• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge Congestion Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

camflyer

"Not going ahead"

I wasn't against a CC in principle but the proposals were unworkable so I'm pleased they have been scrapped. Let's hope something more sensible comes forward - though knowing how things work around here, probably not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parjon

Why are congestion charges uncommon outside the UK, even in cities with exceptional public transport, like in Switzerland? That suggests that congestion charges might not be necessary if you do what those cities do.
Because those countries aren't based on making up reasons to take money off people for as little as possible in exchange, combined with retaining a modicum of talent in urbanism and general government. The British civil service is intellectually bankrupt, fiscally incompetent, numerically challenged, and logistically incapable. And ain't bovvered to boot.

stuu

Established Member
Because those countries aren't based on making up reasons to take money off people for as little as possible in exchange, combined with retaining a modicum of talent in urbanism and general government. The British civil service is intellectually bankrupt, fiscally incompetent, numerically challenged, and logistically incapable. And ain't bovvered to boot.
Not really. Many countries close entire city centres, or strictly limit who can drive into them - something that would bring the wrath of the idiotic press down if it were tried on the same scale here. That is also usually, but not always, in combination with much better public transport than is offered in an equivalent city in the UK

Historical underinvestment is the problem, and that is politicians fault, not the civil service

camflyer

Not really. Many countries close entire city centres, or strictly limit who can drive into them - something that would bring the wrath of the idiotic press down if it were tried on the same scale here. That is also usually, but not always, in combination with much better public transport than is offered in an equivalent city in the UK

Historical underinvestment is the problem, and that is politicians fault, not the civil service

A better solution for Cambridge would be to make the central area (Regent St to Bridge St) totally car free with deliveries to businesses restricted to certain hours which would allow the overcrowded pavements to be widened and more reliable public transport. Plenty of other small historic European cities manage it. Much fairer than basing access on ability or willingness to pay.

higthomas

A better solution for Cambridge would be to make the central area (Regent St to Bridge St) totally car free with deliveries to businesses restricted to certain hours which would allow the overcrowded pavements to be widened and more reliable public transport. Plenty of other small historic European cities manage it. Much fairer than basing access on ability or willingness to pay.
I agree. I thought a smaller congestion zone would be workable and vaguely feasible. Something like an inner ring road.

Sadly the GCP have wasted a lot of political capital and money flogging a dead horse.

I hope we do end up with something, because with all the new developments nothing is not an ok option (despite what many politicians like).

camflyer

I agree. I thought a smaller congestion zone would be workable and vaguely feasible. Something like an inner ring road.

Sadly the GCP have wasted a lot of political capital and money flogging a dead horse.

I hope we do end up with something, because with all the new developments nothing is not an ok option (despite what many politicians like).

Yes, I'm not against a Congestion Zone in principle but the proposed one was far too big

So yet another Big Plan for Cambridge scrapped following all of time time and money wasted on the Automated Bus thingy so back to the drawing board again

I haven't seen many European cities that have closed off much of the town centre beyond the pedestrianised high streets you get in the UK too. The ones that have sectioned off entire zones are ones with ancient mediaeval centers

Meerkat

Established Member
You don’t want to pedestrianise more than the very centre (plus maybe some surrounding roads during shop hours). Otherwise it becomes a ghost town once the shops shut, putting off walking through to the busy bits.

camflyer

I haven't seen many European cities that have closed off much of the town centre beyond the pedestrianised high streets you get in the UK too. The ones that have sectioned off entire zones are ones with ancient mediaeval centers

Ghent is a good example where the central streets are vehicle free during the day though restrictions are less in the evenings.

Magdalia

Established Member
That is also usually, but not always, in combination with much better public transport than is offered in an equivalent city in the UK
The main purpose of the sustainable travel zone (usually known as the congestion charge) was to generate revenue to fund much better public transport, particularly buses.

I thought a smaller congestion zone would be workable and vaguely feasible.

The proposal got overtaken by events, particularly the so called cost of living crisis. Cambridge has a big issue with income inequality so charging people struggling to pay rent, energy and food bills for access to the roads was not a good look.

And the Stagecoach bus cutbacks of about a year ago showed that significant improvements to bus services would be difficult to deliver, even if the sustainable travel zone could raise the revenue needed to fund them.

I hope we do end up with something, because with all the new developments nothing is not an ok option

So yet another Big Plan for Cambridge scrapped following all of time time and money wasted on the Automated Bus thingy so back to the drawing board again
Don't expect anything significant before the General Election.

At least we will be getting Cambridge South Station in 2025.

The ones that have sectioned off entire zones are ones with ancient mediaeval centers
Which is what Cambridge has.

A better solution for Cambridge would be to make the central area (Regent St to Bridge St) totally car free
Impossible without blocking access to the Grand Arcade and Park Street car parks.

In my view, with 50 years of experience, congestion on Cambridge roads is actually a good thing that we should keep. It is one of the things that make cycling the quickest way around the city, and the slower the vehicle traffic moves, the safer it is for cyclists and pedestrians. The main downside of congestion is pollution, which will be reduced as more vehicles go electric.

camflyer

The main purpose of the sustainable travel zone (usually known as the congestion charge) was to generate revenue to fund much better public transport, particularly buses.

The trouble is that raising taxes/fees now with the promise of better services in the future is always hard to sell especially at the time when the councils and operators are cutting bus services.

Cycling may be great for those fortunate enough to live in central Cambridge but bikes are next to useless for those who need to get there for work or leisure.

Impossible without blocking access to the Grand Arcade and Park Street car parks.

In my view, with 50 years of experience, congestion on Cambridge roads is actually a good thing that we should keep. It is one of the things that make cycling the quickest way around the city, and the slower the vehicle traffic moves, the safer it is for cyclists and pedestrians. The main downside of congestion is pollution, which will be reduced as more vehicles go electric.

I was at an event recently at the Corn Exchange at it took over 30 mins to get out of the Grand Arcade carpark. It's totally in the wrong place and the land could be far better used but the problem is that there is no alternative for people living out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.