• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge [CBG] - Liverpool Street [LST] Via Stansted Airport [SSD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakebite91

Hi All,

Been looking at the Travelcard fares from Cambridge - London Liverpool Street for next Saturday and have found the cheapest to be £22 (£14.50 Railcard). Service wise I want to do direct into Liverpool Street as I need the line from Shepreth Junction - Cheshunt. I also need both lines into Stansted so the one I'm looking at is the 05:42 Ex CBG XC service which is routing me via Stansted Airport and change there for a 06:15 GA service down into Liverpool Street. What I want to know is, is this valid via Stansted with it being a Cambridge - London Travelcard, because I don't want to on it and find out I'm gonna have to pay more to just to go via SSD. When I enter Cambridge - London Liverpool Street on the search engine, it allows it, but yet when I put in Cambridge - Zone U1256 it routes me straight down. So is it permitted to travel via Stansted on a Cambridge Travelcard?

My plan is on the return to complete the other side (Mainline) of the triangle at Stansted Junction. All I need to know is will it be valid for me to go via Stansted Airport and kill 2 birds with one stone?

Cheers Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
The caveat to that is that the £22.60 (£14.95ish with Railcard) Super Off-Peak Travelcard routed Greater Anglia Trains only isn't valid to go via Stansted Airport like that, for obvious reasons.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That line has quote a few odd prices. For starters, tickets to Cambridge, Whittlesford etc are currently cheaper from Liverpool St than from Tottenham Hale.

Until recently, from Liverpool St, a Greater Anglia Only ticket from Liverpool St to Cambridge was cheaper than the ticket to Whittlesford.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The caveat to that is that the £22.60 (£14.95ish with Railcard) Super Off-Peak Travelcard routed Greater Anglia Trains only isn't valid to go via Stansted Airport like that, for obvious reasons.

I was going to point this out, so I'll quote it to reinforce it- the Cambridge-Stansted service is Cross Country. The "any permitted" isn't that much more expensive.

GA do occasionally run services into the airport from the North, but usually only when the line immediately south of the airport is shut for engineering.

snakebite91

Thanks for the replies but the ticket I'm looking at using is the Super Off-Peak Travelcard for £22, not £22.60. The one for £22 shows as just a zone 1 -6 and not restricted to certain TOC's, whereas the one for £22.60 is like you say NXEA Only. Surely the £22 ODT is valid via SSD, as it shows no restrictions?

Both East Coast and Nat Rail website are permitting the ticket via SSD.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/CBG/LST/020313/0530/dep/020313/2100/dep

(Hopefully the link works!)

Thanks again

Established Member
Thanks to Greater Anglia putting their fares up, at weekends where Super Off Peak is available, the 'Greater Anglia only' option is actually more expensive than the 'any permitted' option! Although this only applies to travelcards, not day returns.

'Any permitted' tickets are definitely valid via Stansted Airport, I have used them myself on more than one occasion and revenue staff didn't even raise an eyebrow.

snakebite91

Yeah it will definitely be a Travelcard not just a return, so in all my ticket will be valid via Stansted? Don't wanna come across as not understanding but would rather make sure and avoid forking out more money cos of it.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.