• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Iskra

Established Member
I found the ride quality fine for sleeping, but I found dining harder on the West Highland Line which presumably doesn’t have the smoothest track, but also not helped by the more traditional dining tables in the club car being right over the bogies. The ‘bump in the night’ was also less noticeable, as was stopping/starting compared to the Mk3’s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Travelmonkey

I do think it is mostly down to the track the uncomfyness but once I got settled it was quite nice to chill when I did it recently although I did have a mid coach cabin next time I'm thinking off booking the accessible cabin but I've heard mixed things.

Mike99

Whilst forming the set up at Wembley last night the 92 at the north end of the depot derailed. A replacement 92 was sourced and whilst passing the derailed 92 on an adjacent road, also derailed.
This left two 92s at Wembley.
5S95 left Wembley top & tailed for 1S25; the loco leading into Euston then went to Wembley for the stock for 1S26. But as there was only one 92 available 1S26 had to start from Watford.
One of the southbound sleepers meanwhile ran double-headed to convey another 92 to London to allow the sleepers to depart Euston for the depot this morning. The leading 92 was detached in Kilburn Loop; to then drop on the back.

Update: One of the rerailed 92s has just derailed again!
I notice that Real Time Trains says the 23:50 sleeper last night was cancelled from Euston, reason 'Mishap' !!!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I noticed on some of the schedules they add a large padding time between the last timing point & station. Ie 75 minutes for Haymarket to Edinburgh on the lowlander to Edinburgh this morning. Or even have 10 minute+ differences between the working timetable & Public timetable for arrival times

Interesting way to try and avoid forking out for delay repay when the trains run late

Established Member
I noticed on some of the schedules they add a large padding time between the last timing point & station. Ie 75 minutes for Haymarket to Edinburgh on the lowlander to Edinburgh this morning. Or even have 10 minute+ differences between the working timetable & Public timetable for arrival times

Interesting way to try and avoid forking out for delay repay when the trains run late
A 2 second search in RTT shows that ‘75 min path’ is today only.

today it’s a VVR path which suggests it’s amended at very short notice for some reason.

If you look at any other day it is shown as a 07:30 arrival. (15 minutes between Haymarket and Waverley).

cadder toad

The Fort William to Edinburgh portion cancelled tonight, 25th, problem with train. It ran as empty coaches to Edin.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

It seems to be a specialty of theirs, amending the arrival time at the last minute. Although as we've seen in this thread, they've sometimes not even managed to do so in time for the rail industry's self-imposed "10pm the night before" deadline.

There's nothing wrong with giving people advance notice of a later estimated arrival, but amending the scheduled arrival time like this in an attempt to minimise/eliminate Delay Repay liability - at a point where most people would no longer have any feasible alternative to sticking with the Sleeper - is fundamentally unreasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Any ticket office should sell you these tickets.
However some will say they are not able to (as they don’t know how to do it), however all stations should have a telephone number for Great Western, and they can advise the process of how to book such a ticket.
My local station has absolutely no problem what so ever booking sleeper tickets when I require one.
A phone number for Caledonian Sleeper would be better.
The original question was if the cheap fares were online only fares

Kieran_MF135

I see there are £50 seat tickets on the Caledonian Sleeper website for a date in March that I’d like to travel on. Am I able to buy this from any station ticket office? I ask as I’d like to buy using RTVs.
I brought a Cabin ticket at ticket office tho I have found some won't sell you one especially if over 12 weeks mine was about 20 weeks

But it is doable they you might need to tell there ticket code for the trip

Caleb2010

It seems to be a specialty of theirs, amending the arrival time at the last minute. Although as we've seen in this thread, they've sometimes not even managed to do so in time for the rail industry's self-imposed "10pm the night before" deadline.

There's nothing wrong with giving people advance notice of a later estimated arrival, but amending the scheduled arrival time like this in an attempt to minimise/eliminate Delay Repay liability - at a point where most people would no longer have any feasible alternative to sticking with the Sleeper - is fundamentally unreasonable in my opinion.

I am of the opinion that the published time of arrival quoted on your booking is the one any delay markers or repay criteria should be judged against.

A S Leib

I am of the opinion that the published time of arrival quoted on your booking is the one any delay markers or repay criteria should be judged against.
Don't some sources e.g. CrossCountry e-tickets for non-advance fares not show times? (Although in that case the times of arrival used should be those shown when booking.)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well, that's my view as well - I cannot see any way it is compatible with consumer law - but that is potentially an argument that might need to be made in legal proceedings, if a train operator were to absolutely refuse to pay.

Bill57p9

Due to engineering works around Newbridge Junction this week the Fort William portion is running via Shotts and the (rare) Sunnyside Curve.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was on the lowlander on Friday night to Edinburgh... AC seemingly was on height of Spanish Summer mode as even wearing a thick coat it was freezing.

Didn't help that a couple of office workers chatting loudly away about work for the first couple of hours in the seats.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I did what I am determined is my last ever trip on the current Caledonian seated product back at the end of November last year, could be to do with my advancing age but definitely has other factors documented here and elsewhere at play also, but I view it now as a very much a false economy and whilst I am quite happy to use the seats when they form part of a day train in public service on Highland roots I will not be doing again

lachlan

I was on the lowlander on Friday night to Edinburgh... AC seemingly was on height of Spanish Summer mode as even wearing a thick coat it was freezing.

Didn't help that a couple of office workers chatting loudly away about work for the first couple of hours in the seats.
I've found the seats freezing every time. Last time we had a cabin and the temperature can be adjusted with quite a wide range.

Sealink

I have received my confirmation from Caledonian Sleeper and there is a Seat Frog logo attached, although Caledonian Sleeper doesn't appear on SeatFrog.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The southbound Highlander arrived at Euston at 1014 on Saturday morning, after, it seems, something happening with the Fort William portion.

1M16 to London, departed Edinburgh at 0438 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C20709/2024-02-02/detailed#allox_id=1
1B01 from Fort William, arrived Edinburgh at 0417 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C20683/2024-02-02/detailed#allox_id=0

Looks like 1B01 from Fort William was stopped at Drumgelloch, the engines ran round, and then went to Blairhill, ran round again, and then via the Shotts line to Edinburgh

The Puddock

Looks like 1B01 from Fort William was stopped at Drumgelloch, the engines ran round, and then went to Blairhill, ran round again, and then via the Shotts line to Edinburgh
There was no run round, it propelled all the way back to Coatbridge.

dmkc

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, or indeed if its claptrap but is 37403's holiday to Craigentinny somehow sleeper cover related? Sure I read a suggestion to that end?
Again sorry if this is piffle!