• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
On the FW route, for the northern Scotland calling points, do people boarding at these have their own carriage or do they use any available seats in the seated coach? Or am I misunderstanding the timetable?

JamieL

On the FW route, for the northern Scotland calling points, do people boarding at these have their own carriage or do they use any available seats in the seated coach? Or am I misunderstanding the timetable?

There is only one seated carriage. I have never used the seats but believe you have to book in advance so will presumably be allocated a specific spare seat.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is only one seated carriage. I have never used the seats but believe you have to book in advance so will presumably be allocated a specific spare seat.

There's a seat selector when you book. Though I'm not sure about local journeys, they seem to change that every other week.

There are always some spare seats because FW and Aberdeen passengers are in one coach south of Edinburgh.

Sealink

I still laugh at this description of a food item...

Sausage Wellington
£10
Tasty herb flavoured sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry and baked until golden. Served with a spiced bean ragout and Arran mustard.

It's a sausage roll with baked beans isn't it?

JamieL

I still laugh at this description of a food item...

Sausage Wellington
£10
Tasty herb flavoured sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry and baked until golden. Served with a spiced bean ragout and Arran mustard.

It's a sausage roll with baked beans isn't it?
No. I had this the other day and, although portion size was smaller than I would have liked, this was a lovely meal.

jumble

I’m not sure where you live but in London you’ll struggle to pay £3 for a coffee anywhere, let alone artisan type coffee.
It’s £2.76 in Starbucks for a tea these days, so would you really not expect to pay a little more than that on a train?

If the sleeper is regularly sold out (and it is) why on earth would they start giving away free tea and coffee, and turning away revenue? The same goes for other operators, where “free” tea and coffee is generally only available in first class.
Except in spoons of course
Even the new one in Euston is only £1.56 for bottomless coffee

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In the seats, are there any seats that would be more desirable than others, or are they all going to give a similar experience? (Don’t worry, my expectations are suitably low…)
Equal comfort (or lack of). The seats to avoid are those under direct lighting.

Sealink

Except in spoons of course
Even the new one in Euston is only £1.56 for bottomless coffee

Had breakfast at the new Spoons at Euston on Wednesday after my seated Sleeper from Inverness and a very sorry bacon roll on board.

Was seriously impressed by it, it's actually a beautiful pub. Used to a bar called Secrets, with black curtains. Well I say bar...

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Had breakfast at the new Spoons at Euston on Wednesday after my seated Sleeper from Inverness and a very sorry bacon roll on board.

Was seriously impressed buy it, it's actually a beautiful pub. Used to a bar called Secrets, with black curtains. Well I say bar...

Oh good, we're planning on eating there before we board next week.

BRX

Established Member
Equal comfort (or lack of). The seats to avoid are those under direct lighting.
I'd not agree that all seats provide equal comfort. I think most people would agree that getting one of the single ones is more comfortable than being in one of the double ones with a stranger sat right next to you. Of course, you can take the gamble with a double seat that the carriage is not busy and it'll just be you in the double seat but that's quite a big gamble.

Also, 2B and 2C have lots more leg-room, assuming the wheelchair space is unused.

1A and 11A/B/C have a little bit more space in front of them than others (I think), at least subjectively it feels like that.

There will tend to be fewer people walking back and forth past you if you're in the higher-number rows.

An issue with any of the window seats was light blasting at you from the striplights immediately above the windows but I believe they've dimmed those lights since I last travelled so not sure how much that's improved things.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 09.28.38.jpg

Kite159

Veteran Member
An issue with any of the window seats was light blasting at you from the striplights immediately above the windows but I believe they've dimmed those lights since I last travelled so not sure how much that's improved things.
The striplights above the windows get switched off soon after departure.

From memory there is a single seat which is against a bulkhead rather than a window which means you don't get a cold arm when the AC goes into height of Spanish Summer mode

Iskra

Established Member
I'd not agree that all seats provide equal comfort. I think most people would agree that getting one of the single ones is more comfortable than being in one of the double ones with a stranger sat right next to you. Of course, you can take the gamble with a double seat that the carriage is not busy and it'll just be you in the double seat but that's quite a big gamble.

Also, 2B and 2C have lots more leg-room, assuming the wheelchair space is unused.

1A and 11A/B/C have a little bit more space in front of them than others (I think), at least subjectively it feels like that.

There will tend to be fewer people walking back and forth past you if you're in the higher-number rows.

View attachment 152197
Thanks, I went for a single and away from the bogies so hopefully should be okay :)

On the Aberdeen leg, so if CS want to get their 37 out on the 19th that would be nice ;)

Ted633

View attachment 152197
I thought that when I booked to travel a couple years ago. Chose 11A. Not shown in the diagram above, but there is a bulkhead in front of you meaning there is no footrest and you can't stretch your legs out. (I'm 5ft11) Luckily no one was sat in the seat behind so promptly switched to that one after departure.

The striplights above the windows get switched off soon after departure.
When I travelled, the ceiling lights turned off and the window lights stayed on for the duration! Glad they have changed that.

styles

Was seriously impressed buy it, it's actually a beautiful pub. Used to a bar called Secrets, with black curtains. Well I say bar...
Train bacon rolls are probably the worst bacon rolls I've ever had.

Rolls are chewy, the ratio of bread to bacon is comical, and the whole thing feels soggy.

That said, breakfast in the Caledonian Sleeper dining car is brilliant. In fact I rate all the food I've had there. Reasonably priced for a train as well.

I thought that when I booked to travel a couple years ago. Chose 11A. Not shown in the diagram above, but there is a bulkhead in front of you meaning there is no footrest and you can't stretch your legs out. (I'm 5ft11) Luckily no one was sat in the seat behind so promptly switched to that one after departure.

When I travelled, the ceiling lights turned off and the window lights stayed on for the duration! Glad they have changed that.
Funnily enough, I intentionally book 11A when I travel seated. You get a proper table to use a laptop on. I'm short so I can normally get my feet up to curl up and sleep. It's a single seat so don't have anybody sat next to you.

D5645

View attachment 152197

We always go for seat 11B and 11C in the seating coach.

Row 11 seats have fixed tables which as you say means there is a little more room.

Also you are furthest away from the WC with it's constant 'toilet door is opening' , 'toilet door is closing', 'toilet door is locked' announcements routine.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
We always go for seat 11B and 11C in the seating coach.

Row 11 seats have fixed tables which as you say means there is a little more room.

Also you are furthest away from the WC with it's constant 'toilet door is opening' , 'toilet door is closing', 'toilet door is locked' announcements routine.
Ah yes. I had been wondering about that and your point makes sense. Would have been a better design if the bikes were next to the loo and then the seats end up nearer the Staff Office. Only down side is if there are too many bikes and the wheelchair user cannot get to the loo, but then currently the Staff member (although more agile) could be stuck beyond the bikes.

ajrm

Train bacon rolls are probably the worst bacon rolls I've ever had.

Rolls are chewy, the ratio of bread to bacon is comical, and the whole thing feels soggy.
Couldn't agree more. I was extremely disappointed with the bacon roll I had in my cabin the other week. Very unimpressive.

BRX

Established Member
I have fond memories of the BR bacon roll that used to be served on the southbound Highland Chieftain; it was a ritual of mine to eat it as my breakfast whilst looking out of the droplight window as we headed up to Slochd summit. It was slightly soggy and the roll was a bit chewy but that's just what a railway bacon roll was and should be.

The Puddock

Microwaved bacon rolls are always horrible. They do have the equipment to grill bacon from scratch in the lounge car kitchen but for some reason they persist with microwaving pre-cooked stuff instead.