• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Line improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirphil

Linespeed increases from last Monday in October will see linespeed between Welshpool and Sutton Bridge junction increase to 145kph (90mph). Increase in speeds over the points into and out of Newtown and Welshpool from 25kph to 40, 45 or 50 kph depending specific location.

Other linespeed improvements planned for Welshpool - Newtown will have to wait on infrastructure works but should be in place by March 2013 enabling Newtown - Welshpool to be a 12 minute section.

There will be no reduction in journey times at this time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Hopefully a step towards being able to provide an hourly service between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth.

tirphil

Further to my previous post.

Line speed enhancements at Bow Street and Pant-y-Peron UWC (No.219) between Borth and Aberystwyth.

Furthermore enhancements at Tywyn, Barmouth Bridge, Pont Briwet, Penrhyndeudraeth and Pwllheli.

Many apologies but I do not have the exact speed increases to hand. However I expect the increases to be in the region of 5-15kph above current line speeds depending on location.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Have they done anything with the level crossings ? there was a lot of talk about Forden and another one.

tirphil

Have they done anything with the level crossings ? there was a lot of talk about Forden and another one.

Surveyors have been out in the Ystrad Fawr (138), Rallt (136), Tyddyn y Pwll (135) and Pikins (134) area. By all accounts one bridge is to be built to replace all these. The overbridge looks like it will be built in the short to medium term at the latest. This will not lead to any significant line speed improvements but will save members of the public from themselves, if you know what I mean.

The overbridge to the west of Forden AOCL (071) is to be utilised to replace the crossing. I do not know of any timescale for this however.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Surveyors have been out in the Ystrad Fawr (138), Rallt (136), Tyddyn y Pwll (135) and Pikins (134) area. By all accounts one bridge is to be built to replace all these. The overbridge looks like it will be built in the short to medium term at the latest. This will not lead to any significant line speed improvements but will save members of the public from themselves, if you know what I mean.

The overbridge to the west of Forden AOCL (071) is to be utilised to replace the crossing. I do not know of any timescale for this however.

This is from a County Councillor reporting on what WG Rail Unit told the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth Line Liaison Committee in March.

Regarding the addintional infrastructure need before the hourly service can be intorduced, we were told at the recent Shrewsbury Aberystwyth liaison meeting that the original design work for the hourly service infrastructure was flawed and that among other work it is necessary to lengthen the dynamic loop at Welspool, restore the passing loop at Westbury and possibly replace points at Newtown and remove a level crossing at Forden. It was said that since these omissions are the responsibility of the consultants/ contractors they will be rectified at the contractors expence starting March 2013.
I make no further comment.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Still maintain that is cr@p and you will make it work without the extra loop and extension with the line speed improvements above.

brianthegiant

well, I suppose an extra loop between Welshpool and Shrewsbury would help reliability, by giving more flexibility to deal with delays. However my anecdotal experience from many journeys from Mach in all 3 directions, is that the most common places I've had to wait (longer than 10 minutes) for another train to pass is at Newtown or Talerdigg. And that in terms of delay recovery the Newtown-Mach section is most critical and in greatest need of an additional loop. I'm not sure if there is any statistical or operational basis for this theory though..

The Planner

Veteran Member
Caersws was a no brainer for a loop, allows recovery from it all falling to pieces.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
well, I suppose an extra loop between Welshpool and Shrewsbury would help reliability, by giving more flexibility to deal with delays. However my anecdotal experience from many journeys from Mach in all 3 directions, is that the most common places I've had to wait (longer than 10 minutes) for another train to pass is at Newtown or Talerdigg. And that in terms of delay recovery the Newtown-Mach section is most critical and in greatest need of an additional loop. I'm not sure if there is any statistical or operational basis for this theory though..

having spent 3 years commuting from Newtown to Machynlleth (Dec 05-Feb 09)and waiting at Talerdigg 3/5 evenings a week for up to 20 mins I'd agree! Though punctuality is vastly improved on Cambrian since services started to go through to BHM INTL in Dec 08. Of course this is not set in stone for ever and ATW DMU's travel 20 plus miles under the wires from Oxley to INTL..... Shrewsbury will never be wired with hourly DMU's still running on it from Wales.

No one will complain if Westbury is restored but theirs nothing stopping extra trains running now.

steamybrian

Established Member
For an hourly service I am also surprised that a loop was installed at Dovey Junction and not one at Borth.
Trains are timed to take around 25-30 mins to get from Dovey Jn- Aberystwyth, 5 mins turnround at Aberystwyth and 25 minutes Aberystwyth to Dovey Junction which just neatly fills up the hour before the next train is at Dovey Junction.
Only a 5 minute turnround time on a train that has come all the way from Birmingham.
In my opinion it is very, very tight and one slight delay the train service has little time to recover.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It isn't that much, there is a +5 PTT differential at Aberystwyth. It is about 48-49 round trip.

tirphil

Cambrian Times reports today that the WG have stated that an hourly Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury will not be introduced until 2015 at the earliest.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I know Gareth. ERTMS has been plagued by many false starts.

Funny how the trains on the Cambrian run everyday and no ones complains about punctuality much anymore if ERTMS is plagued by problems. in fact bar the first couple of weeks last year in March/April as far as passengers are concerned the signalling system on the Cambrian has not been problematic.

Would love to know what the great problem is with it if it cant be used to run more trains but can cope with the current tt on the Cambrian?

tirphil

You are quite correct. Operationally ERTMS is no more or less reliable than TCB or RETB.

tirphil

Then why are some sources saying the problems with it are a barrier to running extra trains on the Cambrian?

ERTMS is not the barrier. The quote from The Cambrian Times shows that it is a fiscal issue (as determined by the WG). However the political will to push ahead with an hourly service does not seem to be forthcoming.

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Spent an excellent Thursday Afternoon at Tonfanau, Railway station in excellent spotless order complete with wind turbine which I presume feeds the lights , saw the Up & down arrive around 1516 & 1530 or so, several people got off both trains, old station masters cottage rebuilt. no one moved in yet.
Noted the station road crossing which leads to the old Anti Aircraft sites & farm padlocked, with a sign open far gate first, which is what occurred when a 4X4 did just that, driver asked me had the trains gone though,I was able to advise yes on time. Hard to believe the Army Camp across the road must have had huge amounts of daily commuters, as well as the branch to the camp which must also have seen many Army specials and goods trains.

Reason for visit, SWMBO having a site meeting at the demolished MOD bailey bridge about to be renewed at some time for the Wales Coastal path, very interesting rail bridge next to it. A bit off subject, but on the right line:)

Bob

brianthegiant

Reason for visit, SWMBO having a site meeting at the demolished MOD bailey bridge about to be renewed at some time for the Wales Coastal path, very interesting rail bridge next to it. Bob

Good news about the bridge for the coast path.
There is also a campaign group pressing for a new cycle bridge over the dyfi between Derwenlas and Pennal. to save going all the way inland to Dyfi Bridge by Machynlleth, and would make Aberdyfi/Pennal to Mach a much safer cycle ride. Hopefully it will find some funding at some point. In recent years there has been tremendous progress with the cycle network around Mach with new routes towards Derwenlas, Penegoes and Corris.
Of course the Mach community is somewhat absorbed by other things just lately.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Good news about the bridge for the coast path.
There is also a campaign group pressing for a new cycle bridge over the dyfi between Derwenlas and Pennal. to save going all the way inland to Dyfi Bridge by Machynlleth, and would make Aberdyfi/Pennal to Mach a much safer cycle ride. Hopefully it will find some funding at some point. In recent years there has been tremendous progress with the cycle network around Mach with new routes towards Derwenlas, Penegoes and Corris.
Of course the Mach community is somewhat absorbed by other things just lately.

Many rail staff in the Mach are have been involved in the searching, the railway is a significant employer in the area and the community have strong links to the railway and vice versa. The gentlemen interviewed on BBC last night on the march through the town is the Station Booking Office Supervisor.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If the extra loops come at the contractor's expense then I can't see why delays to the hourly service are a finance issue, since assumably funding for providing the service was prepared in advance of the 2011 date. Maybe they have decided more units are needed and they can't find the money to fund that...

Have the linespeed improvements claimed in earlier posts been implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.