buy using RTVs.

paul1609

Established Member
I think it depends on where in the coutnry 'The Bunk" is. Some stations cant make the reservations. That said my local station has been able to do it if you leave it with them and pick it up a few hours later.

tomsy47

I’m in Wallingford so Didcot is my closest. I can access plenty of ticket offices around London. I just wasn’t sure whether that ticket was only available via CS website or whether it could be bought from a ticket office.

Some nostalgic contributors to this thread claim a low-cost journey in such circumstances (admittedly by rail in a berth rather than road) would be popular. But as you say, it's really not a great way of travelling.

Established Member
I’m in Wallingford so Didcot is my closest. I can access plenty of ticket offices around London. I just wasn’t sure whether that ticket was only available via CS website or whether it could be bought from a ticket office.
Any ticket office should sell you these tickets.
However some will say they are not able to (as they don’t know how to do it), however all stations should have a telephone number for Great Western, and they can advise the process of how to book such a ticket.
My local station has absolutely no problem what so ever booking sleeper tickets when I require one.

JJmoogle

The new NightJet mini cabins(the capsule hotel on wheels) look pretty tidy, I wonder if we'll ever see those fitted as the 'cheap' option, I think that's the future, I'd love to see something like that on the Caledonian, I'd use it more often if that where the case

I couldn't dream of actually sharing an enclosed cabin with berths, having randoms next to you in the seater can be uncomfortable enough.

father_jack

UK

Cracks found on Caledonian Sleeper vehicles​

By Rail Business UK23 January 2024
SHOW FULLSCREEN
Caledonian Sleeper MkV coach at Fort William (Photo Tony Miles)

UK: A National Incident Report issued on January 10 confirmed that hairline cracks have been found in the T slots of eight of 75 MkV coaches in the Caledonian Sleeper fleet at points where the yaw damper bracket joins the body of the vehicle.
Industry sources report that cracks have since been identified on a ninth vehicle.
The coaches with cracks have been stood down and will not re-enter traffic until suitable mitigation is in place.

The NIR notes ‘the initial instance on 15004 appeared to show impact or tooling damage on the T slot but all other vehicles show no sign of any similar discrepancy’.
It has been confirmed that the defects arise from issues previously identified on other CAF rolling stock fleets used in the UK. The NIR notes that additional checks have been carried out on the Caledonian Sleeper fleet in the yaw damper and anti-roll bar region since April 2021. These include a monthly visual check of the T slot, and a detailed measurement campaign which arose from an earlier NIR covering the similar MkVa loco-hauled coaches to provide greater clarity on vehicles at higher risk of cracking.
The timing is unfortunate for CAF as these cracks have been discovered before the completion of the testing and validation of long-term mitigation, already underway, which involves a redesigned attachment method.
A similar modification programme was carried out on earlier Class 19x and Class 331 multiple units after cracks were discovered on a number of Class 195 vehicles in 2021. Following this work, CAF stated that it had identified the root cause of the problem and the solution had been implemented across several fleets.
I'm not sure if this is up the page but it might explain the the ghastly "comfort" level on these trains...............

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'm not sure if this is up the page but it might explain the the ghastly "comfort" level on these trains...............
Not good news for CAF

Established Member
What’s ghastly about the comfort?

I’ve done many a journey, and find them a very comfortable journey.

father_jack

Both mine have been ghastly, rattled around all night on a 2 inch thick flat mattress with no feedback tolerated because the trains were on time....

H&I

I found the ride quality quite rough, and it was difficult to fall asleep, even in the Caledonian Double. Fortunately, my university was paying for it through expenses, but if I had been paying for it myself, I would not have been very happy.