• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Lincoln route validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farigiraf

I'm travelling from Cambridge to Lincoln Saturday 28th October and I have a question:

I have a Super off-peak day return from Cambridge to Ely and an Off-Peak day return from Ely to Lincoln. RailUK Tickets journey planner recommends Cambridge-Peterborough-Lincoln via Ruskington, but:
On the way back, is this combination of tickets valid to go Lincoln-Nottingham and then either Grantham-Peterborough/Ely-Cambridge, Sleaford-Peterborough-Cambridge or Ely-Cambridge (Depending on connections)? I'd want to come back via Elton & Orston (17.11 from Nottingham) for enthusiast purposes (and to minimise time on CrossCountry) but the diversion via Nottingham seems quite substantial.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HughT

Unless I'm mistaken (in which case I'm confident that someone will quickly correct me!), the only valid routes between Peterborough and Lincoln are via (1) Spalding, or (2) Grantham and Newark, ECML (NOT via Nottingham). Sorry.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An Ely to Lincoln ticket is only valid via Spalding and Metheringham, or via Newark and Grantham. Travel via Nottingham is unfortunately not permitted; you would need to buy additional tickets to cover you between Newark and Grantham via Nottingham.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Without checking the routeing guide, I'd say it's a safe bet that the ticket you have is not valid to go via Nottingham.

MikeWM

Established Member
Unless I'm mistaken (in which case I'm confident that someone will quickly correct me!), the only valid routes between Peterborough and Lincoln are via (1) Spalding, or (2) Grantham and Newark, ECML (NOT via Nottingham). Sorry.

A quick look at the routing guide seems to confirm this, but with the large caveat that I'm not terribly experienced at using it so may not be doing it entirely correctly.

Though I'm surprised that Ely->Peterborough->Grantham->Sleaford->Lincoln doesn't appear to be allowed either. Surely that ought to be allowed?

jfollows

Established Member
The routeing guide for Ely to Lincoln (Cambridge-Lincoln is irrelevant because you have two tickets, each of which has to be considered separately) gives
LN
LN + DG
at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps
LN is Peterborough-Spalding-Sleaford-Lincoln
DG is Nottingham-Lincoln but you can only use it where it intersects with LN, eg Newark, not Nottingham.

Though I'm surprised that Ely->Peterborough->Grantham->Sleaford->Lincoln doesn't appear to be allowed either. Surely that ought to be allowed?
It would be if it were the shortest route, or within 3 miles of it, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

Farigiraf

An Ely to Lincoln ticket is only valid via Spalding and Metheringham, or via Newark and Grantham. Travel via Nottingham is unfortunately not permitted; you would need to buy additional tickets to cover you between Newark and Grantham via Nottingham.

Thanks for the info, at least via Newark is something interesting, but which services is it valid on? Lincoln-Newark I want to go by EMR as the LNER from Lincoln involves a long wait time at Peterborough, but from there the options I can see are LNER, (Would the Edinburgh+ trains allow me on for a short hop?) or Hull Trains to Grantham and then EMR to Ely.

On the way back this would be interesting, I could purchase a return from Grantham to Aslockton/Bingham for a bit extra and do Lincoln-Newark-Grantham then to Elton&Orston and back (to Grantham or Sleaford, depends connections) then Cambridge.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
It would be if it were the shortest route, or within 3 miles of it, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

The mileage tables in the current NRT have Grantham -> Lincoln (via Newark) at 31.25 miles and (via Sleaford) at 38.75 miles, so not within the 3 miles rule.

Nevertheless, this seems an entirely reasonable route and I fail to see why it shouldn't be allowed.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Newark and Grantham via Nottingham
As a previous thread here not so long ago highlighted, a Newark Castle/Northgate to Nottingham ticket is not valid via Grantham either.

The reason I highlight this is that a return ticket would not cover Newark-Nottingham-Grantham as planned.

Thanks for the info, at least via Newark is something interesting, but which services is it valid on? Lincoln-Newark I want to go by EMR as the LNER from Lincoln involves a long wait time at Peterborough, but from there the options I can see are LNER, (Would the Edinburgh+ trains allow me on for a short hop?) or Hull Trains to Grantham and then EMR to Ely

You can travel Lincoln to Newark Castle (or Northgate) on EMR, walk to Northgate as required, then travel to Peterbough on any TOC that serves this journey.

Hull Trains Newark Northgate to Grantham and then EMR to Ely is completely valid. Likewise any LNER that serves Newark and/or Grantham, and Peterborough, is valid.

Last edited:

Farigiraf

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Unless anyone else has a better idea, I think my journey will go:

Cambridge-Peterborough XC, Peterborough-Lincoln EMR

Then on the way back:

Lincoln-Newark EMR (if valid, via Castle), Newark-Grantham Hull Trains (for the fun of it), then if time permits I'll buy a return to Aslockton/Bingham for Elton&Orston, then Grantham-Ely-Cambridge with EMR and GA/GN.

Edit: Oh dear, just realised Hull doesn't stop at Newark anymore. I might still get a "What are you doing on an LNER with a Lincoln to Ely ticket?" though. :)

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Lincoln-Newark EMR (if valid, via Castle), Newark-Grantham Hull Trains (for the fun of it), then if time permits I'll buy a return to Aslockton/Bingham for Elton&Orston, then Grantham-Ely-Cambridge with EMR and GA/GN.
Sounds good. Yes, this is valid via Castle (to walk to Northgate).

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Unless anyone else has a better idea, I think my journey will go:

Cambridge-Peterborough XC, Peterborough-Lincoln EMR

Then on the way back:

Edit: Oh dear, just realised Hull doesn't stop at Newark anymore. I might still get a "What are you doing on an LNER with a Lincoln to Ely ticket?" though. :)
Would work except Hull Trains don’t stop at Newark - Retford and Grantham only in East Mids

Status
Not open for further replies.