• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian stations temporarily closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unixman

A number of stations on the Cambrian are temporarily closing because
" in order to maintain a safe distance between the conductor and customers, we need to be able to operate two train doors. Unfortunately due to the short platform length at these stations, this is not possible. "

The stations are: Llanbedr, Llanaber, Llandanwg, Tygwyn and Aberech ...

Closed stationClosest alternativeDistance to closest alternative
LlanaberBarmouth2 ½ miles
LlanbedrPensarn1 mile
LlandanwgPensarn1 mile
TygwynTalsarnau1 ½ miles
AbererchPenychain2 ½ miles

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
That seems like an utter nonsense to me and is the start of yet another slippery slope.

Veteran Member
Presumably local door operation on 20m platforms? Fortunately the coast is effectively closed, but Llanaber will cause problems when the caravan sites reopen.....

David Goddard

Established Member
Why can't the conductors open the door, get out of the way (either into the cab or onto the platform) to let passengers on/off, then return to close the doors? Sounds like a knee jerk decision that's not been thought out.

A0wen

On Moderation
Looks like they're request stops in any case. Only have minimal use on the whole so a temporary closure isn't that significant.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Why can't the conductors open the door, get out of the way (either into the cab or onto the platform) to let passengers on/off, then return to close the doors? Sounds like a knee jerk decision that's not been thought out.
Looks like they're request stops in any case. Only have minimal use on the whole so a temporary closure isn't that significant.

Going to hazard a guess these are station with basically no passengers at present anyway...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any other short-platformed stations on the network where similar considerations might apply?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Also worth remembering that in Wales the 2m rule is in legislation in the work environment.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Well it's the ultimate in social distancing, not stopping at stations where there are very small numbers of passengers boarding / alighting anyway.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Any other short-platformed stations on the network where similar considerations might apply?
There are a number of other station where only one door can be opened.

Presumably the answer is that the doorways on the trains in use are wide enough at those stations. These ones can only be served by class 158 stock, which has exceptionally narrow doorways.

The alternative stations aren't particularly far away and expected passenger numbers are clearly going to be extremely low. They're very low even under the normal circumstances.

No need to get the conspiracy theories out ladies and gentlemen...

Parallel

Established Member
I wonder if some of the short platformed stations on the Heart of Wales Line such as Sugar Loaf will be closed, as well as Gilfach Fargoed.

Seems quite drastic but all stations are lightly used with maybe the exception of Llanbedr.

Also note the incorrect information given the next nearest stations - Llanaber is closer to Barmouth and Talybont than Dyffryn Ardudwy; Llanbedr and Llandanwg are closer to Pensarn and last time I checked, Dyffryn Talsarnau wasn’t a station.

Attachments

• 92F367EF-87CC-46F9-944D-7BE8773729AD.png
    92F367EF-87CC-46F9-944D-7BE8773729AD.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C33EAE43-576D-4C9D-A570-376AC3A9240F.png
    C33EAE43-576D-4C9D-A570-376AC3A9240F.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Basically various people who have had 'Covid Risk Workshops' where they will have come up with all sorts of rules and regulations to make life difficult but with little real effect on reduction of transmission of the virus. Most would call it Covid-Boll**ks!

Meole

These stops used more in the winter when the service is free on the bus pass.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This has now branched out from just the Cambrian and we add to the list from July 5th:-

Prees
Earlesrown
Sugar Loaf
Hopton Heath
Llanfair PG (I won't type the full name out for obvious reasons !!!)
Conwy
Gilfach Fargoed

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
This has now branched out from just the Cambrian and we add to the list from July 5th:-

Prees
Earlesrown
Sugar Loaf
Hopton Heath
Conwy
Gilfach Fargoed
You mean to say that in line with the reopening of tourism and leisure travel across Wales, they're actually closing more stations?

I fail to see any logic in this whatsoever.

nedchester

Established Member

Prees
Earlesrown
Sugar Loaf
Hopton Heath
Conwy
Gilfach Fargoed

Hang on both Earlestown and Conwy have long(ish) platforms although on a curve (but not sure what that has to do with Covid-19)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Prees
Earlesrown
Sugar Loaf
Hopton Heath
Conwy
Gilfach Fargoed
I'm really struggling to see why Earlestown has been added to this list. The platforms aren't too short for any of the stock TfW are currently using. They're admittedly very curved but what does that matter?

I don't recall Conwy being local door only when I've used it and the platform is certainly long enough for a 2-coach unit to be fully accomodated.

mmh

Established Member
That seems like an utter nonsense to me and is the start of yet another slippery slope.

It is utter nonsense and I note Conwy station, which uses local door release on 3 car trains isn't in their list.

Hang on both Earlestown and Conwy have long(ish) platforms although on a curve (but not sure what that has to do with Covid-19)

Oh dear, I spoke too soon. As above, local door release is sometimes used at Conwy. I'll be commenting on this to TFW and my MS. (Member of the Welsh Parliament)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Could it be that the need to request is the problem ie the passenger has to speak to the guard to request a stop, the guard is in the back cab avoiding unnecessary contact, the passenger could request upon boarding (at a safe distance) but otherwise has to walk through the train to speak to the guard.
You could, of course, make request stops standard stops instead.

MikeWM

Established Member
Earlestown??? That's the silliest thing I've seen today (and there's enough of them going around).

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Earlestown??? That's the silliest thing I've seen today (and there's enough of them going around).
It's nonsense precisely like this that is why I have always been strongly opposed to having TfW be an operator controlled solely by the Welsh government. They serve many stations in England (and indeed in the case of Shrewsbury to Crewe they are the only operator!). Why should the people of Earlestown, Yorton, Prees or Hopton Heath suffer because of the Welsh government's intransigent attitude to lockdown?

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
What would happen to someone who has a ticket to one of these stations bought before closure announced? Want the in theory answer, and the in practice answer, if different. Like many on here, I think these rules and most of them at moment not just on railways, are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.