• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Camera] Fujifilm Finepix S5600

Status
Not open for further replies.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Right I know a few of you use this cam and I was wondering about the pictures produced. When I clicky the button on my PC to view it actual size it doesn't seem quite that sharp even though apparently it has the same super-CCD processor thingy as the S3 Pro DSLR?

Here's what I mean:
560018dd.png

Compared to S2 Pro:

Any others notice this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
That looks like noise to me - I'm guesing low lighting conditions, possible use of zoom and a fast shutter speed might all have contributed to this. Take a look at the 'photography advice sticky' where noise is discussed.

Dennis

Established Member
TicketMan said:
What you need is a S9500 like me :)

Me too - bought it on Friday but have not had a chance to use it properly yet (rain all day Saturday, busy yesterday and piddling down intermittently today).

The things got more controls on it than the electron microscope I use at work!! Looking forward to Wednesday when I have a day off and the sun will be shining wherever I go.

LucaZone

Also can you be sure that your taking your picture at the same resolution as the other example you gave.

Digital zoom simply increases the pixel size rather than physically zooming in like the Optical does. So try and stay out of the Digital part when taking pics.

TicketMan

Dennis said:
Me too - bought it on Friday but have not had a chance to use it properly yet (rain all day Saturday, busy yesterday and piddling down intermittently today).

The things got more controls on it than the electron microscope I use at work!! Looking forward to Wednesday when I have a day off and the sun will be shining wherever I go.

Seems quite user friendly tho - If I can produce decent shots with it, anyone can lol

ChrisM

The photos above are not a like for like scene so having the same sensor means nothing as the 67 has been taken in dull weather which means higher ISO so more noise and the one below has been taken in sun meaning low ISO so better quailty.
What settings (auto or manual) and condition did you take the 67 in,which might help answer the question better.
Have a S5600 myself and think it's a good camera and think my photos are ok in quailty.

PeterH

I usea 5500 as i dont want to carry all my olympus stuf around i think most of the finepix cameras are great but im geting a 9500 later in the year hope its as good

16CSVT2700

Established Member
ChrisM said:
The photos above are not a like for like scene so having the same sensor means nothing as the 67 has been taken in dull weather which means higher ISO so more noise and the one below has been taken in sun meaning low ISO so better quailty.
What settings (auto or manual) and condition did you take the 67 in,which might help answer the question better.
Have a S5600 myself and think it's a good camera and think my photos are ok in quailty.

Ah yeah good point.
I took the shot in auto mode. Erm time: 19:31pm so it was getting a bit dark. I'll have a hunt around for pics taken in similar conditions..
[EDIT]
LucaZone said:
Also can you be sure that your taking your picture at the same resolution as the other example you gave.

Digital zoom simply increases the pixel size rather than physically zooming in like the Optical does. So try and stay out of the Digital part when taking pics.

Digital zoom is one thing I dont use cos it tends to mess up the phot by crappying it up (best description I can come up with!!)

TicketMan

Digital zoom is pointless - all it does is enlarge the centre of your pic - something that even the most basic image editor can do at home.

Dennis

Established Member
TicketMan said:
Digital zoom is pointless - all it does is enlarge the centre of your pic - something that even the most basic image editor can do at home.

Absolutely correct and also makes framing moving objects needlessly difficult.

Re the dodgy image - the exposure time, aperture and speed may have been recorded and are viewable using properties in windows explorer. Check these for large f-number (=small aperture) and / or high iso speed.

Dennis

Established Member
Which if I rmemeber correctly use CMOS detectors which are much less noisy than CCD's. Shame these cost considerably more than the Finepix S9500 - when making my choice, it was hard to justify the additional cost (I should spend the savings on upgrading my fotopics subscription to one that doesn't degrade the images).

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Holland on Rail said:
You also might concider buying a Canon EOS 300D or EOS 350D
In an ideal world I would get one.. but at this moment in time I don't have the necessary resources to get one :(.

Besides I've only had this cam since January so there's no actual justification in getting rid of my 5600. In any case I don't want another DSLR as I take photos and videos and as a few of you will know (TicketMan, Sprog to name a couple), I got really annoyed carrying around my S2 for phots (which was a beast) AND a nikon coolpix e5000 for videos.
But thank you for the advice though..

In any case, Dennis heres a screen shot of the properties of that particular photo:
info9ir.jpg

Dennis

Established Member
Nothing in those settings particularly likely to cause a problem - just background noise evident in the poor lighting conditions - longer exposure / smaller aperture might have been better.

One common misunderstanding about 'noise' in digital imaging is that shorter exposure times will result in less noise. While technically this is correct, in practice longer exposure times result in a more even distribution of the noise, thus although still there, it is may be less evident when longer exposure times are used.

Obviously, long exposure times are not possible when shooting moving objects so compromises must be made on the aperture / ISO setting when shooting these in poor light.

What might be useful (if the camera allows it) is to bracket exposures over a series of times / apertures when shooting and select the best image.

If noise continues to be a problem, I really would reccommend 'neat image', I was truly astounded by how well this worked.
[EDIT]
Just to confirm I'm not talking boll**ks (as I sometimes do!), and get a bit of practice driving my new camera, I thought I'd take a few test images of a dark subject in dim light.

A selection of the results can be viewed at http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/c975808.html. This confirms how apparent noise levels are reduced when exposing for longer times and that just leaving the camera on auto can still provide near optimum results even in difficult circumstances. Surprisingly, the image on the night setting was completely underexposed and no detail whatsoever was visible.

I found this exercise a useful learnng experience.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Wow! Cheers dennis!!

I'll have to produce some test shots for you later on when I get home from college. I'll use my OO model of 50007 as its got quite dark colours so should produce similar results. I'll play around with it a bit..

As for neat image I don't think my cam has that, I'll check the manual just in case!

Dennis

Established Member
'neat image' can be downloaded from a link in one of the stickies. The auto-filters don't do a good job on every image (I found ~10% were made worse) but is still worth a go - it's free and only takes a couple of minutes to get working.

Went out and about for the first time with my Fuji S9500 today, bashing the Felixtstowe line - I found it quite hard remembering that I now have a camera that can be controlled to a much greater extent than what I am used to - more practice needed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.