• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Railways - Oswestry area

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's all sorts going on now with respect to the Cambrian Railways in the Oswestry area of Shropshire. Firstly, there are two groups, rivals in fact, who are seeking to restore the line through Oswestry and run heritage trains into the Welsh borders. Both have a fair amount of rolling stock and some engines too.

Cambrian Railway Society
(website)
Currently these guys own the railway museum and light railway in Oswestry town centre. They have recently restored the Oswestry South signal box. They are also restoring a mile long section of track between Blodwel and Nantmawr, which is in fact an old branch of the Potts Railways! The society also own a few other bits n bobs in the area, for instance at Weston Wharf.

Cambrian Railway Trust
(website)
Currently these guys own the Llynclys to Pant line and have restored this in the past two years. During the Spring and Summer there are fairly regular, though short, passenger trips down this line from their new Llynclys South station. At the moment the line is just over a km (less than a mile) long and any further expansion south will be tricky as the village of Pant has grown.

The main Gobowen-Blodwel, via Llynclys, railway line has recently been bought by the County Council (although Network Rail have kept the junction at Gobowen and a short section of the line there). It is still pretty much intact, as it was only mothballed and not totally closed. Shropshire County Council are now deciding the future of the line, which both the Trust and the Society want as part of their heritage railway plans. There is also interest from a commercial company who want to run passenger trains from Oswestry to Gobowen. However, there will probably be no regular trains between Oswestry and Gobowen as the line crosses the very busy A5 via a level crossing, north of Oswestry.

So it's quite a complex situation at the moment in the Oswestry area, but there is activity and there is a definetely a future for heritage railways here.

Some other photos and information, from 2004, not by myself

Could I ask that the Cambrian Railway Trust in Llynclys, who are running trains, be added to the stickied/locked list thread in this sub-forum? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
An interesting read there - thanks for that. I've updated the list as requested.

Cheers. :)

I will be having a nose around the Oswestry area at some point this month and will take photos then. The County Council are expected to announce what's happening to the Gobowen-Bodwel line soon (in theory, though it is a complex situation). Any part of the line not to be used will be turned into a cycle way and protected against development.

Nick

Thanks for posting 'Proud Salopian' certainly cleared up all the confusion I had.

Things are moving along nicely now - the Society and the Trust have agreed upon what to do with the, now Shropshire County Council owned, line, south of Oswestry.

The Trust will operate from Oswestry to Llynclys and then on to Pant.

The Society will operate from Llynclys to Blodwel and then their Nantmawr branch.

Some news from the two organisations, showing progress...

http://www.cambrian-railways-soc.co.uk/~nantmawr/news.html

http://www.cambrianrailwaystrust.com/html/latest_news.html

:)

(North of Oswestry and things turn more complicated, thanks to Network Rail not really wanting steam trains running into Gobowen!!!)

Daniel

Established Member
Went to both when they were still unfriendly, I thought both seemed pretty rubbish! Hopefully they'll improve now they have 'joined forces'.

Status
Not open for further replies.