• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Call for all real 377/387 drivers [TSW question]

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlbbb

Hi all,

I was hoping to ask a couple of questions about energy management of the 377/387s (or perhaps any EMU with only notched/stepped controls), both in general, and some particulars about running up and down the Brighton Main Line. Just as a quick disclaimer, I know TSW3 is hardly going to be the pinnacle of realistic physics, but I think some techniques could still be adapted to the game to make my driving as nerdily "realistic" as possible.

As a broader question, if you're about to hit a stretch of track with a decline, how do you manage your energy? Would you typical have the train sat close to the track limit, and then use small bursts of Step 1 brakes to knock a few mph off the speed, then back to idle and let speed increase, then repeat; or do you try to aim for a speed at the top of a decline that would allow you to carry idle all the way to the next speed limit, or end of the decline, etc. etc.?

For example, I've found in-game that if I were going from East Croydon to Gatwick down the quarry line, as long as I'm close to 90mph, I can set the controller to idle at the signal/90mph speed board just before the start of the Quarry Tunnel. If I do this, the train loses around 4-5mph, gaining that back on the decline to hit 90mph just at the advanced warning of the upcoming 80mph through Earleswood. Similarly in the opposite direction, if I kill the power from 90mph entering Quarry Tunnel on the Up, the speed lost on the incline and then gained back on the decline works out almost perfectly to only hit 90mph by the advanced warning of the 60mph entering South Croydon. Doing this kind of thing manages speed over a number of miles, and I'm wondering if anything like this is done in real life?

Obviously these are all "perfect" running-on-greens scenarios, but I'd love to hear any tips and tricks I could apply (or try to adapt) in-game!

Thanks so much for any responses!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cossie4i

I don’t sign the route you are on about but have been a driver since 1991.
The correct way to drive is how you describe in the second part using the gradient’s to control the speed of your train.
I used to sign 400s also 375s but now drive 59s and 66s.

westcoaster

Established Member
Hi all,

I was hoping to ask a couple of questions about energy management of the 377/387s (or perhaps any EMU with only notched/stepped controls), both in general, and some particulars about running up and down the Brighton Main Line. Just as a quick disclaimer, I know TSW3 is hardly going to be the pinnacle of realistic physics, but I think some techniques could still be adapted to the game to make my driving as nerdily "realistic" as possible.

As a broader question, if you're about to hit a stretch of track with a decline, how do you manage your energy? Would you typical have the train sat close to the track limit, and then use small bursts of Step 1 brakes to knock a few mph off the speed, then back to idle and let speed increase, then repeat; or do you try to aim for a speed at the top of a decline that would allow you to carry idle all the way to the next speed limit, or end of the decline, etc. etc.?

For example, I've found in-game that if I were going from East Croydon to Gatwick down the quarry line, as long as I'm close to 90mph, I can set the controller to idle at the signal/90mph speed board just before the start of the Quarry Tunnel. If I do this, the train loses around 4-5mph, gaining that back on the decline to hit 90mph just at the advanced warning of the upcoming 80mph through Earleswood. Similarly in the opposite direction, if I kill the power from 90mph entering Quarry Tunnel on the Up, the speed lost on the incline and then gained back on the decline works out almost perfectly to only hit 90mph by the advanced warning of the 60mph entering South Croydon. Doing this kind of thing manages speed over a number of miles, and I'm wondering if anything like this is done in real life?

Obviously these are all "perfect" running-on-greens scenarios, but I'd love to hear any tips and tricks I could apply (or try to adapt) in-game!

Thanks so much for any responses!
Power all the way up through quarry tunnel and coast to east Croydon.

On the down coast all the way from skew bridge to Earlswood, power up after the 90 then coast all the way to Gatwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.